Wireless, microwaves and cancer: is there a link?

In summary: I'm getting a headache and my eyes hurt a lot, especially in the morning.I read many documents and given the fact that in the United States, where non-industry-funded studies are rare, where legislation protecting the wireless industry from legal challenges has long been in place, it's hard to be optimistic.However, many other studies have failed to find evidence for a link to cancer or any related condition.Considering that the vast majority of scientific evidence indicates that there is no link between RF exposure and cancer, it is important to be cautious before making any drastic decisions.In summary, the author is worried about the potential health effects of using wireless technology, and suggests that we should
Googled
Hello from Australia,

I'm extremely worried. I rarely use mobile but unfortunately I had no choice but use a prepaid wireless usb modem which uses the same technology of the mobiles here and I have been using it about 10 hours a day for the last 9 months so if WI-FI gives cancer, then I'm hopeless.

I read many documents and given the fact that in the United States, where non-industry-funded studies are rare, where legislation protecting the wireless industry from legal challenges has long been in place, it's hard to be optimistic.

[Mentor's note: deleted links to non-reputable sources.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Please read our guidelines regarding Overly Speculative Posts:
One of the main goals of PF is to help students learn the current status of physics as practiced by the scientific community; accordingly, Physicsforums.com strives to maintain high standards of academic integrity. There are many open questions in physics, and we welcome discussion on those subjects provided the discussion remains intellectually sound. It is against our Posting Guidelines to discuss, in most of the PF forums or in blogs, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional mainstream scientific discussion.
You may want to check the following website: http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/rf-faqs.html
CAN RADIOFREQUENCY RADIATION CAUSE CANCER?

Some studies have also examined the possibility of a link between RF exposure and cancer. Results to date have been inconclusive. While some experimental data have suggested a possible link between exposure and tumor formation in animals exposed under certain specific conditions, the results have not been independently replicated. Many other studies have failed to find evidence for a link to cancer or any related condition.

Googled said:
I'm extremely worried. I rarely use mobile but unfortunately I had no choice but use a prepaid wireless usb modem which uses the same technology of the mobiles here and I have been using it about 10 hours a day for the last 9 months so if WI-FI gives cancer, then I'm hopeless.

Honestly Ozzie! This is a joke isn't it? Pleeease?

You know about logically proving negatives? That is one impossibility that quacks and creationists rely on more than anything else but flat illogic.

OK, let's assume that we really can somehow magically get cancer from cm-radiation or greater wavelengths, right? Somewhere waaay down the stacked disproofs of maybe-maybes there is some scrap of truth that is but mad north-north-west: when the wind is southerly it can make a hawk from a handsaw. OK?

What might that mean? Clear research has shown that you do not get measurably abnormal levels of cancer or autism or Alzheimer's or Parkinsonism from any level of radiofrequency or MW radiation insufficient to parboil you. But possibly if things are just right then some luckless blighter somewhere might have got a dose somewhere somehow, below the ability of epidemiological statistics to demonstrate it.

But what they HAVE demonstrated is that practically all cancers, Alzheimers's etc are caused by, or at least correlated with OTHER stuff, right?

So why not worry about the other stuff instead? You stand a better chance of getting cancer by sticking your nose into the Australian sunshine for ten minutes a day than by using a cellphone, satellite phone, or microwave oven day in day out! (Melanoma and all that!)

You stand a better chance of getting cancer by NOT sticking your nose into the Australian sunshine for ten minutes a day! (Reasonable (NOT excessive) doses of Vitamin D seem to be protective!)

You stand a better chance of cancer from having your belly bitten open by a Great White or a Salty(if you last long enough)! Or chundering too late after downing a Fossies!

Why pick on RF or sub-RF radiation when you couldn't even prove what caused the cancer if it somehow miraculously might have given you a dose, but plenty of other things might more easily have done so?

Why not worry rather about the evidence that worrying about cancer can cause cancer? That the cancer rate among googlers and doodlers is twice the rate among people that cellphone and soulphone?

It is more fun than worrying about sex causing cancer.
Here is a red-hot tip: tune into www.quackwatch.com
It will tell you more than you wanted to know about cancer and radiation of all forms, and tell it simply and clearly, and the quacks hate, hate , HATE it! (If you don't believe me, check out their "cheers & jeers" column!)

Last edited:
Jon Richfield said:
Honestly Ozzie! This is a joke isn't it? Pleeease?

Guys: I really need your attention but please spare ironic reply as I'm still worried and lately both my eyes and head hurt...especially my eyes.

I came to this forum hoping to find EXPERTS in things I am NOT.

Meanwhile, now it's from 2 years that I'm using a wireless dongle (10 hours everyday from more than 2 years at 50 cm from the dongle) and am very concerned lately about its possible effects.

