Will high grades in Organic Chemistry make up for bad grade

In summary, the individual received low grades in General Chemistry 1 and 2 due to missing homework and a heavy course load. However, they were able to improve their grades in Organic Chemistry 1 and 2. The individual is concerned about how graduate schools and other colleges will view their grades and if they will need to retake General Chemistry. It is important for them to have evidence of their ability to succeed in higher level chemistry courses and to fulfill prerequisite requirements. A D grade in General Chemistry may not be sufficient for admission into certain undergraduate courses.
Ricster55
I got a D in Gen Chem 1 and a D+ in Gen Chem 2. Mostly because of missing homeworks and I was taking 5 classes at the same time. But when I restudied both of them, and took Organic Chemistry, I managed to get A- in both Orgo 1 and 2. How will graduate school see this? And also, if I were to transfer from one college to another (I'm an undergraduate), how will they see this? I'm saying in general for all colleges. How will they look at it, with bad grades in General Chemistry, but good grades in Organic Chemistry, regardless if you are a transfer student or a graduate student? Do I have to retake General Chemistry 1 and 2 again:nb)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ricster55 said:
I got a D in Gen Chem 1 and a D+ in Gen Chem 2. Mostly because of missing homeworks and I was taking 5 classes at the same time. But when I restudied both of them, and took Organic Chemistry, I managed to get A- in both Orgo 1 and 2. How will graduate school see this? And also, if I were to transfer from one college to another (I'm an undergraduate), how will they see this? I'm saying in general for all colleges. How will they look at it, with bad grades in General Chemistry, but good grades in Organic Chemistry, regardless if you are a transfer student or a graduate student? Do I have to retake General Chemistry 1 and 2 again:nb)?
You need credible evidence (like what shows on course transcripts) that you can continue beyond Organic Chemistry 1&2. Verification that your General Chemistry as prerequisite has been fulfilled will be necesary for Analytical/Quantitative, Inorganic, and Physical Chemistry courses. Having grade of D in General Chemistry will definitely not qualify you for these other undergraduate courses.

1. Will getting a high grade in Organic Chemistry compensate for a bad grade in another subject?

While having a high grade in Organic Chemistry can certainly boost your overall GPA, it may not completely make up for a bad grade in another subject. Admissions committees and employers often look at your overall academic performance, so it is important to strive for good grades in all subjects.

2. Can I still pursue a career in science or medicine if I have a bad grade in Organic Chemistry?

One bad grade in Organic Chemistry does not mean you cannot pursue a career in science or medicine. It is important to assess the reasons for the bad grade and work on improving your understanding of the subject. There are also many other factors that are taken into consideration for these career paths, such as research experience, extracurricular activities, and letters of recommendation.

3. Will a high grade in Organic Chemistry guarantee my success in future chemistry courses?

While a high grade in Organic Chemistry is certainly a good indicator of your understanding in the subject, it does not guarantee success in future chemistry courses. Each course builds upon the knowledge and skills learned in previous courses, so it is important to continue studying and practicing to maintain a strong foundation in chemistry.

4. Should I retake Organic Chemistry if I received a bad grade?

Retaking Organic Chemistry can be a good option if you are determined to improve your understanding and skills in the subject. However, it is important to consider the reasons for the bad grade and assess if retaking the course is the best solution. It may also be beneficial to seek additional help, such as tutoring or study groups, to improve your understanding.

5. Can a bad grade in Organic Chemistry affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

A bad grade in Organic Chemistry may impact your chances of getting into graduate school, but it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your overall academic performance, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement are also important factors. If you received a bad grade, it is important to address it in your application and explain any extenuating circumstances.