Will Michigan Ever Get An Eclipse

• Thread starter Parker Hame
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse
In summary, the conversation discusses the rarity of total solar eclipses and the possibility of one occurring in Michigan. The next total solar eclipse in Michigan is expected to happen in 2024, but there have been several in the past and will be several more in the future. The frequency of total solar eclipses is approximately once every 300 years in any given location on the planet.
Parker Hame
I am from Michigan, I read about the August 2017 eclipse and it's not passing through my home state. I was wondering, is there any formula or even just general common sense that will say if their will ever be a Eclipse in Michigan? I don't care if it's a solar OR lunar eclipse. Will there be an eclipse in Michigan in the next hundread years, thounsand, million, ever? Not many actors or stars in general come to here even though it's a great state. An eclipse would be cool, thank you for taking the time to answer this question if you willing.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! (I've moved this to astronomy).

Lunar eclipses happen about twice a year and are visible everywhere the moon is up at the time (so, half the planet). Unfortunately if you missed the last one in February, the next one that might just barely be visible where you are (not certain) is in January of next year.

Solar eclipses are much rarer. There's some maps and other tools at the bottom of this page:
https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

Though you won't see the sun totally eclipsed this August (unless you drive south...), you will see it partially eclipsed if the weather is good:
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/context/

Likes jim mcnamara and berkeman
Total Solar eclipses are rare and only last about 6h on average, covering a small region, and are less common as you get further from the equator.
I think it could happen in Michigan, but if it was going to happen in the next century, somebody would likely have foreseen that.
The dynamics of Earth/Sun/Moon are very predictable.

Parker Hame said:
Will there be an eclipse in Michigan in the next hundred years,
rootone said:
Total Solar eclipses are rare and only last about 6h on average,

much shorter, an hour or so at the most, and totality only a few minutes
it's the lunar eclipses that go on for several hours from start to finish

rootone said:
I think it could happen in Michigan,

It has in the past ...
24 Jan 1925 the path went across northern MI.
10 May 1994 also almost an identical path to the one below, just a bit further into MI
08 Apr 2024 there's one that passes just on the south side of MI, would take only a short drive to get into the path of totality ( 1 - 3 hrs depending on your location)
11 Jun 2048 totality will be see from nthrn tip area of MI
14 Sept 2099 totality crosses SW corner of MI
04 Aug 2111 an annular solar eclipse through middle of MI
26 Oct 2144 crosses nthrn MI
17 Jul 2205 crosses sthrn MI
21 Feb 2218 crosses nthrn half of MI
06 Jun 2263 crosses nthrn MI
25 Feb 2343 crosses central MI
04 Dec 2345 totality crosses SW corner of MI
05 Jan 2410 totality will be see from nthrn tip area of MI

there you go, can be bothered going any furtherDave

2866that's out to the year 3000

Thanks, it turns out I was wrong, I knew the path of the sun and moon was predictable, which is why I asked (I knew it wasn't impossible). I live
bout 9 miles east of St. Johns and about 10 miles west of Owosso. Basically just east of perfect central Michigan. Northeast of Lansing. I give an even bigger thankyou for the very fast answers.

Likes davenn and russ_watters
Wait your turn. There hasn't been a total solar eclipse in the greater St Louis area since 1442 - that's even before my time. We will be treated to another in 2024 in case this one gets rained out. Heavy tourism is anticipated. It is expected to draw more people here in August than the 1979 Grateful Dead concert in Carbondale, IL. After 2024, the next one here will not be until 2505.

Chronos said:
After 2024, the next one here will not be until 2505.

The next Grateful Dead concert?

Likes jim mcnamara
Chronos said:
Wait your turn. There hasn't been a total solar eclipse in the greater St Louis area since 1442 - that's even before my time. We will be treated to another in 2024 in case this one gets rained out. Heavy tourism is anticipated. It is expected to draw more people here in August than the 1979 Grateful Dead concert in Carbondale, IL. After 2024, the next one here will not be until 2505.
It appears you didn't read through my lists above :wink:
and the OP was talking about MI in general, not a specific city/location :smile:D

Last edited:
If you stand in one spot long enough anywhere on the planet, you will witness a total solar eclipse approximately once every 300 years. :cool:

1. Will Michigan ever experience a total solar eclipse?

Yes, Michigan will experience a total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024. It will pass through the southern part of the state and will be visible for approximately 4 minutes.

2. How often do total solar eclipses occur in Michigan?

Total solar eclipses occur in Michigan approximately once every 375 years. The last one occurred in 2017 and the next one will occur in 2024.

3. What is the best place in Michigan to view a total solar eclipse?

The best place to view a total solar eclipse in Michigan is in the southern part of the state, where the path of totality will pass through. Some recommended locations include Detroit, Ann Arbor, and Grand Rapids.

4. Can I safely view a total solar eclipse in Michigan?

Yes, it is safe to view a total solar eclipse in Michigan as long as you take proper precautions. It is important to use certified eclipse viewing glasses or a solar filter on your camera or telescope to protect your eyes from the sun's harmful rays.

5. How can I prepare for the next total solar eclipse in Michigan?

To prepare for the next total solar eclipse in Michigan, you can research the exact date and location of the eclipse and plan to travel to a prime viewing location. It is also recommended to practice safe viewing techniques and stock up on eclipse viewing equipment beforehand.