Work Done Problem: Solve for Total Work by 94.6 N Force

In summary, the problem involves a block being slid along a rough surface with a force of 94.6 N at an angle of 29 degrees. The mass of the block is 18.7 kg and it is displaced 70.6 m. The coefficient of friction is 0.186. The question asks for the total work done by the force, which can be calculated by finding the net force, which is 57.18318045 N, and multiplying it by the displacement, resulting in 4037.13254 J. However, the total work done by the net force is not the same as the total work done by the force, so the answer is incorrect.
Jake4

Homework Statement

A block is being slid along a rough surface by a force of 94.6 N forming an upward angle with the horizontal of 29 degrees. The mass of the block is 18.7 kg. It is displaced 70.6 m, and the coefficient of friction is .186

what is the total work done by the force.

Homework Equations

Work = (Fnet)(displacement)

friction = coefficient(Fnormal)

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram, and derived these equations:

Fnormal + 94.6sin(29) = mg
Fnet = 94.6cos(29) - friction

From this, I got that Fnormal = 137.3970099 N
friction = 25.55584385 N
Fnet = 57.18318045 N

thus, 57.18318045 N x 70.6 m = 4037.13254 J

Our online program for homework is telling me this is incorrect >.< I'm really not sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jake4! :smile:

Jake4 said:
A block is being slid along a rough surface by a force of 94.6 N forming an upward angle with the horizontal of 29 degrees. The mass of the block is 18.7 kg. It is displaced 70.6 m, and the coefficient of friction is .186

what is the total work done by the force.

Fnet = 94.6cos(29) - friction

Fnet = 57.18318045 N

thus, 57.18318045 N x 70.6 m = 4037.13254 J

read the question :rolleyes:

it doesn't ask for the total work done by the net force. :wink:

>.<!

wow, got it now... frustrates me more when it's simple misunderstandings like that!

Related to Work Done Problem: Solve for Total Work by 94.6 N Force

1. What is the formula for calculating work done?

The formula for calculating work done is Work = Force x Distance. This means that work is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How do you solve for total work using a given force?

To solve for total work using a given force, you need to also know the distance over which the force is applied. Once you have this information, simply multiply the force by the distance to get the total work done.

3. Can you explain the concept of work done with more detail?

Work done is a measure of how much energy is required to move an object over a certain distance. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which the force is applied.

4. What units are used to measure work done?

The SI unit for work done is joules (J). However, other units such as ergs and foot-pounds are also commonly used to measure work.

5. How can I apply the concept of work done in real life situations?

Work done is a fundamental concept in physics and can be applied in many real life situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the energy required to lift objects, the power output of machines, and the force needed to move objects over different surfaces.