Word drawing canvas doesn't respect bottom/top borders

In summary: Yes, I also would like the figure to automatically go to the next page if the text pushes it too down, or to adjust the text wrapping it the text is trying to push it too far up. Alas, I don't have VBA and do not know how to work with it if I had it, but as I say, nudging the pictures is not the problem. I can do that, but imagine if you had to manually adjust the text to make sure it stayed within margins. (Ah, remember typewriters?)In summary, when one types text in Word 2010, then obviously the text does not go below the bottom margin or above the top one. However, the Drawing
nomadreid
Gold Member
When one types text in Word (Word 2010 on Microsoft), then obviously the text does not go below the bottom margin or above the top one. However, the Drawing Canvas (from Insert>Shapes>New Drawing Canvas) does not seem to respect these margins, not only going below or above the margins as one changes the amount of text above or below it, but even going off the page altogether. I don't see anything in "Format Drawing Canvas" that allows me to make it respect the margins. I have no further clue as to how to format this. Any indications would be appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Check out 'Wrap text' (right click on the canvas). Sometimes picking a different one on that list helps
I can't reproduce what you describe (2010 prof plus)

Thanks, BvU, I know wrap text, and am using "square". Those choices do not seem to help. Perhaps something in "advanced"? I haven't experimented with all of them.
Advanced Layout.PNG

The yellow box is a canvas. The only way I can get it outside the margins is by resizing it.

upload_2017-3-9_21-29-42.png

Attachments

• Blabla.docx
    43.1 KB · Views: 357
Thanks, BvU. I will give you two examples, but first I will note that I don't have 2010 prof plus, just the ordinary Word 2010. So, first, one that breaks the margins above, another which breaks the margins below (the two examples got squished together; they are not really on the same page):
over the margin.PNG
under the margin.PNG

Your picture doesn't help much -- it's a picture. Don't see margins, don't see how you break off the text to leave room for the pictures, etc.etc.
But I suppose you want the Figure 1.2 to move down and 1.4 to move up. Preferably automatically when you add more text to the caption ?
Can you work with VBA ? Like, go through the pages and use VB code to nudge the pictures inside the margins ?

Word 2010 versions are same in that respect. I had a vague recollection of the opposite problem you have: struggling with positioning pictures a long time ago and found that it had to do with them being considered InLineShapes when imported. Changing alignment to top and bottom was enough to convert them to Shapes that can be positioned. I can imagine that Shapes grow with content and exceed margins.

Likes nomadreid
Ah, sorry, I thought it was obvious that the upper margin was on the same level of Equation (1.31), Figure 1.2 is configured as "square" in the list of Wrap Text, and goes annoyingly up to the top of the page; similarly, the lower margin is on the same level as the last line ("...tangents of the resulting curves are"), and Figure 1.4, also with "square"-wrapped text, goes annoyingly down to the bottom of the page. The shapes can be positioned, with a bit of fiddling with positioning of the text, to be between the margins... until the next change in the text, which could then end up with the Figures (which are canvases containing one picture and one text box each). So one way to solve it is wait until the text is finalized and fiddle with the text at the end to position the canvases correctly, but I have quite a few canvases and would like them to adjust themselves without this hassle, just as the text adjusts itself to stay within the margins. In other words, I would like the figure to automatically go to the next page if the text pushes it too down, or to adjust the text wrapping it the text is trying to push it too far up. Alas, I don't have VBA and do not know how to work with it if I had it, but as I say, nudging the pictures is not the problem. I can do that, but imagine if you had to manually adjust the text to make sure it stayed within margins. (Ah, remember typewriters?)

nomadreid said:
Ah, sorry, I thought it was obvious that the upper margin was on the same level of Equation (1.31), Figure 1.2 is configured as "square" in the list of Wrap Text, and goes annoyingly up to the top of the page; similarly, the lower margin is on the same level as the last line ("...tangents of the resulting curves are"),
Yes it's obvious, but I can't dig into see how the Word objects are arranged.
until the next change in the text, which could then end up with the Figures (which are canvases containing one picture and one text box each). So one way to solve it is wait until the text is finalized and fiddle with the text at the end to position the canvases correctly, but I have quite a few canvases and would like them to adjust themselves without this hassle, just as the text adjusts itself to stay within the margins.
What I conjectured in my previous post is a little different. So the main text is what varies.
In other words, I would like the figure to automatically go to the next page if the text pushes it too down, or to adjust the text wrapping it the text is trying to push it too far up.
That's a tall order: programs are good at doing what you tell them, they are not good at reading your mind.

Perhaps it helps if you know a bit more about the workings of Word. In paragraph, on the Home tab, top right, " ¶ ", you can make some extra formatting symbols visible. An inline Shape has an anchor to keep it near the related text that becomes visible when the shape is selected. Anchor text moves ##\Rightarrow## shape moves.Parameters are in Right mouse button | More Layout options.

At least now I can reproduce your problem (see file)

Perhaps there is a way to improve your situation. But: Your problem arises when the anchor text comes closer to the top or the bottom of the page and I think it is hard to detect this without VBA coding. Let alone fix it (If you do it by hand you make seemingly trivial choices)

Alas, I don't have VBA and do not know how to work with it if I had it.
Good investment for a book or a thesis! Less for a short paper.

Attachments

• Blabla2.docx
    371.1 KB · Views: 293
Likes nomadreid
Thanks for the advice, BvU. I shall experiment around with Word with your indications, although I suspect that, in the end, I shall end up adjusting each one by hand (making, as you phrased it, trivial choices).

BvU said:
programs are good at doing what you tell them, they are not good at reading your mind.
Actually, they are pretty good at doing this when it comes to text. I give it a few hints as to my desires, such as "I want the text to stay within such and such borders", and magically, the text stays within those borders. I had hoped that its standard Word-for-non-programmers mind-reading abilities would have graduated from an OWL (being able to manage text) to a NEWT (doing the same for canvases), but I guess not. Microsoft is not Hogwarts.

1. Why is my word drawing canvas not respecting the bottom and top borders?

The most likely reason for this issue is that the word drawing canvas is not properly aligned with the borders. Check the positioning and margins of the canvas to ensure it is aligned correctly.

2. How can I fix the issue of my word drawing canvas not respecting the bottom and top borders?

One solution is to use CSS to explicitly define the exact position and size of the canvas. You can also try using a different canvas element or library to see if the issue persists.

3. Is this a common problem with word drawing canvases?

No, this is not a common problem with all word drawing canvases. It could be a specific issue with your code or the particular canvas element you are using.

4. Can changing the border properties in CSS solve this issue?

Changing the border properties may help, but it is not a guaranteed solution. The root cause of the issue may lie in the positioning or size of the canvas, so it is best to troubleshoot those aspects first.

5. I have tried all the suggested solutions, but my word drawing canvas still doesn't respect the bottom and top borders. What else can I do?

If none of the suggested solutions work, it could be an issue with the compatibility of the canvas element with your browser or device. Try testing the canvas on different browsers and devices to see if the issue persists.