Would it be possible to make something float?

In summary: You need a support system (a balloon, a boat, a person) that can hold the object up and provide a large enough area of electric contact.
doglover9754
Gold Member
While waiting in the doctor’s office, I looked at a balloon sticker on the wall. That made me think (once again). Would it be possible to make something float without using your basic flotation stuff (helium and propellers mostly)? I was thinking in more of a futuristic themed way. Like magnets, would it be possible to make something float by reversing that “force” (I’m honestly not sure what the reaction is between 2 magnets so I’ll just call it a force for now)? I’ve seen magnets float because you put 2 positives together (I haven’t done that experiment in a while so please forgive me if I’m wrong) and then one floats on top the other. Would that be possible for gravity (here I go again with gravity... heh heh. Sorry for all of you who hate my questions)? I was just curious that’s all. I pretty much need a yes or no kind of answer just to clear up my question (no need for a scientific explanation because I just finished school and my brain is fried). If anyone could help me, that would be awesome as usual! Thank you to all of you who put up with this kind of stuff (I’m sure it’s tiring to read all these kinds of stuff everyday)! Also, I’m not sure what prefix this would fall under so please bear with me if I’m wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking about floating on water or floating on air?

We already have trains that "float" themselves above the rails using magnetism. We call it maglev. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev It is pretty cool.

But floating on water. What do you think is the difference between something that floats and something that sinks?

Likes lekh2003
If you just put a magnet over another magnet, it could float momentarily, but it won't be stable. You can stabilize it using active feedback or superconductors or a simple physical rod.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation

anorlunda said:
What do you think is the difference between something that floats and something that sinks?
The density of the object?

I was just thinking of making floating cars. Dumb idea huh? :sorry: This is the kind of stuff that I get quite often... ideas that don’t seem realistic sometimes.

doglover9754 said:
I was thinking in more of a futuristic themed way. Like magnets, would it be possible to make something float by reversing that “force” (I’m honestly not sure what the reaction is between 2 magnets so I’ll just call it a force for now)?
Look up "maglev" (short for magnetic levitation). There are trains running in S. Korea, China, and Japan that use this technology.

Likes doglover9754
doglover9754 said:
glass floats on mercury. glass sinks in water. glass density = glass density. Want to try again?

phinds said:
glass floats on mercury. glass sinks in water. glass density = glass density. Want to try again?
Glass floats on mercury?! I never knew that!

phinds said:
Um... one floats and one sinks? That’s all I’ve got for now...

doglover9754 said:
Glass floats on mercury?! I never knew that!
You can read up on buoyancy, it isn't very difficult. Objects with lower densities float in higher density liquids. The glass on Mercury observation occurs because Mercury has a higher density than glass.

Likes symbolipoint
Mark44 said:
Look up "maglev" (short for magnetic levitation). There are trains running in S. Korea, China, and Japan that use this technology.
I sure will! But I was leaning more towards flotation without magnets. The rails of the trains are magnetic an the bottom of the train is also magnetic right? I heard that somewhere... would it be possible to reverse gravity? Kinda like how you reverse magnets (positive and negative sides). I mean, reversing gravity would mean that things would just float right? Would there be a solution to making a limit to how high it can float above the ground? That’s the kind of stuff I was looking for but I think I have a better idea of how this “reaction” works. Thanks!

lekh2003 said:
You can read up on buoyancy, it isn't very difficult. Objects with lower densities float in higher density liquids. The glass on Mercury observation occurs because Mercury has a higher density than glass.
Ahhh. So it was density!

Likes symbolipoint and lekh2003
doglover9754 said:
:cry: @lekh2003 I said that above lol

doglover9754 said:
:cry: @lekh2003 I said that above lol
:biggrin:

doglover9754 said:
I heard that somewhere... would it be possible to reverse gravity?

currently, only in science fiction

Likes lekh2003
Going back to that balloon: You can support a low density object with Electrostatic forces. We have all (?) done the trick involving rubbing a balloon on our hair or jumper and found that it sticks to the ceiling. Electric forces are immensely strong at small distances (they keep solids from coming apart under stress). Unfortunately (you could say) these forces fall off very fast with distance so actually getting something to 'float' at a significant distance from a surface is hard to achieve. A high voltage generator (several tens of kV DC) would achieve this but you would need some feedback arrangement to control the Volts or the object would stick to or fall off from the surface. This is also true for magnetic levitation in most cases (except where you can use a superconductor over a magnet).

doglover9754 said:
I heard that somewhere... would it be possible to reverse gravity?

It is time to learn some of the rules here @doglover9754. Your not allowed to say "I heard somewhere". On PF, you must give a link to where you read it, so that we can see exactly what it says.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
It seems the thread has run its course with several good answers and advice. Before it will turn into a chat room, I'll close it now.

Likes lekh2003

1. Can any object be made to float?

No, not every object can be made to float. An object's ability to float depends on its density and the density of the liquid it is placed in. If the object's density is less than the density of the liquid, it will float. If the object's density is greater than the density of the liquid, it will sink.

2. What materials are needed to make something float?

The most common materials used to make something float are air-filled objects such as balloons or inflatable rafts. However, other materials such as foam, wood, and even certain metals can also be used depending on their density and shape.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its ability to float?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its ability to float. Objects that are more spread out or have a concave shape displace more water and have a greater buoyant force, making them more likely to float. On the other hand, objects with a narrow or convex shape displace less water and have a smaller buoyant force, making them more likely to sink.

4. Can you make something that normally sinks, float?

Yes, it is possible to make something that normally sinks float. This can be done by changing the object's density. For example, adding air pockets or filling the object with a less dense substance can increase its overall volume and decrease its density, allowing it to float.

5. What is the relationship between mass and buoyancy when it comes to floating?

The relationship between mass and buoyancy is important when determining if an object will float. The buoyant force, which is the force that pushes up on an object in a liquid, is equal to the weight of the liquid displaced by the object. Therefore, if an object's mass is greater than the weight of the liquid it displaces, it will sink. If its mass is less than the weight of the liquid it displaces, it will float.