Will the ball clear the net? - Projectiles question

In summary, the ball will clear the net if it is maximum height when it reaches 10.2 metres away from the net, and it will be 0.1342 metres above the net.
LotusTK
There is a question i have done in my textbook and it initially asks you to calculate:

the maximum height of the ball, and how long it takes to arrive at that maximum height.

They give you a vertical velocity component of 5m/s. So i made an equation using t= (v-u)/a

Which gives me t=(0-5)/-9.81 so time = 0.51 seconds.

And with this time i calculated the maximum height using s=ut+1/2 at^2

So i did s = 5 x 0.51 + 0.5 x -9.81 x 0.51^2 = 1.274m
The next part of the question says that a tennis court has a length of 24 metres with a net of height 1.1m, and it asked if the ball would clear this net.

So i deduced that the net will be 12 metres away from the point of launch at the ball. So i did a calculation of d=vt in order to find what horizontal distance the ball had traveled when it is at its maximum height.
d= 20 x 0.51 (the horizontal velocity was given in the question, and the time will remain the same)
so d= 10.2 metres.

This is short of the 12 metres. HOWEVER. I then did another calculation of d=vt, but i changed the d to 12 metres and i kept the velocity the same. I did this in order to find what height the ball would be at, when it traveled the horizontal distance of 12 metres. (how high is it when it arrives at the net)

so t =12/20 = 0.6 seconds.

I then plugged this 0.6 seconds back into the earlier equation of s=ut +1/2 at^2 i used.

s = 5 x 0.6 + 0.5 x -9.81 x 0.6^2 = 1.2342m

Comparing this calculation to other shows that the ball will begin to fall at 10.2 metres, but at 12 metres (at the net), it is still at a height of 1.2342 metres, which is high enough to clear the 1.1m net.

So i concluded that eventhough the ball is moving downwards on its parabolic motion when at arrives at the net, it will still clear the net, as it will be 0.1342 metres above the net.

Long explanation but i think i have said it clearly enough? So is all of the above correct? Have i made any errors?

I had to ask here as there are no answers in the back of the book and there are none online... :(

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
All good! :)

Likes LotusTK
Woohoo!

Cheers :D

1. Will the angle of the ball's trajectory affect whether it clears the net?

Yes, the angle of the ball's trajectory will greatly affect whether it clears the net. The steeper the angle, the higher the ball will go and the more likely it will clear the net. If the angle is too shallow, the ball may not have enough height to clear the net.

2. What is the minimum height the ball needs to clear the net?

The minimum height the ball needs to clear the net will depend on several factors such as the ball's initial velocity, angle of trajectory, and the height of the net. In general, the ball should be at least a few inches higher than the top of the net to ensure it clears it.

3. Does the speed of the ball affect its chances of clearing the net?

Yes, the speed of the ball does play a role in whether it clears the net. A faster moving ball will have more momentum and energy, making it more likely to clear the net. However, if the ball is moving too fast, it may also have a flatter trajectory which could decrease its chances of clearing the net.

4. Can backspin or topspin help the ball clear the net?

Yes, backspin and topspin can both help the ball clear the net. Backspin will create an upward force on the ball, giving it more lift and height to clear the net. Topspin, on the other hand, will create a downward force on the ball, causing it to hit the ground and bounce over the net.

5. What role does air resistance play in the ball clearing the net?

Air resistance does play a role in the ball clearing the net. As the ball travels through the air, it will experience air resistance, which will gradually slow it down. This means that the ball's initial velocity and angle of trajectory must be strong enough to overcome the effects of air resistance and still clear the net.