Work done by an electric motor to drive elevator

In summary: The work done can be different in different reference frames, even if inertial. You must use the ground frame.
weilam06
Homework Statement
An elevator consists of an elevator cage and a counterweight attached to the ends of a cable that runs over a pulley. The mass of the cage (with its load) is ##1200## kg, and the mass of the counterweight is ##1000## kg. The elevator is driven by an electric motor attached to the pulley. Suppose that the elevator is initially at rest on the first floor of the building and the motor makes the elevator accelerate upward at the rate of ##1.5 \text{m/s}^2##.
Relevant Equations
##\sum F=ma##
##x=x_0+v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2##
##W=F_x\Delta x##
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/250022
For the part (a), set the tension of the string that pulls the elevator be ##T_1## and the tension that pushes the counterweight be ##T_2##. Then we have the following equations:

$$T_1−1200g=1200 \cdot 1.5$$
$$1000g−T_2=1000 \cdot (−1.5)$$

where ##g=9.8 ms^{−2}## stands for gravitational acceleration and define the upwards direction be positive #y# value. This gives ##T_1=13650 N## and ##T_2=8300 N##. For part (b), since the elevator is driven with net acceleration ##a=1.5 ms^{−2}##, so the total distance traveled is
$$d=12 \cdot (1.5+g) \cdot 12=5.65 \text{m}$$
whereas the counterweight traveled ##-5.65## m, with similar approach above. So the work done by the electric motor is
$$W=13650 \times 5.65+8300 \times (−5.65)=302275J$$

which is different from the given answer ##4300 \text{J}##. What am I doing wrong here??

Physics news on Phys.org
weilam06 said:
so the total distance traveled is
You seem to be using some data not present in your problem statement. If you are given the time of 12 seconds then I don't understand why have a g in there, and there's a factor 1/2 missing.

I tried the link, but it is broken.

Sorry about that. The question asked for
(a) What is the tension in the part of the cable attached to the elevator cage? What is the tension in the part of the cable attached to the counterweight?
(b) The acceleration lasts exactly 1.0 s. How much work has the electric motor done in this interval? Ignore friction forces and ignore the mass of the pulley.
(c) After the acceleration interval of 1.0 s, the motor pulls the elevator upward at constant speed until it reaches the third
floor, exactly 10.0 m above the first floor. What is the total amount of work that the motor has done up to this point?

For b) I believe you should use the work energy theorem
$$\Delta K=W_{T_1}+W_{counterweight}-W_{chamberweight}-W_{T_2}+W_{motor}$$

where ##\Delta K=\frac{1}{2}(m_{chamber}+m_{counterweight})v^2-0## since the system starts from initial velocity=0.

But first you should calculate correctly the distance traveled. You say it is ##d=12(1.5+g)12##. Please explain how you arrive at this equation because I don't seem to understand. Isn't the distance traveled simply ##d=\frac{1}{2}at^2## where ##a=1.5m/s^2## and ##t=1.0s##?

Delta2 said:
For b) I believe you should use the work energy theorem
$$\Delta K=W_{T_1}+W_{counterweight}-W_{chamberweight}-W_{T_2}+W_{motor}$$
Why are you adding Wmotor? Isn't that already accounted for by the tensions?

weilam06 said:
1000g−T2=1000⋅(−1.5)​
Think about that. Is T2 more or less than 1000g kg?
weilam06 said:
the given answer 4300J
For part b I get a bit under 4000J.

Last edited:
Likes neilparker62
Delta2 said:
But first you should calculate correctly the distance traveled. You say it is ##d=\frac{1}{2}(1.5+g)1^2##. Please explain how you arrive at this equation because I don't seem to understand. Isn't the distance traveled simply ##d=\frac{1}{2}at^2## where ##a=1.5m/s^2## and ##t=1.0s##?
Because this is due to my frame of reference, and taking account into the gravitational acceleration on Earth. I believed the distance traveled that I calculated has no wrong.

weilam06 said:
Because this is due to my frame of reference, and taking account into the gravitational acceleration on Earth. I believed the distance traveled that I calculated has no wrong.
Ok, first of all you have typos there, you mean ##d=\frac{1}{2}(1.5+g)1^2##. Second, in what frame of reference you need to add g? You take a frame of reference where we free fall? Why to do that??
In the frame of reference of ground, the chamber moves upwards with acceleration 1.5m/s^2 and initial velocity v=0, hence the distance traveled is ##d=\frac{1}{2}at^2=0.75m## there can't be more simple than that.
haruspex said:
Why are you adding Wmotor? Isn't that already accounted for by the tensions?
Ok i think i see the work of the motor is ##W_{motor}=W_{T_1}-W_{T_2}##

Last edited:
weilam06 said:
Because this is due to my frame of reference,
Work done can be different in different reference frames, even if inertial. You must use the ground frame.
Consider an object mass m accelerated from v1 to v2 in one frame. Compare the work done in that frame with that in the inertial frame in which it was initially at rest.

haruspex said:
For part b I get a bit under 4000J.
Same here.

1. How does an electric motor work to drive an elevator?

An electric motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. In the case of an elevator, the motor receives electricity from a power source and uses it to rotate a shaft, which in turn moves the elevator's pulley system and lifts or lowers the elevator car.

2. What factors affect the amount of work done by an electric motor to drive an elevator?

The amount of work done by an electric motor to drive an elevator depends on several factors, including the weight of the elevator car and its contents, the height the elevator needs to travel, the speed at which it needs to move, and the efficiency of the motor and its components.

3. How is the work done by an electric motor to drive an elevator calculated?

The work done by an electric motor to drive an elevator is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the motor (in Newtons) by the distance the elevator moves (in meters). This is known as the formula for work: W = F x d. The unit of measurement for work is joules (J).

4. Can the work done by an electric motor to drive an elevator be increased or decreased?

Yes, the work done by an electric motor to drive an elevator can be increased or decreased. This can be achieved by changing the amount of force applied by the motor, the distance the elevator needs to travel, or the speed at which it moves. Adjusting these factors can also affect the amount of electricity used by the motor.

5. How does the work done by an electric motor affect the energy consumption of an elevator?

The work done by an electric motor to drive an elevator directly affects the energy consumption of the elevator. The more work the motor has to do, the more energy it will use. This is why it is important for elevator systems to be designed and maintained to be as efficient as possible, in order to minimize energy consumption and reduce costs.