William Ayers turned back at Canadian border

• News
  • Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
In summary, William Ayers was turned back at the Canadian border last night because of a conviction from 1969 for a felony.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Odd bit of denial. What actual threat does the Canadian Government perceive?
TotontoStar said:
William Ayers turned back at Canadian border
Jan 19, 2009 11:22 AM
Debra Black
Staff Reporter

An American education professor, one of the founders of a radical 1960s group known as the Weather Underground, which was responsible for a number of bombings in the United States in the early 1970s, was turned back at the Canadian border last night.

Dr. William Ayers, a professor of education at the University of Illinois-Chicago and a leader in educational reform, was scheduled to speak at the Centre for Urban Schooling at University of Toronto's Ontario Institute for Studies in Education. But that appearance has now been temporarily cancelled.

"I don't know why I was turned back," Ayers said in an interview this morning from Chicago. "I got off the plane like everyone else and I was asked to come over to the other side. The border guards reviewed some stuff and said I wasn't going to be allowed into Canada. To me it seems quite bureaucratic and not at all interesting ... If it were me I would have let me in. I couldn't possibly be a threat to Canada."

Ayers made headlines this summer after Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin suggested that then-Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama hung around with domestic terrorists like Ayers. The professor had hosted a meet-the-candidate event at his home for Obama in 1995, during his run for the state Senate. They also worked together on Chicago school reform and served on a charity board together.

Ayers first rose to notoriety in the early 1970s with the Weather Underground. The group claimed responsibility for bombings at the U.S. Capitol, a Pentagon restroom and New York City police headquarters. In 1970, a townhouse in New York the group was using to build a bomb blew up.

Nowadays, Ayers is known more for his work in educational reform. He has written or edited more than a dozen books — including his 2001 memoir Fugitive Days — and travels around the world giving lectures on education.

Jeffrey Kugler, executive director of the Centre for Urban Schooling, is deeply disappointed in the turn of events. For him it's a question of academic freedom. "It's kind of ironic the day before Barack Obama is going to become president this is what the Canadian border security has done," said Kugler. "It seems ridiculous that one university can't have a professor from another university to come and give a lecture on an important educational topic."

Kugler waited for five hours at the Toronto Island airport for Ayers. He was with a lawyer, but the border guard refused to allow Ayers to see the lawyer.

"The entire four or five hours he was not allowed to have representation at all. To me this is an issue of academic freedom. He could not be a threat to anyone ever. Anyone who knows anything about this man – he's a distinguished scholar at the University of Illinois and he has been involved in education reform over the past 15 years. To imagine in any way he was a threat to Canada is really absurd."
http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/573462

Physics news on Phys.org
What reason did Canada give? I wonder who brought it to the attention of Canadian authorities, his name is not that uncommon.

Yeah. I don't get the payoff.

Why bother?

Outgoing State Department Neocons about to be unemployed causing last second mischief?

Rather than speculate or invent conspiracy theories... we could wait to see if Canada makes an official statement. :tongue:

Two weeks ago upon entering Canada I got hard lined pretty good by border agents.

Ayers past will always haunt him.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Two weeks ago upon entering Canada I got hard lined pretty good by border agents.
I warned them you were coming.

Hurkyl said:
Rather than speculate or invent conspiracy theories... we could wait to see if Canada makes an official statement. :tongue:

Why do that? This is the last day we have to kick around the NeoCons ... until their trials that is.

He has a criminal conviction, so needs to apply for a Visa. You can only enter under visa waiver if you don't have any convictions in the US (that includes DWI GWB!)

mgb_phys said:
He has a criminal conviction, so needs to apply for a Visa. You can only enter under visa waiver if you don't have any convictions in the US (that includes DWI GWB!)
According to Ayers, he does not have a felony conviction. If he's right, Canada will look pretty silly.

