Work that must be done to charge a spherical shell

In summary,1. To move a charge from infinity to the surface of a spherical shell, calculate the work that must be done.2. V= - \int{E \cdot ds} W= q\triangle V 3. To move a charge from infinity to the surface of a spherical shell, multiply the right hand side by dq and replace Vdq by dW.
ElPimiento
1. Calculate the work that must be done on charges brought from infinity to charge a spherical shell of radius
R = 0.100 m to a total charge of Q = 125 μC.2. [tex]V = k_e\int{\frac{dq}{r}} [/tex][tex]\triangle V = - \int{E \cdot ds} [/tex][tex] W = q\triangle V [/tex]3. I started with assuming the spherical shell produces an electric field equal to that of a point charge, so
[tex] E = k_e \frac{q}{r^2} [/tex]
[tex] V = k_e \frac{q}{r} [/tex] (since they're coming from infinity the initial potential is 0)
But once I get to this point I don't know where to go, I tried sort of just using the fundamental charge for q in
[tex] W = q\triangle V [/tex]
to no success. I also tried a similar method to the aforementioned, where I started by assuming each infinitesimal bit of work could be given by:
[tex] dW = k_e \frac {e}{r} dq [/tex]
But I don't know how to evaluate this as an integral.
So how should I set up this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Capsicum annuum :smile:, :welcome:

So you start from an uncharged sphere and bring a little charge ##dq## from infinity to the surface of the sphere. For free, because no force is needed. We can ignore subtle complicated effects because ##dq## is infinitesimally small.

Once there is some charge q on the sphere (which -- as I hope you know -- distributes itself evenly over the outer surface), the potential at the surface is ##k_e q\over R##. So then the work to bring a little charge ##dq## from infinity to the surface of the sphere is, as you wrote, more or less, $$dW = {k_e q\over R}\; dq$$
For the last bit of charge ##dq## to be added, there is (almost completely) a charge ##Q## on the sphere and you can expect that the work needed is $$dW = {k_e Q\over R}\; dq$$
Do you now see what the integral $$W = \int dW $$ should be ?

Likes ElPimiento and gracy
Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense, so the field from the spherical shell is
[tex] W = {k_e q\over R}\; [/tex]
so to move a charge, dq, to its surface takes an amount of work
[tex] dW = {k_e q\over R}\; dq [/tex]
and R is constant in this case (obviously, I should have realized that lol) so we can move it and Coulomb's constant out of the integral:
[tex] W = {k_e \over R} \int (q) dq [/tex]
evaluated from 0 to Q (idk how to put the endpoints), in order to get the total work.

Thank yo so much, his gives the right answer! But is my logic behind it right?

Well done.

Latex uses _ for the lower limit and ^ for the upper, so \int_0^Q gives $$\int_0^Q$$ when you use the double $ for displayed equations and ##\int_0^Q## when you use the double # for in-text equations

Likes ElPimiento and gracy
@ElPimiento Take his advice on latex. That really helps.

Thanks for all the help.

ElPimiento said:
Thank yo so much, his gives the right answer! But is my logic behind it right?
Not quite. Your first equation, W= etc., you describe as the field. You mean the potential, and it should therefore be V=...
To get to the second equation, you multiplied the right hand side by dq, so you should do the same to the left, giving Vdq. Now you can validly replace Vdq by dW.

Likes gracy and BvU

1. What is the formula for calculating the work done to charge a spherical shell?

The formula for calculating the work done to charge a spherical shell is W = QV, where W is the work done, Q is the charge of the shell, and V is the potential difference between the initial and final charge.

2. How does the radius of the spherical shell affect the work done to charge it?

The radius of the spherical shell does not affect the work done to charge it. The work done is only dependent on the charge and potential difference.

3. Is the work done to charge a spherical shell positive or negative?

The work done to charge a spherical shell is always positive. This is because work is defined as the force acting over a distance, and in this case, the force is directed in the same direction as the displacement.

4. Can the work done to charge a spherical shell be zero?

Yes, the work done to charge a spherical shell can be zero. This would occur if the potential difference between the initial and final charge is zero, meaning the charge remains the same.

5. What other factors can affect the work done to charge a spherical shell?

The only other factor that can affect the work done to charge a spherical shell is the presence of other charges in the vicinity. This can cause changes in the potential difference and therefore affect the work done.