How Much Work Does a Tow Truck Perform When Pulling a Car?

The final answer is 1125000.In summary, the conversation was about finding the work done by a tow truck pulling a stalled car along a road. The chain makes an angle of 30 deg with the road and the tension in the chain is 1500 N. The correct equation to use is W = FDcosθ, where θ is the angle between the chain and the road. The final answer is 1125000.
magnifik

Homework Statement

A tow truck drags a stalled car along a road. The chain makes an angle of 30 deg with the road and the tension in the chain is 1500 N. How much work is done by the truck in pulling the car 1 km?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm confused about is whether we use W = FD or W=FDcos30
What I did was find the horizontal component of force (though I don't know if we use this or the tension given) F = 1500cos30=750*sqrt(3)
then i did W = FDcos30 = 750*sqrt(3)(1000)(cos30) = 1125000

Do i even put cosine again to find work?
Or can i just do W=FD
W=750*sqrt(3)(1000) = 1299038

Physics news on Phys.org
No the component of the force in the direction of motion is Fcosθ, so the work done is W=(Fcosθ)d, which is what you first did.

Related to How Much Work Does a Tow Truck Perform When Pulling a Car?

1. What is "work done" by a tow truck?

Work done by a tow truck refers to the amount of energy expended in moving a vehicle over a distance of 1 kilometer.

2. How is "work done" calculated for a tow truck?

The work done by a tow truck can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to move the vehicle (in newtons) by the distance traveled (in meters).

3. What is the unit of measurement for "work done" by a tow truck?

The unit of measurement for work done is joules (J) in the metric system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

4. How does the weight of the tow truck affect the "work done"?

The weight of the tow truck does not affect the work done, as it is the force applied by the truck that determines the amount of work done.

5. Can "work done" by a tow truck be negative?

Yes, the work done by a tow truck can be negative if the direction of the force applied is opposite to the direction of motion of the vehicle, resulting in work being done against the motion.