Will Decreasing Stem Diameter Affect Seal Point?

In summary: I'm wrong :(In summary, the smaller the stem, the less pressure is exerted against the seal, but it is still sufficient to keep the water inside.
mido
Hi All,

Me and my friend are having a dispute on whether or not, decreasing the diameter of the stem from 30 to 15mm will have any impact on the sealing point as shown on the picture attached. Can you please help if you can?

Attachments

• IMG_2745.JPG
    IMG_2745.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_2745.JPG
    IMG_2745.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
mido said:
Me and my friend are having a dispute on whether or not, decreasing the diameter of the stem from 30 to 15mm will have any impact on the sealing point as shown on the picture attached. Can you please help if you can?
So, what are his and your arguments?

He is saying basically, decreasing the diameter will have no impact on the force against the seal, I disgree

mido said:
He is saying basically, decreasing the diameter will have no impact on the force against the seal, I disgree
That's your conclusions. But what are the presented reasons for either position?

A.T. said:
That's your conclusions. But what are the presented reasons for either position?
I don't think you understand what's going on

mido said:
If that was your only argument, no wonder your friend was unconvinced.

mido said:
I don't think YOU understand what is going on. We don't spoonfeed here. We want you to lead us through the entire line of logic. Then we'll help with bumps back to the right path if it goes astray.

A.T. said:
If that was your only argument, no wonder your friend was unconvinced.
You keep asking irrelevant questions, all i wanted to know whos right and wrong, force is presssure x area, the larger the area the higher the force, do u want me to solve this question for u ?

mido said:
force is presssure x area
Only for a flat surface. For arbitrary surfaces you have to integrate the pressure over the surface. See equation 2.17 here:

http://www.ae.metu.edu.tr/~ae244/docs/FluidMechanics-by-JamesFay/2003/Textbook/Nodes/chap02/node13.html

This is strange to be honest, I would never imagine a 1mm and a 10mm of water height will exert same amount of pressure. I know this is very basic physics principles but still doesn't make sense to me :(

mido said:
This is strange to be honest, I would never imagine a 1mm and a 10mm of water height will exert same amount of pressure. I know this is very basic physics principles but still doesn't make sense to me :(
Not sure what you mean. But regarding your plug: The outer part of what you call "stem" has the same pressure from both sides, so the forces on it cancel, and thus reducing that outer part doesn't change the total force from the fluid on the plug. If the seal was at the circumference of the "stem", the force on it would depend on the size of the stem.

Last edited:
OK, let me explain this further, let's call the shaded area (the cap) and the bit inside it (the stem), the stem is connected by a float which is not showing, however, we fill the cap with water which leaves the cap through till floats drag the stem up to the point when the base of the stem (30mm) touches the seal and create a static pressure inside. the distance between the top of the diameter to the inner side of the cap as shown is almost 1 mm. I neglected that area when I have done my calculation since the amount of water between the 2 surfaces where the seal sits is almost nothing, hence the argument.

mido said:
the distance between the top of the diameter to the inner side of the cap as shown is almost 1 mm. I neglected that area when I have done my calculation since the amount of water between the 2 surfaces where the seal sits is almost nothing, hence the argument.
Okay, now I see the 1mm you mean. It doesn't matter if it's 1mm or 1m. If it has the same pressure as the opposite side, then the forces on the equal areas on each side are equal but opposite, so they cancel.

You could float a battle ship on a thin water layer around it.
http://www.physics.montana.edu/demonstrations/video/2_fluidmechanics/demos/battleshipinbathtub.html

Last edited:
top guy, thank you so much...i guess i have to admit I'm wrong :(

1. What is the formula for calculating force on a seal?

The formula for calculating force on a seal is force = mass x acceleration. This means that the force acting on a seal is directly proportional to its mass and the acceleration it experiences.

2. How do you determine the mass of a seal?

The mass of a seal can be determined by weighing it using a scale. Alternatively, you can calculate its volume using the formula for volume of a regular object (length x width x height), and then multiply it by the density of a seal to get its mass.

3. What is the acceleration of a seal?

The acceleration of a seal can vary depending on its movement. For example, if a seal is swimming, its acceleration will be different from when it is resting on land. Generally, the average acceleration of a seal is around 0.5 meters per second squared.

4. How does water affect the force on a seal?

Water has a density that is greater than air, so it exerts more force on an object. This means that a seal will experience more force when swimming in water compared to when it is on land.

5. What are some factors that can affect the force on a seal?

Aside from mass and acceleration, there are other factors that can affect the force on a seal such as the speed of the water or air it is moving through, the shape and size of its body, and external forces like wind or currents.