Will my wrist watch slow down on planet Jupiter?

In summary: Right, I could see that particular oppertunity for confusion arise if thread had employed a relativistic steam train, as such threads on relativity often tend to do.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
Does my wrist watch slows down on planet Jupiter?
Relevant Equations
Does my wrist watch slows down on planet Jupiter?
Does my wrist watch slows down on planet Jupiter? I know Jupiter's gravity is greater than Earth's gravity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benjamin_harsh said:
Problem Statement: Does my wrist watch slows down on planet Jupiter?
Relevant Equations: Does my wrist watch slows down on planet Jupiter?

Does my wrist watch slows down on planet Jupiter? I know Jupiter's gravity is greater than Earth's gravity.
No. That is a common misconception. To a person on Earth it will look like your watch has slowed down but to you it will not because it HAS not. That misconception confuses gravitational time dilation (appearance of rate change) with differential aging. If you go to Jupiter, stay there a while, and then return to Earth you will be a bit younger than someone who just stays on Earth but that's differential aging, not an actual slowing of your clock or your biological processes. It will happen because you've taken a different path through space-time.

Benjamin_harsh said:
I know Jupiter's gravity is greater than Earth's gravity.
It would appear that you are concerned with gravitational time dilation. You should know that gravitational time dilation does not scale with the local acceleration of gravity (e.g. Jupiter being approximately 3 g's). Instead, it scales with gravitational potential.

Gravitational potential at a planet's surface is given (in the Newtonian approximation) by ##-\frac{g_s}{r}## where ##g_s## is the surface gravity and ##r## is the planet's radius. The gravitational potential at Jupiter's surface is about 29 times Earth's potential at its surface.

This does not mean that time passes 29 times as slowly on Jupiter. It does mean that if you look at the time dilation rates relative to hypothetical clocks "at infinity" using a reasonable coordinate system you might find something like 1.0000001 at Earth and 1.0000029 at Jupiter. (Numbers made up).

Allow me to add some engineer hand-waving.

If the gravitational dilation factor ##f = t_0/t_\infty## (i.e. local clock rate relative to clock rate at infinite) at distance ##r## from the center of a spherical gravitational field of mass ##m## can be found as $$f = \sqrt{1-\frac{2 G m}{r c^2}}$$ then for ##f## near 1 we can, to ease the numerical work, use the approximation $$f \approx 1 - \frac{Gm}{r c^2} = 1 - k, $$ where we now can work with ##k## values instead.

Further, we can get the dilation factor for the surface of a planet around a star relative to infinity, for instance for Earth and Jupiter in orbit around the Sun, by multiplying the factor for position in the planets field with the factor for the position in the stars field.

If I punch those ##k##-numbers into a spreadsheet then for Earth I get ##k_E \approx 1.1\cdot10^{-8}## (combined from a surface and orbit ##k## around ##6.9\cdot10^{-10}## and ##9.8\cdot 10^{-9}##) and for Jupiter I get ##k_J \approx 2.3\cdot 10^{-8}## (combined from a surface and orbit ##k## around ##2.1\cdot 10^{-8}## and ##1.9\cdot 10^{-9}##).

Dividing the dilation factors for Earth and Jupiter (both relative to infinity) means that the relative clock rate at Jupiter surface relative to Earth surface should be ##t_J/t_E \approx 1-1.2\cdot 10^{-8}.## That means a clock on Jupiter surface would loose around 1 sec every 930 days relative to a clock on Earth due to gravitational dilation alone.

Last edited:
Filip Larsen said:
Allow me to add some engineer hand-waving.
Amusing turn of a phrase. :smile:
An oxymoron, I'd say.

DaveC426913 said:
Amusing turn of a phrase. :smile:
An oxymoron, I'd say.

Except if the engineer is driving a train then hand waving may mean bye bye or get off the track depending on where you are standing.

• Haha
Likes phinds
DaveC426913 said:
An oxymoron, I'd say.

Indeed, but my intent was to qualify my hand-waving so it wasn't confused with the sometimes more rigorously hand-waving by physicists and especially mathematicians.

jedishrfu said:
Except if the engineer is driving a train then hand waving may mean bye bye or get off the track depending on where you are standing.

Right, I could see that particular oppertunity for confusion arise if thread had employed a relativistic steam train, as such threads on relativity often tend to do. But, luckily, for once, there was no train involved, only clocks and I am not sure clocksmiths have any tradition of waving their hand in the course of their work, quite the opposite I suspect.

• Love
Likes Tom.G

1. Will my wrist watch stop working on planet Jupiter?

No, your wrist watch will not stop working on planet Jupiter. However, it may experience some changes in its timekeeping due to the differences in gravity and atmospheric conditions on Jupiter.

2. Will my wrist watch run faster or slower on planet Jupiter?

Your wrist watch is likely to run slower on planet Jupiter due to its strong gravitational pull. This can affect the movement of the watch's internal mechanisms and cause it to lose time.

3. How much will my wrist watch slow down on planet Jupiter?

The amount of time your wrist watch will slow down on planet Jupiter will depend on its specific design and the conditions on Jupiter. However, it could potentially lose several minutes or even hours over a period of time.

4. Can I wear my wrist watch on planet Jupiter?

Yes, you can wear your wrist watch on planet Jupiter. However, it is important to keep in mind that it may not keep accurate time due to the differences in gravity and atmospheric conditions.

5. Will my wrist watch be affected differently on different parts of planet Jupiter?

Yes, your wrist watch may be affected differently on different parts of planet Jupiter. This is because the gravity and atmospheric conditions may vary in different regions of the planet, causing different levels of timekeeping changes in your watch.