Work-Energy theorem if the particle´s mass depends on time

In summary, the conversation discussed the work-energy theorem for variable mass systems. The original poster was unable to find an existing equation for this concept and decided to share their own equation on the forum. Another member challenged the correctness of the equation but the original poster defended it by stating that it follows the concept of momentum in variable mass systems. The conversation ends with a mentor being asked to verify the equation.
vdvdlk
This weekend I was trying to calculate the work-energy theorem, considering a body that can be treated like a particle, and has its mass varying in time. I searched through a lot of sites if such thing existed, and didn´t find anything. Then I found a thread (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/work-energy-theorem-for-variable-mass-systems.720649/) from 2013, asking that same thing, but appeared to not be answered. This motivated me to put my results in here. As I´m not familiarized with writing the math in the computer, I put the image of how I did it below. Summarizing, I found this equation:

dW = dK + (1/2)v2dm

Where W stands for the work done by the net force F, K stands for kinectic energy, m stands for mass in function of time, and v stands for the norm of the velocity.

http://imgur.com/a/MUhaT

Is this result correct? If not, where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your result is correct.

Likes vdvdlk
DrStupid said:
Your result is correct.
No, you and @vdvdlk are wrong. Because, varying mass will even lead to varying velocities! When mass increase, velocity decrease. When mass decrease, velocity increase just to put up that total KE value constant.
So no such equations exist readymade.
But you can still study its change in mass and velocity, but you have to make up the formula.

Recipe: Knowledge upon momentum in variable mass system.

Skills/Techniques to make it: Mathematics, solving equations using algebra and some calculus.

Material Source: Click Here. Read only the first part, It is the concept. Second part is all about its applications in rockets (Up to you even if you read or not)

Both momentum with varying mass and kinetic energy with varying mass have a same concept: The total momentum/kinetic energy always remain constant by shifting velocity as mass shift.

Then why momentum first? Because, momentum with varying mass exists readymade explained in materials and online sources like I have given one and kinetic energy does not (As you say)

When you get familiar with momentum with varying mass, you find it easy to apply even in kinetic energy.

Just give it a try and put your final equation from your work and conclude in this thread. Even I put up my result tomorrow upon solving it on my own.
Good Luck!

Likes vdvdlk
AlphaLearner said:
When mass increase, velocity decrease. When mass decrease, velocity increase just to put up that total KE value constant.

That depends on the circumstances. The velocity of a rocket doesn't need to in crease if it's mass decreases and the velocity of a ballistic pendulum doesn't need to decreases when it's mass increases and the KE of an open system doesn't need to be constant.

AlphaLearner said:
Just give it a try and put your final equation from your work and conclude in this thread.

[itex]K = {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}m \cdot v^2[/itex]
[itex]dK = m \cdot v \cdot dv + {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}v^2 \cdot dm[/itex]
[itex]dW = F \cdot ds = m \cdot \dot v \cdot ds + v \cdot \dot m \cdot ds = m \cdot v \cdot dv + v^2 \cdot dm = dK + {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}v^2 \cdot dm[/itex]

Likes vdvdlk
DrStupid said:
That depends on the circumstances. The velocity of a rocket doesn't need to in crease if it's mass decreases and the velocity of a ballistic pendulum doesn't need to decreases when it's mass increases and the KE of an open system doesn't need to be constant.
Since you have mentioned 'Open System', your statement can be agreed to an extent. But in closed rocket - Earth system, when mass of rocket decrease as it eject out fuel as it goes higher, velocity must and should increase. But due various external forces like gravitational force or air resistance acting upon it, You may not find it true. But in a space where the particle is not affected by any external forces, the the particle definately shift its velocity with respect to change in mass in order to keep the value of the Kinetic Energy constant. But for now, for @vdvlk discussing regarding KE in closed system is necesary to understand than in an Open system which makes it more complicated for him.

I'm still not done with the solving part since I didn't find time for it... Sorry for the delay. If a mentor comes into this thread, He can surely help you by verifying your equation or even mine (when kept later).
Your equation clearly show change in velocity and you don't say it happens so...

