Would a blog-like "work in progress" thread fit into PF?

• Thread starter keenPenguin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fit Thread
In summary, the individual has found that posting regular updates and progress on their hobby game development forum has helped them to focus, outline their work, and write quickly. They would like to replicate this experience on the Physics Forums by creating a similar thread in the classical physics section. However, after discussing with the Mentors, it is determined that this type of thread does not fit into the PF paradigm and therefore cannot be created.
keenPenguin
As a graduate student in applied mathematics (solid mechanics, elasticity) I find the process of writing difficult and I have been getting better at it progressively and very slowly. But as a hobbyist video game developer, I have opened a "work in progress" thread on my game in a game development forum and have made it a habit to post my progress several times a week (for months now). I found that forcing myself to present something to an audience at regular and short time intervals makes me focus, outline a self-contained and manageable question, identify what is truly important, stick to the plan and write it fast.

I would like to replicate the same thing with a thread at PF. I think that teaching myself to write short post would help me get better at writing papers and my thesis. I would write bite sized posts on things I am working on, recent mathematical insights of mine (which may be trivial to some), occasionally about the Mathematica software, and other things.

Having tried that on a wordpress blog, I find that one critical component is lacking: The audience. In the game dev forum, occasionally someone would comment, suggest to change something, criticise, or just give a thumbs up. This is incredibly valuable. Without that, I would not have sustained regular contributions in that forum.

I was wondering if you feel a blog-like thread would fit into PF. If yes, where should it go (General Discussion or Classical Mechanics)? I am looking for a way to recreate my productive experience of a "work in progress" thread in the video game development community.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the game development forum organized? Does it have a special section for work-in-progress posts? Do you post your progress in one long thread?

Blog sites are hard to navigate. The organization of pages isn't concise. They'd do better to imitate the "sections and threads-in-sections" display of a forum. I occasionally comment on blog pages, but only after stumbling upon them during an internet search. I don't exert myself to follow blogs. An unfilled niche in the business of the web is a site that summarizes and organizes blog content.

The way it is done in game dev, and the way I would do it in PF, is having one long thread. Inevitably, it will be mostly me posting. But (hopefully) once in a while others would jump in and comment. In thr meantime, thr views counter would count up. I think knowing that someone might read this and might comment makes a big difference to me as a poster and will I force a certain standard, other than a WordPress blog which likely no one reads.

keenPenguin said:
I was wondering if you feel a blog-like thread would fit into PF.
We no longer have blog space available to members, so the answer would be no.

I am not really looking for a particular space. I would like to open a thread in the classical physics section of the forum. Only, it wouldn't be a question, it would be various things I have to say. I'd like to try and open it if you don't mind, and if you feel the content is inappropriate after a post or two we can move/close it. It is going to be my journey and my musings through mechanics in the classical physics section. OK?

keenPenguin said:
I am not really looking for a particular space. I would like to open a thread in the classical physics section of the forum. Only, it wouldn't be a question, it would be various things I have to say. I'd like to try and open it if you don't mind, and if you feel the content is inappropriate after a post or two we can move/close it. It is going to be my journey and my musings through mechanics in the classical physics section. OK?

Please don't do that yet. The Mentors are discussing this thread...

No problem, and thank you for discussing. If it makes things easier, https://airlich.wordpress.com/2015/06/08/ellipse-in-polar-coordinates-is-obvious-right/ is a recent post from my blog, and my posts would be in this fashion. They would be mostly about mechanics, though. The post I am currently writing is about one-dimensional growth of an elastic material. I simply would rather publish these within the community than on an isolated blog because users here will no doubt have helpful comments. Perhaps this makes things clearer.

Last edited by a moderator:
@keenPenguin -- After an extensive Mentor discussion, what you are proposing just doesn't fit into the PF paradigm. Sorry. :wink:

1. What exactly is a "work in progress" thread?

A "work in progress" thread is a type of blog or online journal where an individual shares ongoing updates and progress on a specific project, idea, or topic. It is a way for the individual to document their process and receive feedback from others in a public forum.

2. How is a "work in progress" thread different from a regular blog?

A "work in progress" thread differs from a regular blog in that it is focused on a specific project or topic, rather than a general range of subjects. It also allows for ongoing updates and discussions, rather than just one-time posts.

3. Would a "work in progress" thread be appropriate for a science-based forum like PF?

Yes, a "work in progress" thread could be a great fit for a science-based forum like PF. It would allow scientists and researchers to share their ongoing projects and receive feedback and support from fellow experts in their field.

4. Can anyone start a "work in progress" thread on PF?

Yes, anyone can start a "work in progress" thread on PF as long as it follows the forum's guidelines and is relevant to the science-based community. It is important to provide clear and detailed updates, as well as engage in discussions with other members.

5. Are there any benefits to having a "work in progress" thread on PF?

Yes, there are several benefits to having a "work in progress" thread on PF. It allows for collaboration and feedback from a knowledgeable community, helps to document and track progress, and can serve as a source of motivation and accountability for the individual.