Bernoulli's equation and the work energy theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about the derivation of Bernoulli's equation, specifically the addition of potential energy in the equation. It is explained that the work energy theorem states that the net work done on the fluid is equal to the change in kinetic energy, and the equation includes two works done by gravity and pressure. The conversation then goes on to discuss the pressure at the bottom and top of a straw in a glass of water, and how this relates to Bernoulli's equation. It is suggested that the pressure in the equation may be from an external force rather than gravity.
Chenkel
Hello physics researchers, teachers and enthusiasts.

I notice one little thing is confusing me in the derivation of Bernoulli's equation in the article, they write:$$dW = dK + dU$$where dW is the work done to the fluid, dK is the change in kinetic energy of the fluid, and dU is the change in gravitational potential energy of the fluid. But I thought with the work energy theorem, the work done to the fluid is equal to the change in kinetic energy:$$dW = dK$$Why is there an additional term of potential energy in their equation? My apologies if this is a little too simple!

Physics news on Phys.org
Potential energy is gained or lost if there is a change in height of the fluid as it moves.

Likes Chenkel
kuruman said:
Potential energy is gained or lost if there is a change in height of the fluid as it moves.
I agree with that, but the work done to fluid should equal mgh, so I would expect the work energy equation to be something like $$mgh = dK$$The equation they have is different.

Thank you for the response.

Chenkel said:
I agree with that, but the work done to fluid should equal mgh, so I would expect the work energy equation to be something like $$mgh = dK$$The equation they have is different.

Thank you for the response.
The work energy theorem says ##W_{net}=\Delta K##. The term ##W_{net}## is the sum of two works done on the fluid. One work, ##dm~ g~\Delta h## is done by gravity and the other ##p\Delta V## is done by pressure (see equation 14.8.8).

Likes Chenkel
kuruman said:
The work energy theorem says ##W_{net}=\Delta K##. The term ##W_{net}## is the sum of two works done on the fluid. One work, ##dm~ g~\Delta h## is done by gravity and the other ##p\Delta V## is done by pressure (see equation 14.8.8).
What happens if the pressure difference is caused by gravity? In that situation would we be summing the work done by gravity twice in a round about way? The mgh term, and the pressure force through a distance term?

Are you asking about the static pressure when the fluid is not moving? Try this at home. Put a straw upright in a glass of water. Plug the top end and lift the straw out of the glass. The water will remain in the straw.
Question 1: What is pressure at the bottom water-air interface? Why?
Now lift your finger that plugs the top end. The water will spill out.
Question 2: As soon as you lift the finger, what is the pressure (a) at the bottom air-water interface and (b) at the top air-water interface? Why?

Likes Chenkel
kuruman said:
Are you asking about the static pressure when the fluid is not moving? Try this at home. Put a straw upright in a glass of water. Plug the top end and lift the straw out of the glass. The water will remain in the straw.
Question 1: What is pressure at the bottom water-air interface? Why?
Now lift your finger that plugs the top end. The water will spill out.
Question 2: As soon as you lift the finger, what is the pressure (a) at the bottom air-water interface and (b) at the top air-water interface? Why?
For question 1: I'm guessing the pressure at the bottom of the straw is 1 atmosphere at sea level, and the pressure at the top of the straw is 1 atmosphere minus ##\rho g h## where h is the height of the straw

For question 2: When you lift your finger I'm guessing the pressure at the bottom is still one atmosphere, and the pressure at the top becomes one atmosphere.

I'm wondering if the pressure in Bernoulli's equation is not pressure from gravity but pressure from some other external force, and I am imagining some moving (non static) liquid. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me to treat the vertical work done by gravity, and the work done by pressure as different work quantities unless the work done by pressure is the result of a non gravitational external force.

Chenkel said:
For question 1: I'm guessing the pressure at the bottom of the straw is 1 atmosphere at sea level, and the pressure at the top of the straw is 1 atmosphere minus ##\rho g h## where h is the height of the straw

For question 2: When you lift your finger I'm guessing the pressure at the bottom is still one atmosphere, and the pressure at the top becomes one atmosphere.

I'm wondering if the pressure in Bernoulli's equation is not pressure from gravity but pressure from some other external force, and I am imagining some moving (non static) liquid. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me to treat the vertical work done by gravity, and the work done by pressure as different work quantities unless the work done by pressure is the result of a non gravitational external force.
##z## for "elevation" in Bernoulli's ( work by gravity per unit mass ). It is a different term than ## \frac{P}{\gamma} ##, they are independent of each other in that derivation. That ##P## is from "something" doing work on the fluid. You are adding the contributions from each together along with a kinetic energy per unit mass ## \frac{v^2}{2g}##to get the total energy per unit mass at some point along a streamline.

