Would a guitar tuner work on a human voice ?

In summary, the guitar tuner app should work for single notes, but you may need to whistle to get the "OK" light to come on.
btb4198
So I have a program that works for a guitar, and sinewave and a saw tooth wave .
so If a have person sing a note, it should work for that right ?
I am not talking about sing a whole song but just a note.
so like when people sing the scales:
do ra me fa so la ti do
is should would for that right ? are there something I do not know ? I do know the human voice is closest to a saw tooth wave.

also would it work if a person sings a song acapella?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I tried it on my KORG tuner and it responded using the do ra me...

if i wavered my voice a little I was able to get the green light to turn on and the meter to register a guitar string so its picking up some tone from my voice but I couldn't hold it for long. I guess you won';t be seeing me on American Idol, oh well.

btb4198 said:
So I have a program that works for a guitar, and sinewave and a saw tooth wave .
so If a have person sing a note, it should work for that right ?
I am not talking about sing a whole song but just a note.
so like when people sing the scales:
do ra me fa so la ti do
is should would for that right ? are there something I do not know ? I do know the human voice is closest to a saw tooth wave.

also would it work if a person sings a song acapella?
Why not just try it? There a loads of free tuner apps for your phone or PC. You could practice and do it as a party trick. :D

sophiecentaur said:
Why not just try it? There a loads of free tuner apps for your phone or PC. You could practice and do it as a party trick. :D

lol I can't sing... There no way I can sing a "C-4" and know it is "C-4". I know a guy that says he can do it, but he is busy with finals and then he is going out of town, so more than lately I will not see him until the school starts up again. I am trying to test my program but I did download a free tuner app and my program seem to work as good as the tuner for a guitar.

Also, I could not find a video of anyone just singing one note at a time and saying which note they are singing. I have been looking but no luck.

I have made my iPhone tuner work by whistling and finding where the OK light comes on. The tuner I use has a graphical (rolling) display to help you zero in. (Guitar Tuna)

1. Can a guitar tuner accurately tune a human voice?

Yes, a guitar tuner can accurately tune a human voice. However, the tuner may not be able to detect the exact pitch and frequency of a human voice as it is designed to tune instruments with specific pitches.

2. What type of guitar tuner should I use for tuning a human voice?

You can use any type of guitar tuner for tuning a human voice, but it is recommended to use a chromatic tuner which can detect a wider range of frequencies.

3. Will a guitar tuner work for all types of human voices?

Yes, a guitar tuner can work for all types of human voices as long as it is able to detect the pitch and frequency of the voice. However, some tuners may have limitations for extremely low or high pitches.

4. How accurate is a guitar tuner for tuning a human voice?

The accuracy of a guitar tuner for tuning a human voice may vary. Some tuners may be more accurate than others, but it ultimately depends on the quality and sensitivity of the tuner.

5. Can a guitar tuner be used for vocal training?

Yes, a guitar tuner can be used for vocal training as it can help singers to stay in tune and improve their pitch accuracy. However, it should not be solely relied upon as a vocal training tool and should be used in conjunction with other vocal exercises and techniques.