Question about 120,000 BTU Furnace Wiring.

In summary, the wiring diagram on page 48 of the manual says to wire the 16 gauge wire to the fused switch, is this right?
SeeJay
I am wiring a new 120,000 BTU furnace. The old furnace I wired with 14 gauge wire going from fused switch to the inside of the furnace wired to the furnace panel.
This new furnace has 16 gauge wire going from the inside furnace panel to an electric box on the side on the inside of the furnace (opposite side of fused switch).. My question is, I have 14 ga going to a 10 amp fused switch wired on the outside of furnace. The way it looks I am suppose to wire the 16 ga wire to the fused switch, is this right? I never have used 16 ga and 14 ga together. It just doesn't seem right.. I am sure this is a stupid question but before hooking it up I just wan't to check to see if this is correct. I attached a copy of a link to the the manual. The wiring diagram for the furnace is on page 48.
https://www.alpinehomeair.com/_viewresource.cfm?ID=5082
Thank you in advance for your time.
Seejay.

Engineering news on Phys.org
SeeJay said:
I am wiring a new 120,000 BTU furnace. The old furnace I wired with 14 gauge wire going from fused switch to the inside of the furnace wired to the furnace panel.
This new furnace has 16 gauge wire going from the inside furnace panel to an electric box on the side on the inside of the furnace (opposite side of fused switch).. My question is, I have 14 ga going to a 10 amp fused switch wired on the outside of furnace. The way it looks I am suppose to wire the 16 ga wire to the fused switch, is this right? I never have used 16 ga and 14 ga together. It just doesn't seem right.. I am sure this is a stupid question but before hooking it up I just wan't to check to see if this is correct. I attached a copy of a link to the the manual. The wiring diagram for the furnace is on page 48.
https://www.alpinehomeair.com/_viewresource.cfm?ID=5082
Thank you in advance for your time.
Seejay.
Thread closed temporarily.

Please send me a copy of the Building Permit that you have for this project via PM, along with your qualifications (electrician license info, etc.). Then we can re-open the thread.

Likes Bystander

1. What is the purpose of a 120,000 BTU furnace?

A 120,000 BTU furnace is used to heat buildings or homes. BTU stands for British Thermal Unit, which is a unit of measurement for energy. This type of furnace is typically used for larger spaces and can produce a significant amount of heat.

2. How does a 120,000 BTU furnace work?

A 120,000 BTU furnace works by using fuel, such as natural gas, to heat up a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger then transfers the heat to the surrounding air, which is then distributed throughout the building via a duct system. The furnace also has a blower that helps to circulate the heated air.

3. What is the importance of proper wiring for a 120,000 BTU furnace?

Proper wiring is crucial for a 120,000 BTU furnace as it ensures the safe and efficient operation of the furnace. The wiring connects the furnace to the power source and controls, allowing for proper functioning and regulation of the furnace. Incorrect wiring can lead to malfunctions, damage to the furnace, and potential safety hazards.

4. Can I install a 120,000 BTU furnace myself?

It is not recommended to install a 120,000 BTU furnace yourself unless you have the proper training and experience. Installing a furnace requires knowledge of electrical and HVAC systems, as well as following safety protocols. It is best to hire a licensed professional to ensure proper installation and to avoid potential hazards.

5. How often should the wiring for a 120,000 BTU furnace be inspected?

The wiring for a 120,000 BTU furnace should be inspected at least once a year by a licensed HVAC technician. This will ensure that the wiring is in good condition and functioning properly. If any issues are found, they should be addressed immediately to avoid potential safety hazards. Regular maintenance and inspections can also extend the lifespan of the furnace.