Likes Lnewqban and Chenkel
erobz said:
##z## for "elevation" in Bernoulli's ( work by gravity per unit mass ). It is a different term than ## \frac{P}{\gamma} ##, they are independent of each other in that derivation. That ##P## is from "something" doing work on the fluid. You are adding the contributions from each together along with a kinetic energy per unit mass ## \frac{v^2}{2g}##to get the total energy per unit mass at some point along a streamline.
It sounds to me like you are saying the pressure is from something other than gravity in Bernoulli's equation, is it safe to assume in the standard equation that we ignore the effects of gravity on pressure? Also I apologize for being a little new to the terminology, but what is the ##\gamma## in ##\frac {P}{\gamma}## and shouldn't kinetic energy per unit mass be ##\frac {v^2}{2}##?

Chenkel said:
It sounds to me like you are saying the pressure is from something other than gravity in Bernoulli's equation, is it safe to assume in the standard equation that we ignore the effects of gravity on pressure?
The pressure from gravity is not ignored, its there. Its just that in the Bernoulli Equation we aren't adding pressures, we are adding energy per unit weight from each contributing source.
Chenkel said:
and shouldn't kinetic energy per unit mass be ##\frac {v^2}{2}##?
Sorry, the terms have dimension energy per unit weight...not mass. My bad.

Chenkel said:
Also I apologize for being a little new to the terminology, but what is the ##\gamma## in ##\frac {P}{\gamma}##
## \gamma ## is the specific weight of the fluid:

## \gamma = \rho g ##

Where ## \rho ## is the mass density of the fluid

Likes Chenkel
So after looking at the article again I believe I understand it a little better, the work done to the fluid is equal to the sum of the work done in all dimensions (x, y, and z). So this means we need to consider the vertical work done by gravity, and the lateral work done by pressure, we can relate these two quantities with the work energy theorem.

In the derivation of Bernoulli's equation in the article, the work done by pressure is only lateral (not vertical), I'm wondering if the derivation would get a different result if the work the pressure was doing was in the direction of gravity...

Thank you again for the feedback. I believe I understand much more, but I do wonder about the different derivation from vertical or semi-vertical work from pressure.

Likes Lnewqban
Chenkel said:
In the derivation of Bernoulli's equation in the article, the work done by pressure is only lateral (not vertical), I'm wondering if the derivation would get a different result if the work the pressure was doing was in the direction of gravity...

Thank you again for the feedback. I believe I understand much more, but I do wonder about the different derivation from vertical or semi-vertical work from pressure.
The work done by pressure is a path integral. It is the amount of work done on a fluid element as it moves on a path from ##a \to b##. You seem to be concerned about what is happening when the path is going "up"?

Last edited:
Likes Chenkel
erobz said:
The work done by pressure is a path integral. It is the amount of work done on a fluid element as it moves on a path from ##a \to b##. You seem to be concerned about what is happening when the path is going "up"?
I was concerned with what happens in the derivation when the velocity is aiming in a vertical or semi vertical angle (against gravity). I believe angle of the initial and final velocity vectors do not matter now that I've analyzed the problem. The main point I want to make that was initially confusing to me, is that there's a difference between net work done on the liquid, and net work done by pressure. I initially thought I could use the work energy theorem to find the work done by pressure, but the work energy theorem tells us the work done to the fluid, and not the work done by pressure.

To illustrate this point, imagine you have an object and you move it vertically, and it maintains the same velocity at beginning and end, the net work done to the body is 0 even considering gravity (using the energy work theorem), but the net work done by you is mgh (definitely not 0). Now imagine you're the "pressure," and the object you're pushing is the "fluid." You will end up doing mgh joules of work, but the work done to the fluid is still 0.

In summary this explains why ##dW = dK + dU## instead of just ##dW = dK##.

