Work Energy Theorem for Variable Mass Systems

In summary, the work-energy theorem can be applied to variable mass systems, such as a rocket or a moving train car leaking water. The mathematical basis for this theorem can be derived by integrating Newton's second law over an infinitesimal displacement. However, there is limited information on the derivation of this relationship for variable mass systems, with most sources assuming it to be true. An equation can be set up to calculate the energy flux in the system, taking into account the rates of work and energy transfer, as well as the change in kinetic energy. This theorem applies to all particles in the system, including those that have left it, but there is a lack of specific information on its application.
MuIotaTau
How do we know that the work-energy theorem holds for variable mass systems? Or rather, since I'm sure that we can at least know it to be true experimentally, what is the mathematical basis for the work-energy theorem? I know for fixed mass systems, a rather simple derivation comes from integration Newton's second law over an infinitesimal displacement, but I've never seen any sort of derivation of the relationship for variable mass systems, only the assumption that it holds. So purely out of curiosity, does any such demonstration exist?

Likes vdvdlk
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please give an example of a 'variable mass system'?

The stereotypical examples that come to mind are a rocket, or perhaps a moving traincar leaking water.

Well, you can set up an equation for the energy flux, obviously, where the rates of work (i.e power transferred) on the system combined with the rate by which energy leaves the system bymeans of energy carrying material will equal the rate of change of the kinetic energy in the system.

Thank you for this clarification. The work-energy theorem will apply to all the particles in the system, provided that you enlarge your system to include not just the particles in the rocket or the train car, but those that have left it (exhaust gases, leaked water). I suspect this is too general a remark to be of much use. I'll try and come up with something more specific, but let's hope someone else supplies what you want sooner than I will.

Last edited:

What is the Work Energy Theorem for Variable Mass Systems?

The Work Energy Theorem for Variable Mass Systems is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the change in kinetic energy of a system is equal to the net work done on the system.

How does the Work Energy Theorem apply to variable mass systems?

In variable mass systems, the mass of the system changes over time. The Work Energy Theorem takes into account this change in mass by including the work done by or against mass changes in the calculation of the change in kinetic energy.

What are some examples of variable mass systems?

Examples of variable mass systems include rockets, airplanes, and fireworks. In these systems, mass is either added or expelled, causing a change in the overall mass of the system.

Is the Work Energy Theorem for Variable Mass Systems always applicable?

While the Work Energy Theorem is a fundamental principle, it is not applicable to all situations. It assumes that there are no external forces acting on the system besides the forces that do work. It also assumes that there is no energy lost due to friction or other dissipative forces.

How is the Work Energy Theorem for Variable Mass Systems derived?

The Work Energy Theorem for Variable Mass Systems is derived from the Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on a system is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration. By integrating this equation and applying it to a variable mass system, the Work Energy Theorem can be derived.