Does a University's Global Ranking Affect Job Prospects and Salary?

In summary, if you graduate from a university with a world ranking of "6977" with a 4 year Software Engineering degree {BSc(Hons),Eng} your qualification will have a good acceptance at the international level.
HyperTechno
If I graduate from a university that possesses the world ranking of "6977" with a 4 year Software Engineering degree {BSc(Hons),Eng} what kind of acceptance my qualification will have at the international level? Won't I be able to enjoy a good salary? Will my degree get rejected? The degree however is accredited by IET UK. Thank You.

[I've uploaded the curriculum too.]

Attachments

• Software 1.PNG
    Software 1.PNG
    42.9 KB · Views: 469
  • software 2.PNG
    software 2.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 451
  • software 3.PNG
    software 3.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
At the end of the day it doesn't matter where you graduate from if you can show you meet the requirements for the job. Furthermore I know a few guys who didn't go to college but were passionate about their skills, learned on their own and are doing extremely well. Go the best school you can afford and which meets your needs. The rest is up to you. The university's name alone won't make you successful.

Likes BillTre
Greg Bernhardt said:
At the end of the day it doesn't matter where you graduate from if you can show you meet the requirements for the job. Furthermore I know a few guys who didn't go to college but were passionate about their skills, learned on their own and are doing extremely well. Go the best school you can afford and which meets your needs. The rest is up to you. The university's name alone won't make you successful.
Thank you. I know that the real talent is the most important thing. But, when it comes to applying jobs, usually those who've graduated from a well recognized university with a good global rank, gets more attention. Am I wrong?... I meant, would I miss opportunities due to the lower ranking of the university?

HyperTechno said:
Am I wrong?... I meant, would I miss opportunities due to the lower ranking of the university?
It's all probability. Bigger universities have more resources, connections and generally better staff, however like I said, there are hordes of extremely successful people out there who either went to a "lesser" named school or didn't even go to university. Go to the place you feel the most confident and comfortable in. The rest is up to you in studying and generating ambition.

Likes HyperTechno
You might want to look up data on where graduates of this program are getting work. If they don't publish statistics on that kind of thing, contact them and ask. If graduates are getting jobs in the field that you would like to work in, then it's a pretty safe bet that similar options will be available to you when you graduate.

Hiring committees or managers tend to be concerned with:
  1. whether or not the candidate is qualified for the position
  2. what experience the candidate brings in
  3. additional hard skills the candidate brings in
  4. the candidate's soft skills (communication, leadership, initiative, creativity, etc.)
  5. how well the candidate will fit in with the current team
In my experience, one's academic pedigree is rarely a decisive factor in hiring, except in how it plays into the above points.

Likes HyperTechno and Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
It's all probability. Bigger universities have more resources, connections and generally better staff, however like I said, there are hordes of extremely successful people out there who either went to a "lesser" named school or didn't even go to university. Go to the place you feel the most confident and comfortable in. The rest is up to you in studying and generating ambition.
May be I'm going a bit off the topic. But as you are an adult and an experienced person, I like to have some advice from you. I have two options . One is attending a Local university(globally ranked at 6977). Other is going abroad for higher education, in my case, Japan. The advantage of the local university is that I can afford the entire course fee without doing a part time job. So I can have a lot of time to studies. If I go to Japan, I get the chance to study from highly recognized universities, which are ranked much higher than the local university that I've state about. But then, I can only afford the initial costs. I definitely have to do a part time job, 28 hours a week to pay for the tuition, books, living, and other general needs. (may be I get the chance to work more time on vacations). I'm afraid that I won't find sufficient time for studies, that I won't be able to complete my studies successfully, as I've to work while studying. What kind of advice you can give to me, what's the most convenient thing that you think I should be doing?. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

What is the purpose of world university rankings?

World university rankings are used to evaluate the quality and reputation of higher education institutions. They provide a way for students, researchers, and policymakers to compare universities on a global scale and make informed decisions about where to study or invest.

How are university rankings determined?

University rankings are determined by various factors such as research output, faculty-to-student ratio, international diversity, and reputation among academics and employers. Different ranking organizations may use different criteria and weighting systems, so it's important to understand the methodology behind each ranking.

What is the most influential university ranking?

The most influential university ranking is often considered to be the QS World University Rankings, which is based on six indicators: academic reputation, employer reputation, faculty-to-student ratio, citations per faculty, international faculty ratio, and international student ratio. However, other rankings such as the Times Higher Education World University Rankings and the Shanghai Ranking also carry significant weight.

Can universities manipulate their rankings?

While universities cannot directly manipulate their rankings, they can take certain actions to improve their scores. This may include increasing research output, hiring more international faculty, or focusing on improving their reputation among academics and employers. However, these actions should be taken with the goal of improving the quality of education, rather than solely to improve rankings.

How important are university rankings in choosing a university?

University rankings should not be the sole factor in choosing a university. While they can provide valuable information, it's important to also consider factors such as program offerings, location, cost, and personal preferences. It's also important to remember that rankings can be subjective and may not necessarily reflect the overall quality of a university.