Work done by spring vs hookes law?

In summary, this problem has a spring that needs to be compressed by 5.80 cm to have the same force as when it was at its rest. However, using Hooke's law instead of the kx^2/2, the pressure transmitted throughout the fluid is not constant, so the force on the beam might be different than when the spring was at its rest.
kahwawashay1
what is wrong with this problem?

http://www.cramster.com//answers-mar-10/physics/buoyancy-force-fig-14-36-spring-spring-constant-360x104-mis_811494.aspx

In Fig. 14-36, a spring of spring constant 3.60x104 N/mis between a rigid beam and the output piston of a hydraulic lever.An empty container with negligible mass sits on the input piston.The input piston has area Ai, and the outputpiston has area 15.5Ai. Initially the spring isat its rest length. How many kilograms of sand must be (slowly)poured into the container to compress the spring by 5.80 cm?

See above link if you want to see image.
Basically I solved this same as was solved in the above link, but I do not understand why Hooke's law is used instead of the kx^2/2. What I did was:

work to compress spring=kx^2/2
work applied to piston 1=mgy1, where m is mass of sand
the two works are equal by Pascal's Law, so kx^2/2=mgy1

the volume of water displaced same at both pistons:
V=Aiyi
V=18Aix
Solving for yi and x and plugging into my work equations gives:

(k/2)((V/18Ai)^2)=mg(V/Ai)

So the V does not cancel out. But I cannot see how Hooke's Law can be used. Yes, the spring will feel force of kx once it is compressed 5cm, but the work to achieve this compression is a variable force, so we must integrate or deal with the work...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From what I can gather, if you use conservation of energy, then you'd have to take into account the fact that the beam might move up some distance y2 while the spring will compress a distance x.

Whereas if you were using Hooke's law, the pressure transmitted throughout the fluid is constant. So the force on the beam is the force that the spring is seeing.

rock.freak667 said:
From what I can gather, if you use conservation of energy, then you'd have to take into account the fact that the beam might move up some distance y2 while the spring will compress a distance x.

y2=x

The distance the spring compresses is obviously equal to the distance the beam moves up...so that doesn't solve it..

What is the difference between work done by a spring and Hooke's law?

The work done by a spring refers to the amount of energy required to stretch or compress the spring. This energy is stored in the spring and can be released when the spring returns to its original shape. Hooke's law, on the other hand, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting deformation or displacement of the spring.

How is work done by a spring calculated?

The work done by a spring can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This can be represented by the equation W = 1/2kx², where W is the work done, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.

What is the significance of Hooke's law in the study of springs?

Hooke's law is significant in the study of springs because it allows us to predict the behavior of a spring when a force is applied. It also helps us understand the relationship between the force applied and the resulting displacement of the spring. This law is essential in the design and use of springs in various applications.

Can Hooke's law be applied to all springs?

No, Hooke's law is only applicable to ideal springs that follow the linear relationship between force and displacement. Real-world springs may deviate from this law at higher forces or when they reach their elastic limit.

What are some practical applications of Hooke's law?

Hooke's law has many practical applications, such as in the design of suspension systems in vehicles, measuring devices for weight and force, and various types of springs used in everyday objects like mattresses, trampolines, and door hinges. It is also used in the study of elasticity and material properties in materials science and engineering.