Calculating Impedance of a RLC Circuit Connected to a 60 Hz AC Source

In summary: The magnitude of the current is| i | = sqrt( 25/169 + 1/169) = sqrt( 26/169 ) = 1/13So, the total impedance is | z | = | i | * | v | = (1/13) * 20 = 20/13 = 1.53846 ohms.
ayajek

Homework Statement

A series RLC circuit is connected to a 60 Hz AC source which produces an amplitude of εmax=20 V. The circuit element values are R= 20 Ω, L= 20 mH, C= 150 μF.

Calculate the total impedance of the circuit.

Homework Equations

Xc=1/ωC
XL=ωL
Z=√(R^2 +(XL-Xc)^2)
tan φ = (XL-Xc)/R
ω=1/√LC
εmax=Imax*Z

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out with Z=√(R^2 +(XL-Xc)^2) , and to get XL and Xc I used ω=2*pi*f .
I got my XL and Xc marked wrong. It wasn't a calculation mistake, so am I approaching the answer incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
ayajek said:
Calculate the total impedance of the circuit.
ayajek said:
am I approaching the answer incorrectly?
It seems that your approach is correct, though I don't like your sign conventions. Example:

tan φ = (XL-Xc)/R.

I'd rather write:

tan φ = (XL+Xc)/R , but the value of Xc is negative.

I don't know if you are familiar with complex calculations where Z could be calculated as

Z = R + jωL + 1/( jωC ) = R + jωL + ( -j / ( ωC ) ).

Inductive reactance

Xl = 2pi f L

Capacitive reactance

Xc = 1 / (2pi f c)

If you can use complex numbers (makes this much simpler)

z = R + j(Xl - Xc)
So, for example if
Xl = 12 ohms
Xc = 17 ohms
R = 25 ohms

you would have

z = 25 - j5 ohms

(because 12-17 = -5)and you can happily use ohms law to get the current

i = v / z

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating impedance in a RLC circuit connected to a 60 Hz AC source?

The formula for calculating impedance in a RLC (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) circuit connected to a 60 Hz AC source is Z = √(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2), where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance.

2. How do I calculate the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance in a RLC circuit?

The inductive reactance (XL) can be calculated using the formula XL = 2πfL, where f is the frequency of the AC source and L is the inductance of the inductor. The capacitive reactance (XC) can be calculated using the formula XC = 1/(2πfC), where f is the frequency of the AC source and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. What is the significance of the frequency of the AC source in calculating impedance in a RLC circuit?

The frequency of the AC source is a crucial factor in calculating impedance in a RLC circuit because it determines the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance, which are both dependent on frequency. A change in frequency can significantly affect the overall impedance of the circuit.

4. Can the resistance in a RLC circuit affect the overall impedance?

Yes, the resistance (R) in a RLC circuit can affect the overall impedance. The higher the resistance, the higher the overall impedance will be. This is because resistance directly affects the real part of the impedance, while inductive and capacitive reactance affect the imaginary part of the impedance.

5. How does the impedance affect the behavior of a RLC circuit connected to a 60 Hz AC source?

The impedance plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of a RLC circuit connected to a 60 Hz AC source. It affects the flow of current in the circuit, and a higher impedance can lead to a decrease in the current. Additionally, the phase angle of the impedance can also affect the phase difference between the voltage and current in the circuit.