Work done in moving a body up an incline

In summary, the block of 100N weight is slowly slid up on a smooth incline of inclination 37 degrees by a person. The work done by the person in moving the block through a distance of 2m is 120J.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A block of 100N weight is slowly slid up on a smooth incline of inclination 37 degrees by a person. Calculate the work done by the person in moving the block through a distance of 2m, if the driving force is a) parallel to the incline and b) in the horizontal direction.
Relevant Equations
##W=F.d##
##W=mgh=100(\sin 37)2=-120J## Right answer!
But the question is asking work done by the person. So again I wrote two eqns
##F_N\sin 53+F_D\sin 37-100=10.2a_y##
##F_N\cos 53-F_D\cos 37=-10.2a_x##
I just need ##a_x## and ##a_y## to solve.

Attachments

• fdgdf.png
    fdgdf.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check your dimensions ?

"slowly" means ##a=0##.

##\ ##

BvU said:
Did you check your dimensions ?

"slowly" means ##a=0##.

##\ ##
If net force is zero then work done by the person W=238.09J
Where have I done wrong?

rudransh verma said:
Where have I done wrong?
Isn't work done by external force(s) excluding gravity equal to the change in mechanical energy of the system i.e. block in this case? Work must manifest as an increase or decrease of an equal amount of energy.

rudransh verma said:
Where have I done wrong?
No idea. You don't tell us what you are doing, you only give us a numerical result.

[edit] did you notice there is a part a) and a part b) in this exercise ?

vcsharp2003 said:
Isn't work done by external force(s) excluding gravity equal to the change in mechanical energy of the system i.e. block in this case?
Yeah! But we can simply use ##W=F.d=F_D.d=-119.04*-2=238.09J##

How is work defined ? Which way is the force ?

BvU said:
How is work defined ? Which way is the force ?
a) says parallel to incline. So ##F_D## is anti parallel to positive x-axis as well as displacement. So both will be -ve.
##W=\vec F.\vec d##

rudransh verma said:
Yeah! But we can simply use ##W=F.d=F_D.d=-119.04*-2=238.09J##
I would think that the shortest and easiest way to solve this problem would be to find the change in total mechanical energy.

You could alternately solve it by determining the applied force by person, but it would involve more involved calculations.

rudransh verma said:
Homework Statement:: A block of 100N weight is slowly slid up on a smooth incline of inclination 37 degrees by a person. Calculate the work done by the person in moving the block through a distance of 2m, if the driving force is a) parallel to the incline and b) in the horizontal direction.
Relevant Equations:: ##W=F.d##

W=mgh=100(\sin 37)2=-120J Right answer!
But the question is asking work done by the person. So again I wrote two eqns
##F_N\sin 53+F_D\sin 37-100=10.2a_y##
##F_N\cos 53-F_D\cos 37=-10.2a_x##
I just need ##a_x## and ##a_y## to solve.
For incline plane problems, wouldn't it be more convenient to take x-axis as parallel to the incline and y-axis as perpendicular to the incline? You have taken the horizontal axis as x-axis and the vertical axis as y axis.

vcsharp2003 said:
I would think that the shortest and easiest way to solve this problem would be to find the change in total mechanical energy.
Then ##W_{ext}=\Delta E=U_f+K_f-U_i-K_i=U_f-U_i=mgh=100(1.2)=120J##
Same for b)

I have two questions
1) Is normal force not a non conservative force?
2) why W=F.d doesn’t work here?

1) no
2) it works perfectly well

BvU said:
2) it works perfectly well
But ##W=F_D.d= -119.04*-2=238.09 J##.
By the way I have taken standard orientation of xy axis along the horizontal and vertical. But when I am using the formula for work I am taking incline as my x axis.

Last edited:
BvU said:
it works perfectly well
Got it! Some blunder in calculation W=120J

1. What is work done in moving a body up an incline?

The work done in moving a body up an incline refers to the amount of energy needed to move an object from one point to another on an inclined surface against the force of gravity.

2. How is work calculated when moving a body up an incline?

The work done in moving a body up an incline can be calculated using the formula W = mgh, where W is work, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the vertical height of the incline.

3. Does the angle of the incline affect the amount of work done?

Yes, the angle of the incline does affect the amount of work done. The steeper the incline, the more work is required to move the object due to the increase in the vertical height.

4. How does friction play a role in work done on an incline?

Friction can act against the motion of the object on an incline, making it more difficult to move the object and increasing the amount of work done. The coefficient of friction between the object and the incline surface is a factor in calculating the work done.

5. Can less work be done by using a longer incline?

Yes, using a longer incline can reduce the amount of work done. This is because the longer incline allows for a smaller angle, reducing the vertical height and therefore requiring less work to move the object up the incline.