Wilson's Theorem: Solve 16!x congruent to 5 (mod 17)

• Thread starter ribbon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, there are multiple solutions for x in the equation 16!x is congruent to 5 (mod 17), with all solutions being 17 apart from each other. The more mathematical way to express this is by saying x=(-5) mod 17.
ribbon

Homework Statement

16!x is congruent to 5 (mod 17). Find x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if I have the answer correct, but I would like to know if I am following rules of modular arithmetic correctly.

According to Wilson's Theorem, (p-1)! + 1 is congruent to 0 mod(p) where p is prime.

So can I say for this problem since (17-1)! + 1 is congruent to 0 (modp) -> move the one to the other side of congruence to get 16! congruent to -1 (mod p) and multiply both sides of the congruence by -5, requiring x = -5?

Physics news on Phys.org
ribbon said:

Homework Statement

16!x is congruent to 5 (mod 17). Find x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if I have the answer correct, but I would like to know if I am following rules of modular arithmetic correctly.

According to Wilson's Theorem, (p-1)! + 1 is congruent to 0 mod(p) where p is prime.

So can I say for this problem since (17-1)! + 1 is congruent to 0 (modp) -> move the one to the other side of congruence to get 16! congruent to -1 (mod p) and multiply both sides of the congruence by -5, requiring x = -5?

Sure x=(-5) works. So does x=12. So does x=(-22). There are a lot of solutions. What do they all have in common?

Hmm, well I can see that they are all 17 apart (17 like the modulus), is there a more mathematical way to express or suggest that?

ribbon said:
Hmm, well I can see that they are all 17 apart (17 like the modulus), is there a more mathematical way to express or suggest that?

How about saying x=(-5) mod 17? Just saying x=(-5) isn't really telling the whole story. That's all.

Likes 1 person
Oh I see... thanks very much. That indeed demonstrates there to be more than one possible solution for x.

What is Wilson's Theorem?

Wilson's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a prime number p divides (p-1)!, then p is a factor of (p-1)!. It can also be stated as (p-1)! is congruent to -1 (mod p).

How is Wilson's Theorem used to solve equations?

Wilson's Theorem can be used to solve equations where the factorial of a number is congruent to a number (mod p). In this case, the number must be a prime number and the solution can be found by using the theorem.

What is the significance of the equation 16!x congruent to 5 (mod 17)?

This equation is significant because it is an example of using Wilson's Theorem to solve an equation. In this case, the solution for x can be found by finding the inverse of 16! (mod 17) and multiplying it by 5.

How do you find the inverse of 16! (mod 17)?

To find the inverse of 16! (mod 17), we can use the Extended Euclidean Algorithm. This algorithm involves finding the greatest common divisor of 16! and 17, and then using the coefficients from the algorithm to find the inverse.

What is the solution for x in the equation 16!x congruent to 5 (mod 17)?

The solution for x in this equation is 2. This can be found by using the inverse of 16! (mod 17), which is 9, and multiplying it by 5. Therefore, 9*5 = 45, which is congruent to 2 (mod 17).