Work to stretch a spring question (nvm, figured it out)

In summary: I understand that you like to try to figure things out for yourself, and that you are very intelligent.
gibberingmouther
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

NEVERMIND: yeah i get it now. y = k*X literally at x = X. don't know why i had trouble with that

so i see how to derive .5 * k * X^2 (work done to move a spring from rest to a length X) from calculus. but i was looking at the demonstration using a graph and i am confused about it. so the area of under the graph of y = k * x at spring length X is equal to .5 * k * X^2. you can verify this with calculus, but i don't see how it works by geometry. X ^2 + ycomponentoftriangle^2 = k^2*X^2 -> ycomponentoftriangle = X*(k^2 - 1)^.5

here's a picture of what I'm talking about: http://www.batesville.k12.in.us/Physics/PhyNet/Mechanics/Energy/spring_work_2.htm

using pythagorean's theorem i got a different result for the value of the y component of the triangle. i don't understand how it is equal to k*X (or k*x in the link) using geometry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the work equal to in your relevant equation ?
You really should use the homework forum with a useful template for this. See guidelineshttps://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Work ## W ## if taking small steps ##\Delta x## is ## W = \sum F \cdot \Delta x\ ## with ##\Delta x## so small that ##F## does not change appreciably. In the limit of ##\Delta x \downarrow 0 ## you get the integral ## W = \int F(x)\, dx ## which is the area under the curve (straight line) ##F(x)##. Nothing to do with Pythagoras or a y component.

The Attempt at a Solution

BvU said:
What is the work equal to in your relevant equation ?
You really should use the homework forum with a useful template for this. See guidelineshttps://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Work ## W ## if taking small steps ##\Delta x## is ## W = \sum F \cdot \Delta x\ ## with ##\Delta x## so small that ##F## does not change appreciably. In the limit of ##\Delta x \downarrow 0 ## you get the integral ## W = \int F(x)\, dx ## which is the area under the curve (straight line) ##F(x)##. Nothing to do with Pythagoras or a y component.

The Attempt at a Solution

it's not homework though I'm using a textbook (i took physics 1 while working on my associate's but had to withdraw because i got overloaded). i was just trying to understand the geometrical reasoning behind the formula for the work done by stretching a spring. i.e. W = .5 * k * X^2 where k is the spring constant and X is the length the spring is being stretched. i couldn't figure out why the vertical side of the triangle (see my link) was k*X. then i realized that i had overlooked the obvious: if x = X, then y = k*X, algebraically speaking.

BvU said:
Yes.
Is my story about the area understandable ?
yes. i took Calc I and II for my degree and i still remember how to do derivation and integration. i can see how to derive the work equation using calculus, but my textbook also had a geometrical demonstration that i initially couldn't understand. i know it's the same thing, basically, but i like to follow all the demonstrations in my textbook. if my textbook doesn't explain where an equation comes from, i'll try to figure it out myself or more likely look on the internet for a demonstration.

I added a link to #5

1. How does work stretch a spring?

When a force is applied to a spring, it causes the spring to stretch. This stretching of the spring is a result of work being done on the spring by the applied force. The work done on the spring is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance the spring stretches.

2. What is the relationship between work and spring stretch?

The relationship between work and spring stretch can be described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring stretches. This means that as more work is done on the spring, it will stretch further.

3. How can I calculate the work done on a spring?

The work done on a spring can be calculated using the formula W = F * d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the spring stretches. This formula assumes that the force and distance are in the same direction.

4. What factors can affect the work done on a spring?

The work done on a spring can be affected by several factors, including the amount of force applied, the distance the spring stretches, and the stiffness of the spring. Other factors such as the temperature and material of the spring can also play a role.

5. Can a spring be stretched without doing work?

No, a spring cannot be stretched without doing work. This is because stretching a spring requires applying a force, and work is defined as the product of force and distance. Even if the applied force is very small, some amount of work will still be done on the spring.