Wood color stardards by species?

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color Wood
In summary, the website provides well-colored pictures of wood that show the changes that can occur with direct sunlight or incidental light exposure.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrp/fplrp57.pdf

Wood undergoes changes when exposed to direct sunlight (above reference) or
incidental light. One of the changes is a change in color. Others include decreased
film finish adhesion, and some other probably not so good changes.

Walnut becomes pale and washed out, white pine becomes orange-ish
(pumpkin wood), cherry is notorious for getting a "sunburn".

As sort of a rule of thumb, lighter woods darken and darker woods lighten over time.

This site has really well done wood pictures:

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

One caveat. Displaying my ignorance: I was one of those folks who identified seeds and
wood samples at a USDA lab about 50 years ago. Color of wood was not
ever considered a primary property of wood because of the above. Wood
changes color with age.

The person who put together the site did not mention any standard color reference
about wood, but the pictures have the "correct color". I'd love to learn about
that. And how to know what a correct color is by species.

Question: does anyone know if there is an defacto industry standard for the
color of lumber by species? Could you please provide any links you
might have?

I personally don't think there is one. :(

Biology news on Phys.org
http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

That's my site and yes, I left out a LOT of things (such as generalizations about wood color) to focus pretty much entirely on correctly colored pics of wood.

Generalizations about wood color are very tough. There ARE some (such as your statement about cherry) that are reasonable, and I have some such in with the specific woods. For example, the cherry fact sheet includes the statement
Cherry's color ages extremely well, deepening and taking on a rich patina with age, particularly with exposure to sunlight.

If you spend much time on the site you will not likely have any trouble believing that I have spend many THOUSANDS of hours on it and my list of things left to do it so long that I'm quite confident I will never finish it.

If you have any specific questions, let me know

Paul

Well, you did a very good job. Wood identification: We used to relegate color of wood samples way behind things like resin canals, heartwood/sapwood transitions, microscopic end grain analysis, density and the other stuff like lithocysts. Those can be hell on tool steel. Lots of tropical woods are beautiful, but eat tools for lunch for a variety of reasons.

So, tropical wood imports were rising fasst in 1964, when I stopped playing woodologist. They were becoming commerically important. Now a lot them are becoming commerically unavailable, banak comes to mind

Years ago, I used to teach short classes on this stuff to FFA'ers. A lot of it has melted away.

Phooey.
I thought I was missing something. That cannot happen! Still am a wood freak the past 50 years or or so. Reason I got into Botany to start with.

1. What is the purpose of wood color standards by species?

The purpose of wood color standards by species is to provide a reference for identifying and categorizing the color of different types of wood. This helps in selecting the appropriate wood for specific projects and ensures consistency in the appearance of the final product.

2. How are wood color standards determined?

Wood color standards are determined through visual inspection and comparison to a set of established color standards. These standards are typically created by expert woodworkers or organizations and are based on the natural color variations of different wood species.

3. Are wood color standards universal for all wood species?

No, wood color standards may vary for different wood species. This is because each type of wood has its own unique color variations and characteristics. However, there may be some overlap in color standards for similar wood species.

4. Can the color of wood change over time?

Yes, the color of wood can change over time due to exposure to light and other environmental factors. This is known as wood patina and is a natural process that can enhance the appearance of some types of wood.

5. How important is it to follow wood color standards in woodworking projects?

Following wood color standards is important for achieving the desired aesthetic and functional qualities in woodworking projects. It also helps in maintaining consistency and quality in the final product. However, some woodworkers may choose to deviate from color standards for creative purposes.