"The border agent said I had a conviction for a felony from 1969. I have several arrests for misdemeanors, but not for felonies."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-na-canada-ayers-barr,0,4566981.story

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Canada distinguishes a felony and misdemeanor as far as visa are concerned - it is also based on what the offence would be in Canada - so DWI counts.

He is probably on some US watch list that was shared with the CBSA and some minion who hasn't been keeping up with the news didn't just pass it up the ladder to some superior. The US famously refused Cat Stevens entry in 2004 - but they let Celine Dion in!

You could be right, if it's a misdemeanor for drugs, it's up to the border agent to allow him or block him, apparently they've always allowed him in the past, according to Ayers, but not this time.

Almost all convictions (including DUI, DWI, reckless driving, negligent driving, misdemeanor drug possession, all felonies, domestic violence (assault IV), shoplifting, theft, etc) can make a person inadmissible to Canada, regardless of when they occurred. For this reason, it is not recommended that persons with past convictions attempt to enter Canada without first obtaining necessary documents. It is always the final decision of officers at ports of entry to decide whether a person should be allowed into Canada.[4]

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080525061504AAbEUED

I am assuming this is correct, I have not verfied it, I'm watching House.

I wouldn't be surprised if it would have to do with being on some sort of terrorist watch list given to Canada by the USA.

devil-fire said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it would have to do with being on some sort of terrorist watch list given to Canada by the USA.
But why now, and not on his previous trips to Canada? Unless he's stretching the truth and hasn't been to Canada since 9/11, or he was just added to the list because of his recent media coverage.

I'd guess it was a more recent event ... like the notoriety he gained during the last election.

LowlyPion said:
I'd guess it was a more recent event ... like the notoriety he gained during the last election.

Or they are still catching up on the backlog from Vietnam?
There was a little kid bounced from a flight because his name was on the no-fly list, it was the same name as a long dead journalist who was on Nixon's enemies list.

I assume they are entering names - starting with 'the kaiser' and have just about reached the 60s?

mgb_phys said:
I assume they are entering names - starting with 'the kaiser' and have just about reached the 60s?
:rofl:

I am deeply confused. This guy build nail bombs for a radical terrorist group - explosives designed specifically to inflict horrible injuries through shrapnel. It is only through accident that the bombs killed his fellow terrorists rather than innocent victims. Why does is would-be mass murderer still free?

signerror, it is only because of a slip up in the government's prosecution that Ayer's is still free. He is entirely guilty of everything he has been accused of, and he glories in it. I think it as a very smart move on the part of Canada to keep him out. Any country that can keep him out would be well advised to do so, for the reasons you have just pointed out.

signerror said:
I am deeply confused. This guy build nail bombs for a radical terrorist group - explosives designed specifically to inflict horrible injuries through shrapnel. It is only through accident that the bombs killed his fellow terrorists rather than innocent victims. Why does is would-be mass murderer still free?

Dr.D said:
signerror, it is only because of a slip up in the government's prosecution that Ayer's is still free. He is entirely guilty of everything he has been accused of, and he glories in it. I think it as a very smart move on the part of Canada to keep him out. Any country that can keep him out would be well advised to do so, for the reasons you have just pointed out.

I think this stuff has been discussed many times already.
See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=271924&page=7

"felony" abolished in Canada

mgb_phys said:
I don't think Canada distinguishes a felony and misdemeanor as far as visa are concerned - it is also based on what the offence would be in Canada - so DWI counts.

That's right :smile: … from http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/F/Felony.aspx:
In many regards, nomenclature notwithstanding, the American felony-misdemeanor distinction is similar to that other common law jurisdictions. For example, Canada has a system which divides crime by severity, referring to them as summary conviction offences and indictable offenses. Canada tends to process summary conviction offenses in provincial courts as opposed to federal courts just as the United States maintains separate court systems for felonies and misdemeanors.

This term "felony" is no longer used in England or other Commonwealth countries but remains a major distinction in the United States.

Historically, in England, the term referred to crimes for which the punishment was the loss of land, life or a limb.