Likes erobz
OK, let me do a series of applications of the Bernoulli equation to find the difference in pressure at two different points of a pipe containing an incompressible fluid. First the continuity equation says that $$Av=\beta=\text{const.}$$where ##\beta## is the volumetric flow, e.g. gallons/minute. I use the continuity equation to eleiminate speed from Bernoulli's equation to get $$p+\frac{1}{2}\rho\left(\frac{\beta}{A}\right)^2+\rho~g~h=\text{const.}$$The pressure difference between two points in the pipe, ##\Delta p=p_2-p_1##, is $$\Delta p=\frac{1}{2}\rho\beta^2\left(\frac{1}{A_2^2}-\frac{1}{A_1^2}\right)+\rho g(h_2-h_1).$$Case I: Horizontal pipe with uniform cross section. WIth ##h_2=h_1## and ##A_2=A_1##,$$\Delta p=0.$$ Case II: Horizontal pipe with change in cross section. WIth ##h_2=h_1##,$$\Delta p=\frac{1}{2}\rho\beta^2\left(\frac{1}{A_2^2}-\frac{1}{A_1^2}\right).$$If ##A_2>A_1##, the pressure drops, else it rises as the fluid flows from 1 to 2.

Case III: Pipe with change in cross section and change in height. $$\Delta p=\frac{1}{2}\rho\beta^2\left(\frac{1}{A_2^2}-\frac{1}{A_1^2}\right)+\rho g(h_2-h_1).$$The change in pressure could be positive, negative or zero depending on the choice of cross-sections and heights.

Case IV: Pipe with change in cross section and change in height but no fluid flow. With ##\beta =0##, $$\Delta p=\rho g(h_2-h_1).$$This is the familiar hydrostatic pressure result. Hydrostatic pressure is built in Bernoulli's equation and does not do additional work when the fluid is moving.

I hope this helps.

• Love
Likes Chenkel, Delta2 and erobz
Chenkel said:
The main point I want to make that was initially confusing to me, is that there's a difference between net work done on the liquid, and net work done by pressure. I initially thought I could use the work energy theorem to find the work done by pressure, but the work energy theorem tells us the work done to the fluid, and not the work done by pressure.
I would like to clarify that the principle is based on an isolated system, with neither work or heat coming into it.
The three forms of energy transform into any of the other, according to the flow characteristics, but the amount of internal energy remains the same.
Somehow, it could be compared to the transformation of kinetic and potential energy for a rollercoaster, depending on the cart position.

Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle

In order to do work on the fluid, a pump is needed, just like the heart does to make blood circulate up and down the body, overcoming the natural resistance from friction and turbulence.
The heart suplies the delta P between its inlet and outlet, but the internal presion in the circulatory system depends on other factors.

Likes Chenkel, erobz and kuruman
Once more it's clear that the confusion comes from the avoidance of math ;-). The equation is derivable from Euler's equation for the perfect fluid
$$\rho [\partial_t \vec{v} + (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \vec{v}=-\vec{\nabla} P - \vec{\nabla} V,$$
where ##\vec{P}## is the pressure of the fluid and ##V## the potential of the external force density (e.g., $$V=-\rho \vec{g} \cdot \vec{r}$$
for the potential of the gravitational force.

The only trick is to rewrite the "convection term" by calculating the gradient of ##\vec{v}^2##. That's most easily done using the Ricci calculus (for Cartesian components; Einstein summation convention implied),
$$\partial_{j} (v_k v_k)=2 v_k \partial_j v_k = 2 [v_k (\partial_j v_k -\partial_k v_j)+v_k \partial_k v_j] = 2[v_k \epsilon_{jkl}(\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v})_l +v_k \partial_k v_j] = 2 [\vec{v} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v})]_j + 2 (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) v_j,$$
i.e., in vector notation
$$\frac{1}{2} \vec{\nabla} (\vec{v}^2) = \vec{v} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v}) +(\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \vec{v}.$$
Plugging this into Euler's equation, you get
$$\rho [\partial_t \vec{v} + \frac{1}{2} \vec{\nabla} (\vec{v}^2) - \vec{v} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v})]=-\vec{\nabla}(P+V).$$
Now assuming incompressibility, ##\rho=\text{const}##, ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v}=0##, and ##\partial_t \vec{v}=0## you get
$$\vec{\nabla} \left (\frac{\rho}{2} \vec{v}^2+P+V \right)=0$$
or
$$\frac{\rho}{2} \vec{v}^2 + P + V =\text{const}.$$
That's Bernoulli's theorem with the clearly stated assumptions when it's valid

(a) ideal fluid
(b) incompressibility
(c) stationary flow
(d) irrotational flow

Likes Chenkel, Delta2, erobz and 1 other person
Just as a heads up.

There is a "sticky" situation here. Bernoulli's is derived for inviscid flow. It's just an approximation to real flow over short distances.

