Work done in moving a charge to infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Griffiths Introduction to Electrodynamics and attempts to calculate the work required to move a point charge from the center of an uncharged spherical conducting shell to infinity. There are two approaches considered, one using the equation W = (epsilon_0/2)∫E^2dτ and the other using the equation W = (1/2)∑q_iV(r_i). The correct answer is found to be (q^2/4πε_0)((1/a)-(1/b)), but there is some confusion regarding the use of the equations and the presence of an unwanted negative sign.
beamie564

Homework Statement

(Not for homework/assignment. Just doing problems for practice)
This is from Griffiths Introduction to Electrodynamics, 4th edition, p.112 Problem 2.60
" A point charge q is at the centre of an uncharged spherical conducting shell of inner radius a and outer radius b. Question: How much work would it take to move the charge out to infinity(through a tiny hole drilled in the shell)? [Answer: ##
(q^2/4\pi\epsilon_0)(1/a)
## ]
I later found out that the answer provided in the book is wrong (printing error) and the correct answer is ##\frac{q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}\right)##
Source: http://www.reed.edu/physics/faculty/griffiths/ED4a.pdf

Homework Equations

$$W=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}∫E^2d\tau$$
$$V(r_1)-V(r_2)=\frac W q$$
$$W = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^n q_i V(\textbf{r}_i)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

My first approach was to use the equation ##W=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}∫E^2d\tau## (integrating all over space)
We have using Gauss's law,
$$\vec E=\begin{cases}
\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^2} \hat r &r>b\\
0&a\leq r\leq b\\
\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^2} \hat r&r<a
\end{cases}$$
Substituting, and using spherical coordinates, we have
$$\frac{q^2}{8\pi\epsilon_0}\left[ \int_0^a\frac{1}{r^2}dr+\int_b^∞\frac{1}{r^2}dr\right]$$
$$=\frac{q^2}{8\pi\epsilon_0}\left[\frac{-1}{a}+\frac{1}{0}-\frac{1}{∞}+\frac{1}{b}\right]$$
This leads to infinity.
Approach 2) Using the equation ##W = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^n q_i V(\textbf{r}_i)## , with our 3 'objects' being : the point charge at the centre ( suffix used ##_c##), the inner spherical shell (suffix used ##_a##) and the outer spherical shell (suffix used ##_b##).
$$V_c=\frac{q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{-1}{a}+\frac{1}{b} \right)$$ (This ##V_c## is the potential at the centre due the other two charges). Similarly,
$$V_a=\frac{q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b} \right)$$ and $$V_b=\frac{q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{b}+\frac{-1}{b} \right)$$
So, the total work required to assemble the charges is $$W=\frac{1}{2}[qV_c-qVa+qV_b]$$
This comes out to be $$W=-\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left( \frac{1}{a^2}\right)$$
, which is the wrong answer.
Please someone help me. I'm sure that I am missing some small detail.This problem has been driving me nuts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aniruddha@94 said:
the correct answer is ##\frac{q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}\right)##
Source: http://www.reed.edu/physics/faculty/griffiths/ED4a.pdf
The 4 in the denominator should be 8.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first approach was to use the equation ##W=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}∫E^2d\tau## (integrating all over space)
$$=\frac{q^2}{8\pi\epsilon_0}\left[\frac{-1}{a}+\frac{1}{0}-\frac{1}{∞}+\frac{1}{b}\right]$$
This leads to infinity.
The infinity is due to the infinite “self energy” of a point charge. When you remove the point charge to infinity, that infinite self energy will still exist. But you are only interested in the difference ΔW between initial and final states.

Another way to think about it, using this approach, is to consider the difference between the electric field distribution of the point charge with the spherical shell in place and the electric field of the point charge isolated by itself. You can see that ΔW is due to just the absence of E in the range a < r < b for the initial configuration. So, you can determine ΔW by just an integration of E2 of the point charge over this region. It should give the same answer as your integration.
Approach 2) Using the equation ##W = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^n q_i V(\textbf{r}_i)## , with our 3 'objects' being : the point charge at the centre ( suffix used ##_c##), the inner spherical shell (suffix used ##_a##) and the outer spherical shell (suffix used ##_b##).
$$V_c=\frac{q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{-1}{a}+\frac{1}{b} \right)$$ (This ##V_c## is the potential at the centre due the other two charges).

