Work on 1 pulley system and two masses

In summary: Hibbler provides a step-by-step solution for the homework problem. The potential energy increases for one mass and decreases for the other when both masses are assumed to move down with energy. Tension in the rope does zero work because it is a reaction force. Reaction forces do work, but an example of one is when a person jumps off a pier and the water reacts by pushing them back.
whatname

Homework Statement

this is from an example problem in the hibbler dynamics book 13th edition in the section of work so i don't really have a question on how to do it. the question is why is the problem solved the way it is solved.

the system has one pulley.one rope.and two masses at each end of the rope the work done by gravity is positive for both masses...why?. since one mass is going up and the other mass down. shouldn't work by gravity be negative for the mass going up?
i assign positive going down.

Homework Equations

work done on an object = the change in the objects KE

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved with kinematic equations and found the answers match. so I know its correct to assume that both masses go down with energy equations, but if I try to solve with one mass going up (and so work by gravity is negative on that one)and the other down (so work by gravity is positive on this one) using energy equations I get a different/wrong answer. so why must both masses be assumed to move down? is it because of the rope? How? also, tension does zero work. Why? is it because its a reaction force? can reaction forces do work?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please provide a diagram and show us your work? Thanks.

this more of a concept question not a how to do it question since this is an example problem and the solution with step by step solution is already provided. all I am asking is 1.)why must it be assumed that both masses move down and how can it be done with 1 mass going up and the other down using cons. of energy. 2.) why doesn't the tension in the cord do work.3) do reaction forces do work? if so what's an example of one?

whatname said:
this more of a concept question not a how to do it question since this is an example problem and the solution with step by step solution is already provided. all I am asking is 1.)why must it be assumed that both masses move down and how can it be done with 1 mass going up and the other down using cons. of energy. 2.) why doesn't the tension in the cord do work.3) do reaction forces do work? if so what's an example of one?
I agree with you. For one of the masses, the potential energy increases, and for the other mass, the potential energy decreases. Any possibility of your typing out the solution they gave so that I can see exactly what they did? It's very hard to address your question without seeing more details.

Chet

What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable wrapped around it. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by distributing the weight of an object between multiple ropes or cables. The more pulleys in the system, the less force is required to lift or move the object. This is because the weight is divided evenly between the ropes, reducing the overall force needed.

What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is the ratio of the output force (the force needed to lift or move the object) to the input force (the force applied to the rope or cable). In a simple pulley system with one fixed and one movable pulley, the mechanical advantage is 2. This means that the input force is half of the output force.

What are the different types of pulley systems?

There are three types of pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley has a stationary axle and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley has a movable axle and provides a mechanical advantage. A compound pulley combines both fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage even further.

How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be calculated by counting the number of ropes supporting the object. The mechanical advantage is equal to the number of ropes minus one. For example, a pulley system with three ropes supporting the object will have a mechanical advantage of 2 (3-1=2).