Will objective-c (for OS X and IOS apps) be hard to learn?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of learning iOS/OS X programming with objective-c and the speaker's existing knowledge of basic programming. They seek advice on whether learning C or C++ beforehand is necessary and consider the course prerequisites. It is suggested that learning Objective C is possible with a suitable learning material and that most effort will be focused on mastering the frameworks provided by Apple. The option of learning Swift is also mentioned.
Sebajkz
A friend i know is taking a course on IOS/OS X programming with objective-c, and i thought i might want to learn it too. I already know the very basics of programming, a bit of python and javascript, so i know what things like lists, strings, integers,booleans, floats, loops, functions and objects are. will it be hard for me to learn objective-c? or should i learn C or C++ first?

Technology news on Phys.org
Ask your friend if he thinks C or C++ is a prerequisite to the objective C class. Also check the course prerequisites (but don't trust that completely). There is no doubt that C and C++ are much more main-stream. You might want to start in that direction sometime soon.

I think you have enough background for learning Objective C in general, provided you find suitable learning materials. The course that your friend is taking may assume more programming background, simply to speed things up a bit and ensure that all the students are at a similar level.

In learning how to write iOS or MacOS apps, most of your effort will be focused on the frameworks (pre-defined classes and functions, etc.) that Apple provides for those platforms, after you have mastered the basics of the Objective-C language.

Objective-C is a powerful and widely used programming language for developing applications on OS X and iOS platforms. It is based on the C programming language and includes features from Smalltalk, making it a unique and versatile language. I would say that learning Objective-C may require some effort and dedication, but it is certainly not impossible.

Based on your background in programming, it seems like you already have a good understanding of the fundamental concepts such as variables, loops, and functions. This will definitely give you a head start in learning Objective-C. However, there are some key differences between Objective-C and other languages like Python and JavaScript that you will need to familiarize yourself with.

One of the main challenges in learning Objective-C may be its syntax, which can seem complex and unfamiliar at first. It uses a combination of C-style syntax and Smalltalk-style method calls, which may take some time to get used to. Additionally, Objective-C also has a unique way of handling memory management, which may require some additional effort to understand.

I would not say that you need to learn C or C++ before learning Objective-C, as they are all different languages with their own unique features. However, having a basic understanding of C may make it easier for you to grasp some of the concepts in Objective-C.

In conclusion, learning Objective-C may require some effort and patience, but with a solid foundation in programming, you should be able to pick it up relatively quickly. I would suggest starting with online tutorials or taking a course to get a better understanding of the language. With practice and determination, you can become proficient in Objective-C and develop applications for OS X and iOS.

1. Will I need prior programming experience to learn Objective-C?

No, you do not need prior programming experience to learn Objective-C. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions can be helpful.

2. How long does it take to learn Objective-C?

The time it takes to learn Objective-C varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as your prior programming experience, level of dedication, and the complexity of the projects you are working on. With consistent practice and dedication, most people can become proficient in Objective-C within a few months.

3. Is Objective-C a difficult language to learn?

Objective-C can be challenging for beginners, especially if you have no prior programming experience. It has a steep learning curve and requires a strong understanding of object-oriented programming principles. However, with practice and patience, it can be mastered.

4. Are there any resources available to help me learn Objective-C?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you learn Objective-C. There are online tutorials, books, and courses specifically designed for beginners. Additionally, the official Apple Developer website has comprehensive documentation and resources for learning Objective-C.

5. Can I use Objective-C for both OS X and iOS app development?

Yes, Objective-C is the primary programming language used for developing apps for both OS X and iOS platforms. However, with the rise of Swift, many developers are transitioning to this newer language for iOS development. It is still possible to use Objective-C for iOS development, but it may be beneficial to learn both languages for a well-rounded skill set.