Will this setup work for backyard photometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using the Orion 6-f9 Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph Telescope with a Canon Powershot SX510 HS camera for cheap photometry. While the setup may not be ideal, it is capable of achieving centi to millimag accuracy and has been used for detecting exoplanets. The speaker suggests checking the AAVSO website for more information.
mishima
I've been looking for a way to do photometry cheaply (variables and standards). I have no interest in eyepiece observations of the night sky or astrophotography.

I am currently considering purchasing this: http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...graph-Telescope/pc/1/c/11/sc/345/p/113911.uts

to attach to my already purchased this: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/long-zoom-cameras/powershot-sx510-hs?selectedName=Specifications.

Of course the f-ratio is too slow and the camera garbage, but I was hoping someone with experience tinkering might be able to give me an idea of how this could perform for collecting raw images to get reduced/analyzed.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
mishima said:
I've been looking for a way to do photometry cheaply (variables and standards). I have no interest in eyepiece observations of the night sky or astrophotography.

I am currently considering purchasing this: http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...graph-Telescope/pc/1/c/11/sc/345/p/113911.uts

to attach to my already purchased this: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/long-zoom-cameras/powershot-sx510-hs?selectedName=Specifications.

Of course the f-ratio is too slow and the camera garbage, but I was hoping someone with experience tinkering might be able to give me an idea of how this could perform for collecting raw images to get reduced/analyzed.
Simple answer is yes but not ideal. Have a look at the aavso web site.
Regards Andrew

That setup should work just fine. Differential photometry with nearly any camera and telescope is easily capable of getting centi to millimag accuracy with perhaps a few minutes of exposure time. I've done photometry accurate enough to detect the transit of Exoplanet TrES-3b across its star, where the 30 second to 2 minute sub-exposures have to have about 0.01 mag accuracy, using a CCD and an 8-inch scope, so you should do just fine with your equipment given that you can integrate many more exposures than I could.

Great, that's exciting thanks.

1. Will any backyard setup be suitable for photometry?

No, not all backyard setups will work for photometry. It is important to have a stable and dark location, a quality telescope and camera, and proper software and calibration techniques.

2. Do I need a specific type of telescope for backyard photometry?

Yes, you will need a telescope with a long focal length and a high-quality optical system to ensure accurate measurements. A refracting or reflecting telescope with a minimum aperture of 4 inches is recommended.

3. Can I use any camera for backyard photometry?

No, not all cameras are suitable for photometry. It is important to use a camera with high sensitivity and low read noise, such as a CCD or CMOS camera. DSLR cameras are not recommended as they typically have higher read noise.

4. Is it necessary to have a dark sky for backyard photometry?

Yes, a dark sky is essential for accurate photometry. Light pollution can affect the measurements and introduce errors. It is recommended to set up in a location with minimal light pollution and to use light pollution filters if necessary.

5. Do I need to calibrate my setup for backyard photometry?

Yes, calibration is crucial for accurate photometry. This includes calibrating the dark current, flat field, and bias frames. It is also important to regularly check and calibrate your setup to adjust for any changes or variations in equipment or conditions.

Back