In the equation ##W = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^n q_i V(\textbf{r}_i)## , ##V(\textbf{r}_i)## is the total potential at the location of ##q_i##, including the contribution from ##q_i## itself. So inside the parentheses in your expression for ##V_c## there should also be an infinite terms, 1/0, representing the potential of the point charge at the location of the point charge. But this is related to the infinite self energy and can be ignored. So, your expression for ##V_c## is OK, except q shouldn't be squared, right?

[EDIT: To avoid worrying about infinite self energy of point charges, the equation ##W = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^n q_i V(\textbf{r}_i)## is used where ##V(\textbf{r}_i)## is the potential at the location of ##q_i## due to all charges other than ##q_i##. So, your expression for ##V_c## then follows just as you derived it (except for the square on q). For continuous charge distributions, ##q_i## in the formula for ##W## is replaced by an infinitesimal element of charge ##dq## and the sum is replace by an integral.]
Similarly,
$$V_a=\frac{q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b} \right)$$
This is missing the potential at r = a due to the charge –q at r = a. (This is not infinite.) Again, should q be squared?
and $$V_b=\frac{q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{b}+\frac{-1}{b} \right)$$
This needs to be fixed similarly to fixing ##V_a##.

Last edited:
TSny said:
The 4 in the denominator should be 8.
TSny said:
Again, should q be squared?
Sorry for these, typing errors. I didn't mean to write ##q^2##.
I now understand the thing about infinite self energy. It's like we're trying to find the energy required to put together a point charge and it comes out to be infinity, right? And I got the correct answer using your suggestion (i.e, energy stored in the field b/w the spheres of radius ##a## and ##b##). But, in my first method, can I simply leave out the ##\frac{1}{0}## part? (Although I feel doing that isn't mathematically correct, and it gives me an unwanted negative sign ).
Also, I've got the error in the second method. For the relation ##W = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^n q_i V(\textbf{r}_i)## , when we're dealing with point charges we leave out the charge at the point we consider, but when it comes to continuous distributions we take the potential of that body too, right?
So, now we get $$V_c=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{-1}{a}+\frac{1}{b} \right)$$ $$V_a=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b} \right)$$ and
$$V_b=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{b}+\frac{-1}{b}+\frac{1}{b} \right)$$
So, ##W=\frac{1}{2}[qV_c-qVa+qV_b]## gives $$W=\frac{q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left( \frac{-1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}\right)$$
Still this negative sign is unaccounted for.:frown:

Aniruddha@94 said:
Sorry for these, typing errors. I didn't mean to write ##q^2##.
I now understand the thing about infinite self energy. It's like we're trying to find the energy required to put together a point charge and it comes out to be infinity, right? And I got the correct answer using your suggestion (i.e, energy stored in the field b/w the spheres of radius ##a## and ##b##). But, in my first method, can I simply leave out the ##\frac{1}{0}## part? (Although I feel doing that isn't mathematically correct, and it gives me an unwanted negative sign ).
Yes, you can just leave it out. The work required to move the charge from the center of the shell to infinity is the difference ##W_f - W_i##, where ##W_i## is the electrostatic energy initially and ##W_f## is the electrostatic energy finally. Both ##W_i## and ##W_f## will contain the infinite self energy 1/0. But it cancels out in taking the difference. You could model the point charge by a very small sphere of radius ##\epsilon##. You would then get a term containing##1/\epsilon## in both ##W_i## and ##W_f## which cancels in taking the difference. The overall negative sign that you are getting will be taken care of when you calculate ##W_f - W_i##.
Also, I've got the error in the second method. For the relation ##W = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^n q_i V(\textbf{r}_i)## , when we're dealing with point charges we leave out the charge at the point we consider, but when it comes to continuous distributions we take the potential of that body too, right?
Yes, that's right.
So, now we get $$V_c=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{-1}{a}+\frac{1}{b} \right)$$ $$V_a=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b} \right)$$ and
$$V_b=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left(\frac{1}{b}+\frac{-1}{b}+\frac{1}{b} \right)$$
So, ##W=\frac{1}{2}[qV_c-qVa+qV_b]## gives $$W=\frac{q^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\left( \frac{-1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}\right)$$
Still this negative sign is unaccounted for.:frown:
Your expression represents the initial energy ##W_i##. It looks good,except the 4 should be an 8 in your last equation. You still need to think about ##W_f## and then find work = ΔW = Wf - Wi.

