Witnessing Geminids: Slower Meteor Shower Speed

• Thread starter Jonathan Scott
  • Start date
In summary: The sky was partly cloudy, so not as good of a viewing site as if it were clear. He only saw 7 meteors, but noticed that they moved slower than Perseids. Checking Wikipedia, he found out that the speed of Geminids is slower than Perseids. This is interesting information that he hadn't known before. Dave is now excited to go outside and take pictures of meteors.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
Yesterday we had clear skies in the UK (but freezing temperatures) so I wrapped up warm and I went out into my back garden for a few minutes at about 9.45pm to look for Geminids, as I hadn't seen those before (I've mostly only seen Perseids before, plus odd sporadic meteors). The sky was quite hazy and I only saw about 7 before I decided to come in, but what I immediately noticed was that they appeared to move noticeably more slowly across the sky than Perseids, although not as slowly as half speed. Checking in Wikipedia afterwards I see that the speed of Geminids at around 35km/s is indeed slower than Perseids at around 58km/s. So now I've learned that there's a visible difference in the speed of meteors from different meteor showers.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Time to grab a camera and snap some shots!

From my back garden, in a built-up area with hazy brown skies and a limited view, close to an airport, my chances of taking a picture of a meteor aren't much better than my chances of photographing a flying reindeer!

Likes davenn
Jonathan Scott said:
Yesterday we had clear skies in the UK (but freezing temperatures) so I wrapped up warm and I went out into my back garden for a few minutes at about 9.45pm to look for Geminids, as I hadn't seen those before (I've mostly only seen Perseids before, plus odd sporadic meteors). The sky was quite hazy and I only saw about 7 before I decided to come in,

awesome ... well done :)

Jonathan Scott said:
From my back garden, in a built-up area with hazy brown skies and a limited view, close to an airport, my chances of taking a picture of a meteor aren't much better than my chances of photographing a flying reindeer!

Yeah I know that feeling ... living within Sydney city suburbs, the light pollution is dreadful, I only get to see the brightest starts or meteors
I have to drive at least 30 - 45 minutes to get to a site that is dark enough to play with the telescope
Dave

1. What is the Geminids meteor shower?

The Geminids meteor shower is an annual event that occurs in mid-December when the Earth passes through the debris left behind by the asteroid 3200 Phaethon. This debris then enters the Earth's atmosphere, creating bright streaks of light known as meteors.

2. Why is the Geminids meteor shower slower compared to other meteor showers?

The Geminids meteor shower is slower because the debris from asteroid 3200 Phaethon is denser and more compact compared to other meteor showers, which are typically caused by comets. This denser debris causes the meteors to travel at a slower speed, making them easier to observe and appreciate.

3. When is the best time to witness the Geminids meteor shower?

The Geminids meteor shower typically peaks around December 13-14 each year, but can be visible from December 4-17. The best time to witness the shower is during the late evening and early morning hours, when the radiant point (the point in the sky where the meteors appear to originate from) is highest in the sky.

4. Where is the best location to view the Geminids meteor shower?

The Geminids meteor shower can be seen from anywhere in the world, but the best location is away from city lights and in an area with a clear, unobstructed view of the sky. This allows for maximum visibility of the meteors and their trails.

5. How can I make the most of my Geminids meteor shower viewing experience?

To make the most of your Geminids meteor shower viewing experience, try to find a dark location with minimal light pollution and give yourself at least 20-30 minutes for your eyes to adjust to the darkness. Bring a comfortable chair or blanket to sit on and be patient, as it may take some time before you see any meteors. Also, be sure to dress warmly and have a hot beverage on hand to stay comfortable while viewing the shower.