Work done by electric field to move capacitor plate

In summary, when the capacitance changes, the voltage also changes according to the relationship c=q/v. However, the ambiguity of the problem statement regarding the capacitor's isolation may affect the relevance of this equation and a different approach, such as considering the stored energy in terms of constant charge on the plates, may be more appropriate.
polls_king23
Homework Statement
two capacitor plates separated by a distance d are moved closer to each other by a distance ε<<d due to their mutual attraction. Find the work done by the electric field in the process and also the energy lost by the field
Relevant Equations
energy U=1/2(AV^2ε0)(1/d)
where A is the area of each plate and V is the voltage
20210312_210108.jpg

so the result I got is the energy lost by the field right??

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

When the capacitance changes, what happens to the Voltage?

Also, it's good to learn to post using LaTeX to help make your math equations easier to read. You can click the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to see how it's done. The basics are pretty easy to learn. :smile:

$$W_i = \frac{\epsilon_0 A {V_i}^2}{2d}$$

(You can click the Reply link in my post above to see the LaTeX that I used. For stand-along lines use $$ before and after the LaTeX. For in-line math, use ## before and after.) :smile:

berkeman said:
Also, it's good to learn to post using LaTeX to help make your math equations easier to read. You can click the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to see how it's done. The basics are pretty easy to learn. :smile:
yes I will, I just joined today. I will get to it as soon as possible
berkeman said:
When the capacitance changes, what happens to the Voltage?
voltage will also change, by the relation c=q/v

Likes BvU and berkeman
The problem doesn't directly state whether or not the capacitor is isolated or connected to a constant source voltage (to maintain a constant potential difference as the plates are moved). The relevant equation intimates that the voltage is held constant, but as it is a relevant equation and not part of the problem statement itself, I think this makes the question a bit ambiguous.

If the capacitor is taken to be isolated, perhaps looking at its stored energy in terms of constant charge on the plates would be more appropriate?

1. What is work done by electric field to move capacitor plate?

The work done by electric field to move capacitor plate is the amount of energy needed to move a capacitor plate from one position to another against the force of the electric field.

2. How is work done by electric field to move capacitor plate calculated?

The work done by electric field to move capacitor plate can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the distance the capacitor plate is moved. This is represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force of the electric field, and d is the distance moved.

3. What factors affect the work done by electric field to move capacitor plate?

The work done by electric field to move capacitor plate is affected by the magnitude of the electric field, the distance the capacitor plate is moved, and the charge on the capacitor plates. The work done will also vary depending on the direction in which the capacitor plate is moved.

4. Is work done by electric field to move capacitor plate always positive?

No, the work done by electric field to move capacitor plate can be either positive or negative. If the capacitor plate is moved in the same direction as the electric field, the work done will be positive. However, if the capacitor plate is moved in the opposite direction of the electric field, the work done will be negative.

5. How is work done by electric field to move capacitor plate related to the energy stored in a capacitor?

The work done by electric field to move capacitor plate is equal to the change in energy stored in the capacitor. This means that the work done is directly proportional to the change in energy stored. As the capacitor plate is moved, the energy stored in the capacitor will either increase or decrease depending on the direction of movement.