Will evolution eradicate homosexuality?

• Thread starter markyb1888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary: Exactly, it is not as simple as that. Phenotypes often have very complex relationships with their genotypes. A single gene may be responsible for multiple phenotypes and a single phenotype is almost never the result of a single gene. And when it comes to behavourial patterns, things can get complicated, since developing a one to one relation between behaviour and genes is pretty difficult. Homosexuality as a trait could be a byproduct of the various complex social interactions that our brain is made to cope with. It could also be influenced by...... hormone levels, prenatal development, experiences in early childhood, and social stigma.
jcbrascher said:
I meant no offense. I'm very sorry if my comment was taken as such. I just know that many Americans think they live in the most enlightened society in the world. I've never encountered more closed-minedness than in my own country and it makes me sad. Whenever I've traveled outside the country, I've been met with nothing but kindness.

Don't worry, no offence was taken! All I meant to do was to remind/inform you (and others who read the post) that many members and guests to the site aren't American and so either might not understand the reference or feel automatically isolated from the conversation when one culture is referred to as "we" without clarification.

Biology news on Phys.org
Ryan_m_b said:
Unfortunately no matter how much evidence there was people would still believe this because for the most of them it's a matter of ideology whether religious or culture and evidence doesn't factor into it unless they think it agrees with them.

Obviously it is an impediment to reproduction in the sense that the two reproductive organs that are needed are not present in a homosexual relationship however there are other avenues and hopefully technologies that will be matured for use in the future.
QUOTE]

So true. It amazes me how many of our (US) political candidates don't even believe in evolution. Or global climate change. And I think the evidence for both of those is much more abundant than any evidence that homosexuality isn't a disease or mental illness.

Humans are a funny species.

Ryan_m_b said:
Don't worry, no offence was taken! All I meant to do was to remind/inform you (and others who read the post) that many members and guests to the site aren't American and so either might not understand the reference or feel automatically isolated from the conversation when one culture is referred to as "we" without clarification.

Got it. Thank you! :smile:

Will homosexuality eradicate evolution is much more terrifying question.

purefaith33 said:
Will homosexuality eradicate evolution is much more terrifying question.

...:confused:

Confused face, is confused...