Win 10 bug: "explorer" folder window spontaneously dies

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug Window
In summary, Windows 10 closes automatically without warning or indication of what is going on. This problem seems to be related to a mapped drive that is having trouble being synchronized. Changing the Group Policy setting to "Update" fixes the problem.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I have to reopen my folder window almost every time it goes out of focus because it dies and disappears.
This has been going on since I first got this laptop (Acer Aspire 5) with Windoze 10.

I open my Explorer window to look through some files, and if I leave it to go to another app, it spontaneously disappears.
This happens whether I alt-tab to another full screen window or even if I set it up side-by-side so I can see it while I bring another window into focus. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, if the folder window gets blurred, it waits about two seconds then closes.

It shrinks down as it closes - as if it is closing properly - as opposed to simply halting and dying.

I get regular updates from MS so there's no reason why my files should be out of date.
I reboot regularly, so its not a memory issue.

What gives??

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you mapping any network drives?

DaveC426913 said:
I open my Explorer window to look through some files, and if I leave it to go to another app, it spontaneously disappears.
Did the Acer come with Win 10 or did you upgrade from an earlier Windows version, such as Win 7, Win 8, or Win 8.1? I don't have a laptop, but I have two desktop computers, one with Win 7 and another with Win 10. I use Windows Explorer constantly, and have never run into the problem you've described. There is definitely something wrong - Win Explorer shouldn't close on its own.

Likes davenn
My guess would be there is something amiss with a drive you've mapped and it is crashing when it tries to re-sync. Next time this happens check your event log for errors.

Likes WWGD
DavidSnider said:
Are you mapping any network drives?
No. Standalone unit.

Although now I wonder about my GoFlex Home external backup drive that never worked with this computer...
Mark44 said:
Did the Acer come with Win 10 or did you upgrade from an earlier Windows version, such as Win 7, Win 8, or Win 8.1?
Came with it - fresh install.
Mark44 said:
I don't have a laptop, but I have two desktop computers, one with Win 7 and another with Win 10. I use Windows Explorer constantly, and have never run into the problem you've described.
Me too neither. Only this computer.

DavidSnider said:
My guess would be there is something amiss with a drive you've mapped and it is crashing when it tries to re-sync. Next time this happens check your event log for errors.
Now I'm starting to think about this GoFlex drive. It was my backup on my older computer, and I tried to install it here but never got it working. I thought I'd uninstalled but I'll look and see if anything's amiss.

A long shot issue might be SD cards. I transfer photos from my camera a lot. There's never any problem, and this problem doesn't seem to be related in any way - it's just the only thing I do that has anything even remotely to do with mapping drives - because Windows does that as soon as you plug an SD card in.

Thanks guys. Putting me onto drive mapping is a real big step in finding a solution.

Never used W10 but your description suggests a User Configuration Setting that gets Explorer out of the way when you are 'finished' with it.

Ahh! Google to the rescue.
https://community.spiceworks.com/canonical_answer_pages/6554-win-10-windows-close-automatically

It says the Group Policy for mapping drives is set to 'Replace' and changing that to 'Update' fixes the problem.

Another post in the same thread said a few people had Win set in 'Tablet' mode and turning that off fixed their problem.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Ahh! Google to the rescue.
https://community.spiceworks.com/canonical_answer_pages/6554-win-10-windows-close-automatically

It says the Group Policy for mapping drives is set to 'Replace' and changing that to 'Update' fixes the problem.
Alas, I have no gpedit.msc. Apparently I do not have the flavour of windows that allows editing of Group policy.

"The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions. "

DaveC426913 said:
Me too neither. Only this computer.
DaveC426913 said:
This has been going on since I first got this laptop (Acer Aspire 5) with Windoze 10.
? good contradiction 😉

davenn said:
? good contradiction 😉
I'm not sure what I said that makes you think that was a contradiction.

I've never experienced this before on any other computer except this one, which has been doing it from day one.

DaveC426913 said:
Alas, I have no gpedit.msc. Apparently I do not have the flavour of windows that allows editing of Group policy.

"The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions. "
This site at least used to have GPEDIT as part of its utilities, back in the days of Win XP. If you have a CD writer, or know someone who does, its worth a try... and its FREE!

https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Cheers,
Tom

DaveC426913 said:
I'm not sure what I said that makes you think that was a contradiction.

I've never experienced this before on any other computer except this one, which has been doing it from day one.
As I quoted
in you opening post you stated you were using a laptop

in the later post ( that I quoted a bit from) and in response to Mark44 you agreed, that like him, you
didn't have a laptop but hinted at that were using a desktop type of computer 😉

or maybe you were saying that you have a laptop as well as a desktop
and it was only the lappy that was failing ?? just sounded confusing :smile:Dave

davenn said:
in the later post ( that I quoted a bit from) and in response to Mark44 you agreed, that like him, you
didn't have a laptop but hinted at that were using a desktop type of computer 😉
I see.
No, the only part I was agreeing with Mark about was "...[other computers]... and have never run into the problem you've described."

Tom.G said:
Another post in the same thread said a few people had Win set in 'Tablet' mode and turning that off fixed their problem.
I would look into what Tom suggests, tablet mode. The behavior you describe I have never seen in a Windows desktop system. But it may be one of the features of a Windows tablet.

Had something similar between a Win'10 x64 update several months ago, and most recent.

I'd be dragging files hither & yon, when Explorer would just close down. Blup ! Nothing broken, nothing lost, relevant folders re-open okay. But, scary...

Since most recent update (*), seems okay again, albeit based on barely a week of usage...
==
*) Sat at ~80% for a lonnnng time, enough to wander off, make and drink a mug of tea. Then at ~90% for almost as long. Gotta wonder, what was it doing ??

1. What causes the "explorer" folder window to spontaneously die in Win 10?

The most common cause of this bug is a conflict with a third-party software or driver. It could also be caused by corrupted system files or outdated Windows software.

2. How can I fix the "explorer" folder window dying in Win 10?

There are several potential solutions to this issue. First, try restarting your computer and see if that resolves the problem. If not, try updating your Windows software, running a virus scan, and checking for any corrupted system files. You may also need to uninstall any recently installed third-party software or driver that could be causing the conflict.

3. Is this a common bug in Win 10?

While it is not a widespread issue, some users have reported experiencing this bug in Win 10. It is important to keep your software and drivers up-to-date to help prevent and resolve any potential bugs.

4. Can I prevent the "explorer" folder window from dying in Win 10?

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to prevent this bug from occurring. However, keeping your software and drivers updated and avoiding any potential conflicts with third-party software can help reduce the likelihood of experiencing this issue.

5. Will Microsoft release a patch to fix this bug?

Microsoft is aware of this issue and has released updates and patches in the past to address similar bugs. If you are experiencing this issue, it is important to report it to Microsoft so they can investigate and work towards finding a solution.