Wilson's Heart: amantadine binds to proteins in the kidney

In summary: MikeIn summary, in the last episode of House season 4, Amber suffers kidney damage from taking amantadine for the flu. Despite attempts to buy more time through dialysis and cryogenically freezing, House reveals that the drug becomes poisonous when unfiltered and there was no solution. The question arises whether a kidney transplant and blood transfusions could have helped, but it is mentioned that all of Amber's organs had been too damaged for her to qualify for a transplant.
ekdromos
I was watching the Last episode of House for season 4 a few months back, where Amber receives damage to her kidneys making them unable to adequately filter out amantadine she took for a flu. They put her on dialysis and had her cryogenically frozen in an attempt to buy them more time for a proper diagnosis. House later states when unfiltered, amantadine binds to proteins in the kidneys becoming poisonous, and that there was nothing they could do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cNo5NlxP_I"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson%27s_Heart"

My question is fairly simple, and that is couldn’t they have just given her a kidney transplant and blood transfusions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
ekdromos said:
I was watching the Last episode of House for season 4 a few months back, where Amber receives damage to her kidneys making them unable to adequately filter out amantadine she took for a flu.
My question is fairly simple, and that is couldn’t they have just given her a kidney transplant and blood transfusions?

Well, after House seized and Foreman was talking the other fellows, Kutner asked if Amber could receive a heart transplant. Foreman responded that all Amber's other organs had been too damaged and she would never qualify it. I'm assuming that the same facts would eliminate a transplant of any of the other organs. Hth,

What is Wilson's Heart?

Wilson's Heart is a condition caused by an inherited gene mutation that leads to excess copper accumulation in the body. This can result in liver and nervous system damage.

What is amantadine?

Amantadine is a medication commonly used to treat Parkinson's disease and influenza. It works by binding to proteins in the brain and kidneys, leading to increased dopamine levels and improved motor function.

How does amantadine help in Wilson's Heart?

Amantadine binds to proteins in the kidneys, which helps to remove excess copper from the body. This can slow down the progression of Wilson's Heart and prevent further damage to the liver and nervous system.

Are there any side effects of amantadine?

Like any medication, amantadine can cause side effects such as nausea, dizziness, and dry mouth. It is important to talk to your doctor about any potential side effects and to follow their instructions for taking the medication.

Is amantadine a cure for Wilson's Heart?

No, amantadine is not a cure for Wilson's Heart. It can help to slow down the progression of the disease and manage symptoms, but it cannot reverse the gene mutation that causes the condition.

Back