Solving Incline Problem with Normal Force: 39.36

In summary: So I should have used -gravitational force/mass*cosine of the angle instead of just -gravitational force.
momoneedsphysicshelp
Homework Statement
A 4.9 kg mass slides 3.6 m up a frictionless 35 degree incline. How much work is done by gravity?

I keep getting this question incorrect and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Relevant Equations
W= F*d*cos(theta)
first I tried to use gravitational force to solve it but because of the incline the gravitational force is zero. so I used normal force to solve.
Normal force is 39.36,
then f*d*cos(theta)
39.36*3.6*cos(55)
it would be cos 55 because the angle is in the direction of normal force from the position of the object
it would equal= 39.36*3.6*cos(55)= 81.27
but it is incorrect.

can anyone please tell me where I made a mistake or if there is another way I should be solving this problem?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would the gravity be zero on the incline? Gravity is always present. Being on an incline doesn’t change that.

Are you allowed to do it by potential energy difference?

neilparker62 said:
The angle you need to use is that between the gravitational force and the direction of motion.
I tried that but it was still incorrect

momoneedsphysicshelp said:
Did you take the sign into account? Remember that gravity is working against the direction of motion here.

I deleted because I saw you did that. But maybe it's just the sign which is wrong since work is done against gravity rather than by gravity.

So what angle did you use? And what answer did you get?

Likes suremarc
suremarc said:
Did you take the sign into account? Remember that gravity is working against the direction of motion here.
Yes, it was still incorrect

haruspex said:
So what angle did you use? And what answer did you get?
The angle I used was the angle in between the direction of gravity and the object itself, but I tried the complementary angle to that and it was still incorrect.

You've tried several things, none of which gave you the correct answer. Can we see your best attempt?

Here are some questions to consider:
a) When a 4.9kg mass falls 1m, how much work is done by gravity?
b) When a 4.9kg mass rises by 1m, how much work is done by gravity?
c) If an object slides a distance 3.6m up a 35º incline, what is its change in height?

Likes Lnewqban and suremarc
I used normal force to solve.
An object on an incline does not move in the direction of the normal force. It follows that the normal force does no work on the object. Nor does the normal component of the gravitational force.

Homework Statement:: A 4.9 kg mass slides 3.6 m up a frictionless 35 degree incline. How much work is done by gravity?

I keep getting this question incorrect and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Relevant Equations:: W= F*d*cos(theta)

first I tried to use gravitational force to solve it but because of the incline the gravitational force is zero. so I used normal force to solve.
Normal force is 39.36,
then f*d*cos(theta)
39.36*3.6*cos(55)
it would be cos 55 because the angle is in the direction of normal force from the position of the object
it would equal= 39.36*3.6*cos(55)= 81.27
but it is incorrect.

can anyone please tell me where I made a mistake or if there is another way I should be solving this problem?
thanks

Thank you all fro the help, My mistake was using cosine instead of sin and not considering that gravity would be negative

1. What is an incline problem?

An incline problem is a physics problem that involves an object moving on a surface that is inclined at an angle. This angle affects the forces acting on the object and must be taken into account when solving the problem.

2. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from passing through the surface.

3. How do you calculate normal force in an incline problem?

In an incline problem, the normal force is equal to the component of the object's weight that is perpendicular to the surface. This can be calculated using the formula: N = mg cosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

4. What is the significance of normal force in solving an incline problem?

The normal force is an important factor in solving an incline problem because it is one of the forces that affects the motion of the object. It helps to counteract the force of gravity and allows the object to move along the incline without slipping.

5. Can the normal force ever be greater than the weight of the object?

No, the normal force can never be greater than the weight of the object. The normal force is always equal to the component of the weight that is perpendicular to the surface, so it can only be equal to or less than the weight of the object.