Windows XP remote desktop connection

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up remote desktop access using a single user account with no password. It is mentioned that it is not possible to log into a remote desktop with no password, and alternative options such as using a third party software or setting up a VPN are suggested. It is also noted that in order to use remote desktop outside of the network, port forwarding and a virtual domain service may be necessary.
rootX
I am trying to set up remote desktop. I have only one account with user name
"FirstName LastName" with no password.

I followed all instructions, and have "username" for accessing my computer. But, it doesn't work!

I have used 3rd party software (I forgot it's name but it's pretty popular, free, and good) in the past, but now I want to use XP one.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can't log into a RDP with no passwd, if the destination machine doesn't have a passwd RDP wil be disabled. You can do VNC (the free one) without a passwd.

I have set it up and it works pretty well. Unless your computer is directly connected to the internet, even once you set it up and it works fine, you still will be unable to log onto it remotely outside your network.

What I did is set up a VPN on my home computer. You have to set up your router to forward the ports and give your home computer a static IP (alternatively, some better routers or cheaper routers with third party firmware can do the same thing). I also used a virtual domain service to allow my router to have a constant URL.

Then I just connect via the VPN from anywhere, and log onto my home computer with Remote Desktop Connection.

1. What is a Windows XP remote desktop connection?

A Windows XP remote desktop connection is a feature that allows you to access and control a computer from a remote location. This means you can use your own computer to view and interact with the desktop of another computer, as if you were sitting in front of it.

2. How do I set up a Windows XP remote desktop connection?

To set up a remote desktop connection in Windows XP, you will need to go to the Control Panel and click on the "System" icon. From there, go to the "Remote" tab and check the box next to "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer." You will also need to make sure the user account you want to connect with has a password set.

3. Can I use a Windows XP remote desktop connection to access my computer from anywhere?

Yes, you can use a Windows XP remote desktop connection to access your computer from anywhere with an internet connection. However, you will need to make sure that your computer is turned on and connected to the internet before you can connect remotely.

4. Is a Windows XP remote desktop connection secure?

A Windows XP remote desktop connection can be secure as long as you take the necessary precautions, such as using a strong password and keeping your computer's security software up to date. You can also use a virtual private network (VPN) for added security when connecting to your computer remotely.

5. Can I transfer files using a Windows XP remote desktop connection?

Yes, you can transfer files between your local computer and the remote computer using a Windows XP remote desktop connection. You can either copy and paste the files or use the remote desktop connection's file transfer feature. However, make sure to only transfer files from trusted sources to avoid any potential security risks.