Working out internal resistance.

In summary, internal resistance is the resistance present within a battery or power source caused by the materials used and chemical reactions. It is an important factor in battery performance as it affects current flow, voltage, and power output. It can be measured using specialized equipment and can be affected by factors such as battery type, age, temperature, and load. To reduce internal resistance, high-quality materials, proper maintenance and charging, and avoiding high temperatures and heavy loads can be helpful. External resistors or components may also be used to decrease internal resistance in a circuit.
Energize
I have two different circuits and I need to work out the internal resistance of the cell.

So far I have got to 0.8(5+r)=1.2(2.5+r)

Where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the equation you have is correct, it should be relatively simple to solve. I suppose the simplest way to get you started is to suggest using the distributive property on both sides of your equation in order to "clean it up."

he means multiply out yer brackets ;)

Related to Working out internal resistance.

1. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance refers to the resistance that is present within a battery or other power source. It is caused by the resistance of the materials used in the battery and the chemical reactions that take place within it.

2. Why is internal resistance important in working out battery performance?

Internal resistance is an important factor in determining the overall performance of a battery because it affects the amount of current that can flow through the battery. Higher internal resistance can lead to a decrease in voltage and power output, resulting in reduced battery life and performance.

3. How is internal resistance measured?

Internal resistance can be measured using a multimeter or other specialized equipment. This involves applying a known load to the battery and measuring the voltage drop across the load. The internal resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's law (R=V/I).

4. What factors can affect internal resistance?

The internal resistance of a battery can be affected by various factors, including the type of battery, its age and condition, temperature, and the type of load it is powering. Higher temperatures and heavier loads can lead to increased internal resistance.

5. How can internal resistance be reduced?

Internal resistance can be reduced by using high-quality materials in the construction of the battery, proper maintenance and charging techniques, and avoiding high temperatures and heavy loads. In some cases, external resistors or other components may be used to help reduce internal resistance in a circuit.