Will the Riemann hypothesis be solved by 2100?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the Riemann Hypothesis and various opinions on its solvability. Littlewood doubts its truth, while John Nash is obsessed with solving it. The speaker's theory suggests that universes where the hypothesis is true are of probability zero, and the conversation also touches on Fermat's Last Theorem and Kurt Gödel's disagreement on the matter. Ultimately, the conversation is deemed off-topic and closed.
donglepuss
What do u think?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?

I once picked up a book on the Riemann Hypothesis and couldn't even understand the first page. LIttlewood said "I can't see any reason why it would be true." John Nash went nuts trying to solve it.

My pet theory is that Universes in which the Hypothesis is true are of probability zero. We just happen to live in this infinite coincidence. :-)

But if Fermat's Last Theorem can be proved then anything is possible.

Sorry, my crystal ball is having major surgery at the moment.

Since no one knows exactly what its internal processes are, the prognosis is grim. :cry:

I'l get back to you if it survives.

If you find an answer before I get back to you, please let me know so your problem can be removed from the "To Do List."

Thank you,
Tom 🤡

Hornbein said:
But if Fermat's Last Theorem can be proved then anything is possible.
Kurt Gödel disagrees.

• Haha
Likes vela, BillTre and Vanadium 50
donglepuss said:
What do u think?
Such speculation is pointless. This thread does not reach PhysicsForums quality standards. It will now be closed.

Likes BillTre, Vanadium 50, renormalize and 1 other person

1. Will the Riemann hypothesis be solved by 2100?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively as it ultimately depends on the progress made in the field of mathematics and the efforts of individual mathematicians. However, many experts believe that it is possible for the Riemann hypothesis to be solved by 2100.

2. What is the Riemann hypothesis?

The Riemann hypothesis is a mathematical conjecture proposed by Bernhard Riemann in 1859. It states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line of 1/2. In simpler terms, it is a statement about the distribution of prime numbers.

3. Why is the Riemann hypothesis important?

The Riemann hypothesis has far-reaching implications in mathematics. Its proof would not only solve one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics, but it would also have significant consequences in fields such as number theory, cryptography, and physics.

4. What progress has been made towards solving the Riemann hypothesis?

Over the years, many mathematicians have attempted to prove the Riemann hypothesis, but it remains unsolved. However, there have been significant advancements in related fields such as the study of prime numbers and the zeta function, which have brought us closer to a potential proof.

5. What are the potential consequences if the Riemann hypothesis is proven to be false?

If the Riemann hypothesis is proven to be false, it would have a major impact on our understanding of prime numbers and the distribution of their properties. It would also require a re-evaluation of many mathematical theories and could potentially open up new avenues of research.