Greg Bernhardt said:

I have had several unpleasant experiences entering the U.S., but I have made the round trip between Canada and the U.S. more than a 100 times, many of them when I looked like

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1603710#post1603710,

so I guess this isn't so bad.

Yesterday, some Canadians entering the U.S. to see Obama's inauguration had a nasty experience,

http://www.thestar.com/news/uselection/article/574490.

George Jones said:
Yesterday, some Canadians entering the U.S. to see Obama's inauguration had a nasty experience,

http://www.thestar.com/news/uselection/article/574490.

Well they were born in Somalia or Saudi Arabia. These are not good stamps to have in your passport if you want to avoid discussion at the US border.

How remiss would the agents have been if there was an incident at the inauguration that they could have thwarted by a little care?

LowlyPion said:
Saudi Arabia. These are not good stamps to have in your passport if you want to avoid discussion at the US border.
A country that the US sold $40Bn worth of arms to, fought a war to defend and is the second strongest ally in the middle east? I mean if they were British or French stamps that's understandable.

How remiss would the agents have been if there was an incident at the inauguration that they could have thwarted by a little care?
I think they need to do some better threat profiling if they think black muslim Canadian teenage girls are the major threat to Presient Obama.
Are they turning back white, southern, army veteran, catholic, republican voters at the Mason-Dixon line?

Statistically the greatest assassination threat to the President comes form his own guards. There is a paper modelling this, but basically above a certain size having a large number of your own armed forces surrounding you, especially if they are from a different racial or ethnic group or from an area that they feel is economically disadvantaged becomes a bigger risk than an outside assailant - the classic example is Indira Ghandi.

Last edited:
You mean rednecks, admit it!

drankin said:
You mean rednecks, admit it!
I think we prefer the term Caucasian Americans :biggrin:

But if Military Intelligence isn't an oxymoron they should be looking for a Timothy McVeigh in the 10,000 heavily armed police / army / national guard/ etc around the inauguration rather than stopping young girls at the border because they have gone for the whole body toque look.

mgb_phys said:
But if Military Intelligence isn't an oxymoron they should be looking for a Timothy McVeigh in the 10,000 heavily armed police / army / national guard/ etc around the inauguration rather than stopping young girls at the border because they have gone for the whole body toque look.

That's not to say that they shouldn't also be aware of other threats. But I certainly don't fault them to any great degree. In the final analysis they did decide to do the right thing. And as it turned out they didn't pose a threat. But given the heightened tensions in Gaza and lack of regard for whoever might be engaged in suicide missions, I don't think it takes that much of a stretch to imagine that Saudi and Somali connected individuals might draw increased interest at border crossings.

Used to be you could drive right into the US from Canada in certain locations without any questions or even slowing down. But I think those days are passed.

1. Who is William Ayers?

William Ayers is a retired professor of education from the University of Illinois at Chicago. He is also a former member of the Weather Underground, a radical left-wing organization that opposed the Vietnam War in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

2. Why was William Ayers turned back at the Canadian border?

William Ayers was turned back at the Canadian border because he was deemed inadmissible to Canada under the country's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This act states that individuals who have engaged in or are members of a terrorist or criminal organization are not allowed to enter Canada.

3. Has William Ayers ever been denied entry to Canada before?

Yes, William Ayers has been denied entry to Canada before. In 2013, he was also turned back at the border for the same reason.

4. Is William Ayers facing any legal consequences for being denied entry to Canada?

No, William Ayers is not facing any legal consequences for being denied entry to Canada. This decision was made by Canadian border officials and does not involve any legal charges.

5. Can William Ayers appeal the decision to deny him entry to Canada?

Yes, William Ayers can appeal the decision to deny him entry to Canada. He can submit a request for a Temporary Resident Permit, which would allow him to enter Canada for a specific period of time for a specific purpose. However, the decision to grant a Temporary Resident Permit ultimately lies with Canadian immigration officials.