Work per particle of a NaCl chain

In summary, the conversation is about finding the work per particle to assemble an infinite chain of NaCl ions. The interaction energy between each ion is given and the goal is to calculate the total energy per particle. The conversation also includes hints on how to approach the problem.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Find the work per particle required to assemble such a configuration.
Problem
Relevant Equations
W=qV
The problem states to find the work per particle to assemble the following NaCl chain.
I just want to post my work here to verify I have the correct answer.

My work is attached in the image provided.
Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 5.02.37 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this chain supposed to be infinite? (or of length 8?)

Likes guyvsdcsniper
ergospherical said:
Is this chain supposed to be infinite? (or of length 8?)
Ah it does say infinite, I missed that in the question.

Right. Well in that case, focus on a particular ion in the chain (labelled "0" below):
##\dots \ominus_{-3} \oplus_{-2} \ominus_{-1} \oplus_0 \ominus_1 \oplus_{2} \ominus_{3} \dots##

Let the interaction energy between ##m## and ##n## be ##U(m,n)##. Assuming each ion to be separated by a distance ##a## from its nearest neighbours, what's the sum of the interaction energies of all the pairs including the ion ##n=0##, i.e. ##U(0,1) + U(-1,0) + U(0,2) + U(-2,0) + \dots##?

How might you use this to work out the total energy per particle, which is proportional to ##\sum\limits_{\substack{m,n \\ m<n}} U(m,n)##? Be careful not to double count.

Likes guyvsdcsniper and Hamiltonian
Edited

If you haven't already sorted this out, here are a couple of hints which should help:
- familiarise yourself with the series expansion of ##ln(2)##;
- make your working simpler/neater by defining ##A = \frac {q^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}##.

Last edited:
Likes guyvsdcsniper and Hamiltonian
I figured it out. Thank you both for your help.

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What is work per particle of a NaCl chain?

Work per particle of a NaCl chain refers to the amount of energy required to move a single NaCl molecule from one point to another within the chain. It is a measure of the force needed to overcome the attractive forces between the ions in the chain.

2. How is work per particle of a NaCl chain calculated?

The work per particle of a NaCl chain can be calculated by multiplying the force required to move the molecule by the distance it is moved. This can also be expressed as the change in potential energy of the molecule.

3. What factors affect the work per particle of a NaCl chain?

The work per particle of a NaCl chain is affected by the strength of the attractive forces between the ions, the distance between the ions, and the presence of any external forces acting on the chain.

4. Why is work per particle of a NaCl chain important?

Work per particle of a NaCl chain is important because it helps us understand the stability and properties of the chain. It also plays a role in various chemical and physical processes, such as crystal growth and dissolution.

5. How does the work per particle of a NaCl chain relate to other types of bonds?

The work per particle of a NaCl chain is similar to the bond energy of other types of bonds, such as covalent or metallic bonds. It represents the amount of energy needed to break the bond and is a measure of the strength of the bond.