The conceptual trouble always comes in when we try to use it to solve for the ## \Delta P ## of straight/uniform horizontal section of pipe. Something that is completely not a problem in real viscous flow suddenly disagrees (dare I say even seems a bit paradoxical) with what we know about flow in pipes. However, it should be expected if we remember the assumptions.

Likes Chenkel, vanhees71 and Lnewqban
vanhees71 said:
Once more it's clear that the confusion comes from the avoidance of math ;-). The equation is derivable from Euler's equation for the perfect fluid
$$\rho [\partial_t \vec{v} + (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \vec{v}=-\vec{\nabla} P - \vec{\nabla} V,$$
where ##\vec{P}## is the pressure of the fluid and ##V## the potential of the external force density (e.g., $$V=-\rho \vec{g} \cdot \vec{r}$$
for the potential of the gravitational force.

The only trick is to rewrite the "convection term" by calculating the gradient of ##\vec{v}^2##. That's most easily done using the Ricci calculus (for Cartesian components; Einstein summation convention implied),
$$\partial_{j} (v_k v_k)=2 v_k \partial_j v_k = 2 [v_k (\partial_j v_k -\partial_k v_j)+v_k \partial_k v_j] = 2[v_k \epsilon_{jkl}(\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v})_l +v_k \partial_k v_j] = 2 [\vec{v} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v})]_j + 2 (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) v_j,$$
i.e., in vector notation
$$\frac{1}{2} \vec{\nabla} (\vec{v}^2) = \vec{v} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v}) +(\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \vec{v}.$$
Plugging this into Euler's equation, you get
$$\rho [\partial_t \vec{v} + \frac{1}{2} \vec{\nabla} (\vec{v}^2) - \vec{v} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v})]=-\vec{\nabla}(P+V).$$
Now assuming incompressibility, ##\rho=\text{const}##, ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{v}=0##, and ##\partial_t \vec{v}=0## you get
$$\vec{\nabla} \left (\frac{\rho}{2} \vec{v}^2+P+V \right)=0$$
or
$$\frac{\rho}{2} \vec{v}^2 + P + V =\text{const}.$$
That's Bernoulli's theorem with the clearly stated assumptions when it's valid

(a) ideal fluid
(b) incompressibility
(c) stationary flow
(d) irrotational flow
Thats notation is a little intimidating though!

Eulers Formula:

$$ -\frac{ \partial }{ \partial l} \left( p + \gamma z \right) = \rho \left( V \frac{ \partial V}{ \partial l} + \frac{\partial V}{ \partial t} \right) $$

(but I even think this is intimidating)

Last edited:
Likes Chenkel
I don't understand your notation. What's ##l##? Also note that the velocity is a vector!

Likes Chenkel
vanhees71 said:
I don't understand your notation. What's ##l##? Also note that the velocity is a vector!
According to the textbook I copied it from ##l## is a pathline in the flow. When they derive Bernoulli’s from it, the assumption is the flow is steady and the “local acceleration” ## \frac{\partial V}{\partial t}= 0##. Then they say that with this assumption the “pathline” becomes a “streamline” ##s## and the derivatives become normal w.r.t. ##s##.

Likes Chenkel and vanhees71

1. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in a steady flow. It states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline, meaning that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases and vice versa.

2. How is Bernoulli's equation derived?

Bernoulli's equation is derived from the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. In fluid dynamics, this means that the total energy of a fluid must remain constant along a streamline. By considering the different forms of energy in a fluid, such as kinetic, potential, and pressure, Bernoulli's equation can be derived.

3. What is the work energy theorem?

The work energy theorem is a principle in physics that states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In the context of fluid dynamics, this means that the work done by the fluid on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This theorem is closely related to Bernoulli's equation, as it can be used to derive it.

4. How is the work energy theorem applied in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, the work energy theorem is applied by considering the work done by the fluid on an object, such as a moving boat or airplane. This work is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy, which can be calculated using the mass, velocity, and other properties of the fluid. The work energy theorem is useful in analyzing the forces and energy involved in fluid flow.

5. What are the practical applications of Bernoulli's equation and the work energy theorem?

Bernoulli's equation and the work energy theorem have numerous practical applications in engineering and science. They are used to analyze and design fluid systems, such as pipelines, pumps, and turbines. They are also important in understanding the aerodynamics of objects in motion, such as airplanes and cars. Additionally, these principles are used in weather forecasting and in the study of ocean currents and waves.