What is the work done by a tow truck pulling a car 1 km?

In summary, the horizontal component of tension is 1300 N and the work done by the truck in pulling the car 1 km is approximately 1.3 million joules.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

A tow truck drags a stalled car along a road. The chain makes an angle of 30° with the road and the tension in the chain is 1500 N. How much work is done by the truck in pulling the car 1 km?

Homework Equations

Work = Force * distance

The Attempt at a Solution

By drawing a free body diagram, I learn that the horizontal component of tension is 1500 * cos(30), which is apprx 1300 N. I then multiply by 1000 meters to get 1.3 million joules. Is this correct? Is joules always measured in meters or should I have multiplied by 1 instead? Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
I put this question in math because it's from my Multivariate Calculus Late Transcendentalist book.

... Is joules always measured in meters or should I have multiplied by 1 instead? Thank You[/QUOTE]

##1 \text{Joule} =1 \text{N}\cdot\text{m }, ## so Joules are not in units of meters.

Likes 299
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

A tow truck drags a stalled car along a road. The chain makes an angle of 30° with the road and the tension in the chain is 1500 N. How much work is done by the truck in pulling the car 1 km?

Homework Equations

Work = Force * distance

The Attempt at a Solution

By drawing a free body diagram, I learn that the horizontal component of tension is 1500 * cos(30), which is apprx 1300 N. I then multiply by 1000 meters to get 1.3 million joules. Is this correct? Is joules always measured in meters or should I have multiplied by 1 instead? Thank You
  • Looks right. 1 J = 1 N m

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is the force that is exerted by a string, cable, or other object on another object. It is typically directed along the length of the object and is responsible for keeping the object in a state of tension or being pulled taut.

2. How is tension force calculated?

Tension force can be calculated by using the equation F = m x a, where F is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object. It can also be calculated by using the equation F = k x d, where F is the tension force, k is the spring constant, and d is the displacement of the spring.

3. What is the role of tension force in a tow truck?

In a tow truck, tension force is responsible for pulling the vehicle being towed along with the truck. The cable or chain used to connect the two vehicles creates tension force, which allows the tow truck to pull the other vehicle.

4. How does tension force affect the movement of a towed vehicle?

Tension force can affect the movement of a towed vehicle in several ways. It can help to keep the vehicle in a straight line, as the tension force is directed along the length of the vehicle. It can also cause the vehicle to accelerate or decelerate depending on the strength of the tension force and the resistance of the vehicle.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when using tension force in a tow truck?

When using tension force in a tow truck, it is important to make sure that the cable or chain is properly secured and not damaged. The tension force can become dangerous if the connecting material breaks or if there is too much tension for the truck to handle. It is also important to maintain a safe distance between the tow truck and the vehicle being towed to prevent accidents.