Will a Photon Inside a Perfectly Reflecting Box Eventually be Detected?

• Thread starter Dmitry67
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collapse
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of detecting whether a photon is inside a box without directly opening the box. This is done through indirect methods such as measuring gravitational attraction or Hawking radiation. The concept of gravity-induced decoherence is also brought up. The conversation also touches on the idea of quantizing gravity and the temperature and radiation of the box in question. There is also a mention of Penrose's suggestion of objective collapse based on gravity.
dmtr said:
The only argument against it (that I could see, from a layman point of view!) is that the gravity is too weak, to create enough information loss/decoherence (to explain the wavefunction collapse/time arrow).
Decoherence explains neither the wave function collapse (except in MWI) nor the time arrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
Dmtr, see my post #33.

What if we, for a minute, forget about the negative energy and possibility of canceling the gravity. Would we be able to outline the explanation of the appearance of the wavefunction collapse for macroscopic objects/time arrow via this 'gravity-induced decoherence' mechanism?

Demystifier said:
Decoherence explains neither the wave function collapse (except in MWI) nor the time arrow.

Uh. Ok. And if we assume MWI?

Last edited:
dmtr said:
What if we, for a minute, forget about the negative energy and possibility of canceling the gravity. Would we be able to outline the explanation of the appearance of the wavefunction collapse for macroscopic objects/time arrow via this 'gravity-induced decoherence' mechanism?

Uh. Ok. And if we assume MWI?
If we assume MWI and take decoherence into account, then we don't need gravity to explain the appearance of the wave function collapse. The electromagnetic interaction is sufficient (and dominating) for most purposes.

Of course, MWI has the problem of explaining the Born rule, but that's another story, and gravity certainly does not help in it.

Fra said:
I personally find gravity to be far more "mysterious" than and information update, so for me, I think the more natural path of inference is to rather post-dict gravity, from mutual information updates. Gravity could somehow be some particular "DC-component" in an ambient chaotic HF information update. In this sense, perhaps the notion of a physical graviton in the ordinary sense is a doubtful, since ALL information carriers in a sense universally enters this abstraction. The universality of gravity, would then relate to the universality of information capacity. All information needs to be encoded in physical degrees of freedom, and the "inertia" of information update, might be related to "gravitational forces".

I don't think that gravity is that mysterious.
And I don't agree with Pensrose because I think gravity does not give a solution to collapse, as I believe in MWI
But to some extent it is special.

Demystifier said:
But the difference is not so much between gravity and electromagnetism, but between the SOURCES for gravity and electromagnetism. If gravitational sources with negative energy existed (e.g., the Casimir effect is believed to represent such a source), then gravity could be killed too, at least in principle.

But even from the MWI perspective... Dont you see it strange...

Say, I measure some QM event. Based on the outcome, I can press the button (in another branch i don't do it). The button launches a rocket into a neutron star which has ALMOST collapsed, adding more mass and creating a black hole.

So black hole exists in one branch only.

So the whole background for QM becomes different... The whole arena for the "omnium" and wavefunctions... Space is differently curved... Nothing similar happens with electromagnetism.

Dmitry67 said:
But even from the MWI perspective... Dont you see it strange...

Say, I measure some QM event. Based on the outcome, I can press the button (in another branch i don't do it). The button launches a rocket into a neutron star which has ALMOST collapsed, adding more mass and creating a black hole.

So black hole exists in one branch only.

So the whole background for QM becomes different... The whole arena for the "omnium" and wavefunctions... Space is differently curved... Nothing similar happens with electromagnetism.

I don't know about strange, but it is likely to be very complex. I take it some kind of "sum over geometries" approach can be used for that. With the math well above of the level of GR/QM/QFT...

Demystifier said:
The same mechanism which is responsible for Hawking radiation (created by a COLLAPSING black hole) is also responsible for radiation from ANY time-dependent gravitational field. The horizon is responsible for the thermal spectrum of the radiation, but not for the creation of radiation itself.

So would this box radiate or not? And if it would, with what spectrum and for how long? I'm not asking for a precise answer, just your best guess.

Yes.
In MWI, even "worlds" lose an ability to communicate, non-diagonal elements of the matrix are not exactly zero, just very small.

So theoretically there is some communication. It is easy to imagine it in flat spacetime. But if in one branch spacetime is flat while in another there is a black hole... wow...

dmtr said:
So would this box radiate or not? And if it would, with what spectrum and for how long? I'm not asking for a precise answer, just your best guess.
It would probably radiate. Almost anything that has a temperature or any form of activity radiates, at least a little bit.