Working out the impedance of a network query

In summary, the task is to calculate the J notation impedance of a network consisting of an inductor in series with a resistor and both in parallel with a capacitor. The complex conjugate method is used to find the impedance."
lubo

Homework Statement

Calculate the J notation impedance of the network

We have an inductor in series with a resistor and both in parallel with a capacitor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i believe it is true that if I was to say: if I have an inductor in parallel with a capacitor then:

Product/Sum = XL*-XC/XL-XC

This would then go like (XL*-XC)(XL+XC) / (XL-XC)(XL+XC) because of complex conjugate.

If this then was as above in the original setup:

We have an inductor in series with a resistor and both in parallel with a capacitor.

then could you say:

(R+JXL)*(-JXC) / (R+JXL-JXC) or (R+J(XL-XC))

Could I then say by complex conjugate:

((R+JXL)*(-JXC)) (R-J(XL-XC)) / (R+J(XL-XC)) (R-J(XL-XC))

Thanks for any help in advance, it is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lubo said:

then could you say:

(R+JXL)*(-JXC) / (R+JXL-JXC) or (R+J(XL-XC))

Could I then say by complex conjugate:

((R+JXL)*(-JXC)) (R-J(XL-XC)) / (R+J(XL-XC)) (R-J(XL-XC))

It looks correct.

ehild

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is the measure of opposition to the flow of an alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms.

2. Why is it important to calculate the impedance of a network?

Calculating the impedance of a network allows us to understand how the network will behave in response to an AC current. It helps us design and troubleshoot circuits, as well as determine the power and voltage that will be delivered to the components in the network.

3. How is the impedance of a network calculated?

The impedance of a network can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that impedance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. It can also be calculated using the complex impedance formula, which takes into account both resistance and reactance in a circuit.

4. What factors affect the impedance of a network?

The impedance of a network is affected by the resistance and reactance of the components in the circuit. It is also affected by the frequency of the AC current and the topology of the network (i.e. series or parallel).

5. How does impedance differ from resistance?

Resistance is the measure of opposition to the flow of a direct current (DC) in a circuit, while impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance in an AC circuit. Impedance is a complex quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and phase, while resistance is a real quantity with only magnitude.