Will I be allowed to skip Calculus II if I do this? I passed Calculus III

In summary, the individual took the AP Calculus BC exam and believes they did poorly. They plan to take Calculus III over the summer and are currently doing okay in the course. They are concerned about having to retake Calculus II in the fall as a freshman at their university. The expert recommends checking with the university to see if they will give credit for Calculus III and mentions that each university has its own rules. They also suggest checking with the university after receiving their final grade. The expert believes that if the individual does not get the necessary grade, their chances of receiving credit are low. The expert also mentions that some universities have placement exams.
bignum
This is my situation, last week I took the AP Calculus BC exam, I feel like I did really poorly and even if they are going to curve it, I think I am going to end up with a 3 or 4.

Now in this summer, I going to take a Calculus III at a college who has granted me exemption from prerequisites. I am doing it right now and I am doing okay in the course. In fact, I think it is not very difficult to pass this course.

Now here is the problem, this fall when I enter university, I am going to be a freshman. If I get the passing grade from Calculus III at my summer studies, will I have to do Calculus II again at my new university?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to have to ask your new university whether they will give credit or not.

Vanadium 50 said:
You're going to have to ask your new university whether they will give credit or not.

Does granting prerequisite for Calc II won't affect your GPA for grad school? Is that why you are suggesting there is a possibility of success?

No, I am suggesting that the rules at each university are different and you need to check them out. Suppose they say no - "but a bunch of guys on the internet said you'd give me credit!" is unlikely to be persuasive.

Vanadium 50 said:
No, I am suggesting that the rules at each university are different and you need to check them out. Suppose they say no - "but a bunch of guys on the internet said you'd give me credit!" is unlikely to be persuasive.

What do you think my chances of success are?...

Firstly, hav you checked what grade you have to get on the exam to get credit for the course? My university gave credit for a 3 or above on calculus AP exam

bignum said:
What do you think my chances of success are?...

If you don't get the grade, I would think not very high. In my experiences, universities don't like to give away credit if you don't meet the requisite. But heck, what do I know? Your situation is a bit unique, contact the university if you need to after you get your grade. Good luck!

Do universities have placement exams??

Some do, some don't.

Related to Will I be allowed to skip Calculus II if I do this? I passed Calculus III

1. Will passing Calculus III automatically exempt me from taking Calculus II?

No, passing Calculus III does not automatically exempt you from taking Calculus II. Each school or institution may have different requirements for their math courses, so it is best to check with your academic advisor or the math department for their specific policies.

2. Can I skip Calculus II and go straight to Calculus III if I passed Calculus III?

It is possible to skip Calculus II and go straight to Calculus III if you have passed Calculus III. However, this decision ultimately depends on the requirements and policies of your school or institution. It is recommended to consult with your academic advisor or the math department for further guidance.

3. Do I still need to take Calculus II if I passed Calculus III with flying colors?

Yes, even if you passed Calculus III with flying colors, you may still be required to take Calculus II. This is because Calculus II covers different topics and concepts that are essential for building a strong foundation in calculus. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the math department for their specific requirements.

4. Can I take a placement test to skip Calculus II if I passed Calculus III?

Some schools or institutions may offer placement tests that allow students to skip a math course if they demonstrate sufficient knowledge and understanding of the subject. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the math department to see if this option is available.

5. Is it recommended to skip Calculus II if I passed Calculus III?

Skipping Calculus II is not recommended unless it is required or allowed by your school or institution. Calculus II covers important topics and skills that are necessary for success in Calculus III and higher level math courses. It is best to consult with your academic advisor or the math department before making a decision.