Will Pluto crash into Neptune?

In summary, the 3:2 resonance between Pluto and Neptune stabilizes Pluto's orbit and keeps it from coming closer to Neptune than 17 AU.
Philosophaie
The orbit of Pluto crosses the orbit of Neptune because the eccentricity of Pluto is much greater than Neptune and the rest of the Planets. This causes Pluto to stray into the path of the orbital plane of Neptune. Using a present day model to calculate a happenning of more than 100 years is a travesty but Pluto will come within 150000km or 0.001au on three separate years:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Any input would be appreciated!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
While Pluto does cross Neptune's orbit as viewed perpendicular to the orbital plane, viewed parallel to the orbital plane it is tilted it over 8 AU above Neptune's Orbit. So while from an 'above' perspective, Pluto does cross Neptune's orbit and become closer to the sun, it's orbit is highly angled and so when it does cross Neptune's Orbit, it is actually about 8 AU above/below Neptune.

There are also other reasons why this relationship is stable, and Wikipedia has a good overview of those:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto#Relationship_with_Neptune

Hmm but our solar system does not spin like a flat disk - it's actually rotating AND moving through space - and all the planets paths are cork screws.

Although it is true that the solar system is moving through space, the entire system is moving roughly "together". So, planetary paths only look like corkscrews when viewed from outside the solar system. Viewed from a reference frame that is stationary relative to the sun, the orbits are elliptical. It does spin like a flat disk (well, almost flat). As already stated, Neptune and Pluto's orbits do not cross, when viewed three dimensionally.

These two bodies have occupied these orbits for quite some time; long enough to have collided long ago if the relationship was not stable.

I think Pluto's orbit is very eccentric and has a higher degree of orbit last I remember, relative to the other 8 planets.

The orbital lines don't actually cross anywhere do they? Is 8 AU enough to make a difference in orbit? I would think very little if not at all..

CosmicEye said:
I think Pluto's orbit is very eccentric and has a higher degree of orbit last I remember, relative to the other 8 planets.

The orbital lines don't actually cross anywhere do they? Is 8 AU enough to make a difference in orbit? I would think very little if not at all..

No, as LURCH said, were the orbits not stable, Pluto and Neptune would have collided long ago.

Philosophaie said:
The orbit of Pluto crosses the orbit of Neptune because the eccentricity of Pluto is much greater than Neptune and the rest of the Planets. This causes Pluto to stray into the path of the orbital plane of Neptune. Using a present day model to calculate a happenning of more than 100 years is a travesty but Pluto will come within 150000km or 0.001au on three separate years:

I don't think it is a 'travesty' to try and predict the future orbital motions of the solar system. The physics and the initial conditions are well enough understood that we can probably predict the orbits of the planets millions of years into the future, and there are multiple groups doing just that. They have found that Pluto's orbit appears to be stable for at least the next 10 million years, but beyond that the orbit becomes chaotic and we lose all predictive power. This link is a good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stability_of_the_Solar_System

Philosophaie said:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Any input would be appreciated!
Where did you get these numbers?

Pluto is locked in a 3:2 resonance with Neptune. Pluto never comes closer than 17 AU to Neptune. Pluto in fact comes closer to Uranus (to within about 11 AU) than it does to Neptune.

I suggest you read the "Dynamics of Pluto" webpage at nineplanets.org, http://nineplanets.org/plutodyn.html The information and the graphics on this page are from the article "Pluto's Heliocentric Orbit" published in "Pluto and Charon" (Stern and Tholen, ed). Astronomy Abstract Service reference: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1997plch.book..127M. A pdf version of the article (unfortunately not the best quality) is at http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/32463/1/94-0204.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Will Pluto crash into Neptune?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that Pluto will crash into Neptune. Both planets are currently orbiting the sun in stable elliptical orbits, and their paths do not intersect.

2. Is there a chance of a collision between Pluto and Neptune?

The chance of a collision between Pluto and Neptune is extremely low. While their orbits do come close to each other, the planets are separated by a significant distance and their gravitational forces keep them from colliding.

3. Could a change in their orbits cause a collision between Pluto and Neptune?

While it is possible for the orbits of planets to change due to external influences, the likelihood of a change significant enough to cause a collision between Pluto and Neptune is highly improbable. The laws of gravity and the stability of their current orbits make a collision between these two planets highly unlikely.

4. What would happen if Pluto did crash into Neptune?

If, in some unlikely scenario, Pluto were to crash into Neptune, it is likely that both planets would be destroyed or significantly altered. The impact would release a massive amount of energy and could potentially have a ripple effect on the other planets in our solar system.

5. Is there any ongoing research or monitoring of Pluto and Neptune's orbits to ensure they do not collide?

Yes, scientists are constantly monitoring the orbits of all planets in our solar system to ensure their stability and to track any potential changes. However, the chances of a collision between Pluto and Neptune are so low that it is not a major concern for current research efforts.