Connecting mini wind turbine to charge phone

In summary, the speaker has created a horizontal axis wind turbine and is looking to connect it to their phone for charging. They plan to use a 12 volt DC motor and a voltage regulator to bring the output down to 5 volts. They are seeking advice on which motor to use, with varying RPM ratings, and what the relationship is between the RPM and voltage output. They also question if the 100 RPM motor has a higher mechanical resistance compared to the 6,000 RPM motor. The response suggests that a permanent magnet DC motor has a linear relationship between shaft speed and voltage output. The speaker is advised to test the turbine's rotation speed in a normal wind and use a light braking method to estimate the power output. A link to
ajob
Hello,

I made a scale horizontal axis wind turbine that I would like to connect to my phone to charge it. I am trying to decide which motor to buy. Here is my plan and question:

Plan:
The wind turbine uses a 12 volt dc motor so that when the wind makes the motor shaft rotate there is a potential difference of 12 volts in the output. I will connect the red, positive, wire to a 7805 ic voltage regulator to bring down the voltage to 5 volts (so that my phone doesn't short) and then connect the output wires to a USB charger cable that i plug the phone into.

Question:
There are several 12 volt dc motors I could use, with RPM ratings (with no load) from 100 RPM to the many thousands of RPM. What should I use and what is the difference (electrically, obviously the mechanical difference is the RPM). My guess is it works something like this:
If you have a 12V 100RPM dc motor and you spin the shaft yourself at 50 RPM then the motor won't produce the full 12 volts (maybe around 6?), and if you spin the shaft at 100 rpm yourself then the motor will produce the full 12 volts. Whereas if you have a 12 volt 6,000 rpm dc motor then you would have to somehow manage to spin the shaft at 6,000 rpm in order for the motor to produce the full 12 volts. What is the relationship between the RPM you spin the shaft at and the voltage the motor generates--is it a linear relationship, logarithmic, etc?? Also does the 100 rpm 12V motor have a higher mechanical resistance to spinning the shaft than the 6,000 rpm 12V motor (not resistance in terms of V=IR, just resistance in terms of how hard it is to rotate the shaft at all)? Thank you for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
How fast does the turbine shaft turn? The answer suggests what the generator (motor) speed should be.

A permanent magnet DC motor acts as a generator with a linear relationship between shaft speed and voltage output.

ajob said:
Also does the 100 rpm 12V motor have a higher mechanical resistance to spinning the shaft than the 6,000 rpm 12V motor (not resistance in terms of V=IR, just resistance in terms of how hard it is to rotate the shaft at all)?
Probably yes. A motor rated 100 RPM full speed likely means it it geared, and will require more torque to turn. Read through this prior discussion about the relationship between torque and power to gain a better sense of it.

It's worth finding out how fast the turbine will rotate in a wind that you are likely to encounter when not standing in a hurricane. Then see what the effect is when you apply a light braking with your hand round the shaft. That could suggest the sort of power you are likely to get out.

1. How do mini wind turbines work?

Mini wind turbines work by harnessing the power of wind to generate electricity. The blades of the turbine spin when wind blows against them, which turns a rotor inside the turbine. This rotor is connected to a generator, which converts the rotational energy into electrical energy that can be used to charge a phone.

2. How much power can a mini wind turbine generate?

The amount of power generated by a mini wind turbine depends on various factors such as the wind speed, the size and efficiency of the turbine, and the type of generator used. On average, a mini wind turbine can generate around 5-10 watts of power, which is enough to charge a phone.

3. Can a mini wind turbine charge a phone directly?

No, a mini wind turbine cannot charge a phone directly. The electricity generated by the turbine needs to be stored in a battery before it can be used to charge a phone. This is because the voltage and current output of a mini wind turbine are not suitable for charging a phone directly.

4. What type of battery is needed to store the electricity from a mini wind turbine?

A deep cycle battery is typically used to store the electricity generated by a mini wind turbine. This type of battery is designed to be discharged and recharged multiple times, making it ideal for storing renewable energy. It is important to choose a battery with the appropriate capacity to ensure the turbine can charge a phone multiple times.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when connecting a mini wind turbine to charge a phone?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions when connecting a mini wind turbine to charge a phone. This includes ensuring the turbine is installed properly and securely, using appropriate wiring and connectors, and consulting a professional if needed. It is also important to monitor the turbine and battery to avoid overcharging or other potential hazards.