Last edited:
I know that mobile and wireless devices do not release gamma rays but microwaves.

My concern is about power density and EMR, not gamma rays.

I have been unable to find what kind of SAR my USB wireless modem releases.

I don't have an EMR meter, nor I want to buy one to do so.

I found this video:

Useful also this page, which I hope won't be removed as previous links (this is a reputable source from Department of Primary Industries, Victoria, Australia) especially this part:

Table 30 – Common Household Emitters: RF EMF Power Density Measurements

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/smart-met...consultations/ami-meter-em-field-survey-repor

They list wireless modem but, unlike the other objects, it's not in the pictures so assuming it was not a 3G USB wireless modem, then in my case I need to look at the output values for the mobile, which is similar to be next to the microwave oven. :(

So using it is like standing next to a microwave oven...but while you may stand near an oven just few seconds, I'm using it for hours every day! :(

What do you think about it?

Thanks

There is a lack of education on the subject and cover up by media, just like any big business where the money going around is too much.

You don't need to stick it to your head to get long term side effects.

Data from a 2002 study, where they measured the EMR emitted by cordless phone (same frequency of wireless and microwaves ovens) :

NONSTOP PULSED 2.4 GHZ RADIATION INSIDE US HOMES

The pdf can be found here:

http://www.tetrawatch.net/papers/non-stop_dect.pdf

In the report, you can see how little is the value of EMR of the environment compared to what a cordless phone (or wireless or mobile phone for that matter) releases, at different distance and even at 3 metres, the amount is still well above anything mankind was previously exposed. The industry has been lobbied to decrease safety limits, as we know, all they care about is money, not your health. (if anyone doubts that, please watch movies such as Gasland or Food Inc., trailers are available on YouTube).

Natural cosmic microwave radiation (MAES 2000) < 0.000001 μW/m2

Cellular tower radiation – background level, 20. percentile (HAUMANN 2002) 15 μW/m2

2.4 GHz cordless phone base station power density levels in the house:

Office with phone 33,800 μW/m2
Master bedroom 13,500 μW/m2
Living room 140 μW/m2
Outside 9 μW/m2

All the big studies, including 'InterPhone' were not independent, but funded by the people behind the mobile companies, how can we rely on those studies?

Don't they say better safe then sorry?

Neurosurgeons are alarmed too here:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/smartphones/is-your-mobile-phone-really-killing-your-brain/story-fn6vihic-1226348144071

Last edited:
or about this one:

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...#v=onepage&q=microwave bowel sidelobe&f=false

An engineer replaced a woodpecker-damaged feed horn of a high-power microwave antenna, a 15-meter dish at an Earth station of a television network, using a cherry picker. After finishing, he sent his technician to power up the transmitter, and attempted to lower the cherry picker down. The engine failed and the engineer was stuck next to the antenna, outside of its main lobe but well within the first sidelobe. The technician, unaware that the engineer was still close to the antenna, powered it up. The engineer was exposed to an intense microwave field for about three minutes, until the error was realized. There were no immediate symptoms; the next morning the engineer detected blood and solid matter in his urine, and visited a doctor, who found blood in stool and massive bowel adhesions. The engineer's medical problems lasted for many years.

1. Can exposure to wireless and microwave radiation cause cancer?

There is currently no conclusive evidence that exposure to wireless and microwave radiation from devices such as cell phones and Wi-Fi can cause cancer. While some studies have shown a potential link, the overall scientific consensus is that the levels of radiation emitted from these devices are too low to cause harm.

2. How do wireless and microwave radiation affect the body?

Exposure to wireless and microwave radiation can cause a slight increase in body temperature, but this is not enough to cause any long-term damage. Additionally, the World Health Organization has reported that there is no evidence to suggest that these types of radiation can damage DNA or cause any other harmful effects.

3. Are children more susceptible to the potential health effects of wireless and microwave radiation?

Children are not necessarily more susceptible to the potential health effects of wireless and microwave radiation. However, because their bodies are still developing, it is recommended to limit their exposure to these types of radiation as a precautionary measure.

4. What measures can I take to reduce my exposure to wireless and microwave radiation?

To reduce your exposure to wireless and microwave radiation, you can limit your use of devices such as cell phones and Wi-Fi, and keep them at a distance from your body. You can also use hands-free devices or speakerphone when using your cell phone, and turn off your Wi-Fi when not in use.

5. Is it safe to use wireless and microwave devices during pregnancy?

There is no evidence to suggest that using wireless and microwave devices during pregnancy can cause harm to the mother or the developing fetus. However, as a precaution, it is recommended to limit exposure to these types of radiation during pregnancy and to keep devices away from the belly area.