Would a reverse wing sweep be better for speeds above Mach 2

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a reverse wing sweep and its potential use on aircraft for high-speed turning. It is mentioned that there are trade-offs with a forward swept wing, including reduced yaw stability. The conversation also touches on the design considerations for modern fighters and the role of stability in maneuvering. The Grumman X-29 is brought up as an example of a successful implementation of this concept, but there are also concerns about potential instability and flutter problems.
Joseph Wood
I am curious about a reverse wing sweep because it could be used on an aircraft for turning at high speeds at higher than Mach two.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of trade-offs with a forward swept wing. One that comes to mind in modern fighters is that the yaw stability is reduced. If stealth is desired, the vertical tail is minimized and there is already a danger of yaw instability. But that is just one of many considerations.

FactChecker said:
One that comes to mind in modern fighters is that the yaw stability is reduced.

I thought stability is the last thing you want in a modern fighter? I mean - aren't they designed to be unstable, as it allows fast maneuvering?

Likes russ_watters
Borek said:
I thought stability is the last thing you want in a modern fighter? I mean - aren't they designed to be unstable, as it allows fast maneuvering?
You are right that you don't want too much stability because the plane will be slow to react. But that is mostly in the roll and pitch axes that are critical for maneuvering. I don't think that there is any benefit to having a low yaw stability margin (this is pushing the limits of my knowledge of the subject). Of course the plane must not be so unstable in any axis that the flight controls can not handle it. The Air Force will specify that the plane must have a certain minimal closed loop stability phase and gain margins. The margin allows for some safety, even with deterioration in the plane and controls, future modifications, and new weapons loaded.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Earlier concept.
f55be65ba547d5b1ba16cb173427847b.jpg

Noisy Rhysling said:
Earlier concept.

Considering that Grumman need a computer to control the X-29 I wonder what the results of the test flight of the German prototype were.

gleem said:
Considering that Grumman need a computer to control the X-29 I wonder what the results of the test flight of the German prototype were.
Never flew.

A big problem with reverse wing sweep is that it is liable to cause nasty instability and flutter problems (described as "aeroelastic divergent twisting" in the Wikipedia article on the X-29) when the wing flexes. A small amount of flexing obviously tends to twist the end in a direction which will tend to amplify the effect. For the X-29 they did some clever engineering tricks to overcome that such that bending the wing one way caused the end to twist in the opposite direction.

Likes FactChecker

1. How does a reverse wing sweep affect aircraft speed?

A reverse wing sweep, also known as a forward swept wing, can potentially increase the speed of an aircraft above Mach 2 by reducing drag and improving maneuverability. However, it also comes with its own set of challenges and trade-offs.

2. What are the advantages of a reverse wing sweep for supersonic flight?

The main advantage of a reverse wing sweep for supersonic flight is that it helps to delay the onset of shock waves, which can cause drag and reduce speed. This allows the aircraft to maintain higher speeds and maneuver more efficiently.

3. Are there any drawbacks to using a reverse wing sweep for high speeds?

One drawback of a reverse wing sweep is that it can cause structural instability and flutter at high speeds. This is due to the increased bending and twisting forces on the wings. Additionally, the placement of engines and other components can be more difficult with a reverse wing sweep design.

4. How does a reverse wing sweep compare to a traditional swept wing for supersonic flight?

A traditional swept wing is better suited for supersonic flight, as it has been extensively studied and optimized for high speeds. It also offers better stability and control. However, a reverse wing sweep may be more efficient for certain types of high-speed maneuvers.

5. Is a reverse wing sweep feasible for commercial aircraft?

While reverse wing sweep designs have been used in military aircraft, they have not yet been widely adopted for commercial aircraft. The complexities and challenges of this design make it less practical for large commercial planes. However, it may be more feasible for smaller, high-speed aircraft such as business jets and supersonic transports.