Likes vdvdlk
AlphaLearner said:
Since you have mentioned 'Open System', your statement can be agreed to an extent.

As it was clear from the beginning that we are talking about open systems, this means that your original statement is wrong.

AlphaLearner said:
But in closed rocket - Earth system, when mass of rocket decrease as it eject out fuel as it goes higher, velocity must and should increase.

No, it doesn't. The speed of the accelerating rocket can also decrease or remain constant - even without external forces.

AlphaLearner said:
But in a space where the particle is not affected by any external forces, the the particle definately shift its velocity with respect to change in mass in order to keep the value of the Kinetic Energy constant.

No, it doesn't. There is no reason for the kinetic energy of a particle with changing mass to remain constant.

AlphaLearner said:
Your equation clearly show change in velocity and you don't say it happens so...

What are you talking about?

Likes vdvdlk
What do you guys mean by a closed or open system?

vdvdlk said:
What do you guys mean by a closed or open system?

Closed systems can interact with the environmend but don't exchange mass. Open systems also exchange mass.

Well... once again, 'Open System' has all to do with what you have said. But just tell me one thing, will you begin topics like Newton's laws of moton, work and energy, system of particles, momentum, gravitation, thermodynamics and to say complete mechanics with an 'Open System' or 'Closed system'? Which one sounds easy to study first. Dont talk about 'Open Systems' unless this topic gets clear with 'Closed systems'.

This topic is not intented to talk about 'Open' or 'Closed' systems. If, any of us can frame the equation for it as correct as possible, we will give it off to @vdvlk.

AlphaLearner said:
Dont talk about 'Open Systems' unless this topic gets clear with 'Closed systems'.

Closed systems are off-topic.

DrStupid said:
Closed systems are off-topic.
What do you mean? Dont you study simple systems rather go for more complex systems where energy and forces exist in vast forms which beginners (Including me to say) don't know over more than 90% what they are and where they come from too? It's like literally scaring off beginners away from physics. Consider, Kinetic Energy of a particle moving in free space is defined as KE = 1/2mv2 in a closed, conserved system. When expose that same partilcle to an 'Open system', you should start considering effects, Air resistance, Gravity (Leading it to projectile motion than straight path) etc. etc. and when it comes to apply it all in a simple equation like 1/2mv2, It is a completely huge task to get even such a simple result. Try that yourself?

AlphaLearner said:
What do you mean?

The mass of closed systems is invariant in classical physics. This thread is about systems with time-dependend mass.

AlphaLearner said:
Try that yourself?

The OP and I already did it and the calculation appears to be quite simple (see above). When do you plan to contribute something useful to this thread?

Last edited:

1. How does the work-energy theorem apply to a particle with a changing mass over time?

The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on a particle is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This still applies to a particle with a changing mass, as long as the mass changes uniformly over time. In this case, the work done on the particle is equal to the change in its kinetic energy, as well as the change in its potential energy due to the change in mass.

2. Can the work-energy theorem be applied to a particle with a non-uniformly changing mass?

In general, the work-energy theorem can still be applied to a particle with a non-uniformly changing mass. However, the calculation of work and energy must take into account the changing mass at each point in time. This can make the calculations more complex, but the overall principle still holds true.

3. How does a changing mass affect the work done on a particle?

If a particle's mass increases over time, the work done on the particle will also increase. This is because the particle's kinetic energy will increase due to the increase in mass. On the other hand, if the particle's mass decreases over time, the work done on the particle will decrease, as its kinetic energy will decrease due to the decrease in mass.

4. What factors can cause a particle's mass to change over time?

A particle's mass can change over time due to various physical processes, such as chemical reactions, nuclear reactions, and phase changes. For example, in a chemical reaction, the mass of the reactants will be different from the mass of the products, leading to a change in the overall mass of the system.

5. How does the work-energy theorem relate to the law of conservation of energy?

The work-energy theorem is a direct consequence of the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of a particle with a changing mass, the work done on the particle will change its kinetic energy, but the total energy of the system (including potential energy) will remain constant, in accordance with the law of conservation of energy.