Last edited:
The problem can be solved by calculating the whole energy of the electric field using energy density (ε/2)E2 . Initially, the q charge was inside the shell, and the electric field was E=kq/r2, except inside the wall of the shell, a<r<b. When the charge is removed to infinity, the electric field is kq/r2 everywhere around the charge.The difference of energies is equal to the work done.

ehild said:
The problem can be solved by calculating the whole energy of the electric field using energy density (ε/2)E2 . Initially, the q charge was inside the shell, and the electric field was E=kq/r2, except inside the wall of the shell, a<r<b. When the charge is removed to infinity, the electric field is kq/r2 everywhere around the charge.The difference of energies is equal to the work done.
Hi, ehild! Yes, this approach was mentioned in post #2. And I believe Aniruddha said in post #3 that he was able to get the answer this way (except for the overall sign?).

Last edited:
TSny said:
Hi, ehild! Yes, this approach was mentioned in post #2. And I believe Aniruddha said in post #3 that he was able to get the answer this way (except for the overall sign).
Yes, I see now.

TSny said:
Your expression represents the initial energy WiWiW_i. It looks good,except the 4 should be an 8 in your last equation. You still need to think about ##W_f## and then find work = ΔW = Wf - Wi.
Aaarrgh! Stupid typo again (sorry about those, I'm using these codes for the first time). Anyways, I don't understand what ##W_f ## should be here. I got what it is in the first method.
TSny said:
And I believe Aniruddha said in post #3 that he was able to get the answer this way (except for the overall sign).
Yes, I've got the answer. The overall sign depends upon whether I take ##\int_a^b## or ##\int_b^a## . Should there any preference?

Aniruddha@94 said:
Aaarrgh! Stupid typo again (sorry about those, I'm using these codes for the first time). Anyways, I don't understand what ##W_f ## should be here.
If a spring is initially stretch so that it has a potential energy Ui and then you stretch it some more until the potential energy is Uf, the work you do is ΔU = Uf - Ui. Likewise, when the point charge is at the center of the shell, the system has an electrostatic potential energy Wi. After moving the point charge to infinity, the system has a new potential energy Wf. (You can use the symbol U instead of W here if you wish.) The work required to move the charge is ΔW = Wf -Wi. If the self energy of the point charge is ignored, then Wf = 0. Then the work required is just ΔW = 0 - Wi = -Wi. That is, the work is the negative of the initial potential energy.
Yes, I've got the answer. The overall sign depends upon whether I take ##\int_a^b## or ##\int_b^a## . Should there any preference?
Yes, you need to take ##\int_a^b##. The integral comes from using ##4 \pi r^2 dr## as the volume element. A volume element should be a positive number. Thus, ##dr## needs to be positive. Integrating from ##a## to ##b## makes ##dr## positive.

Oh! I see it now. Thanks a lot for explaining it.

1. What is the concept of "work done in moving a charge to infinity"?

The concept refers to the amount of energy required to move a charged particle from a point in space to infinity, where the electric field is zero. This work done is represented by the potential energy of the charged particle.

2. How is the work done in moving a charge to infinity related to electric potential?

The work done in moving a charge to infinity is equal to the change in electric potential energy of the charge. This means that the work done is directly proportional to the electric potential difference between the two points.

3. Why is the work done in moving a positive charge to infinity positive?

This is because work is defined as the product of force and displacement. In this case, the force acting on the positive charge is in the same direction as the displacement, resulting in positive work done.

4. Is the work done in moving a charge to infinity always the same?

No, the work done will depend on the initial and final positions of the charge, as well as the electric potential difference between the two points. If the two points are closer, the work done will be less compared to when they are farther apart.

5. How can the work done in moving a charge to infinity be calculated?

The work done can be calculated using the formula W = qΔV, where q is the charge of the particle and ΔV is the change in electric potential between the two points. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula W = ∫F·ds, where F is the force acting on the charge and ds is the infinitesimal displacement of the charge.