Would there be an upper limit to density in QM?

In summary: It is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape. Therefore, the concept of a particle in a box does not apply to a black hole.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Admitted I know very little about QM, but I've been thinking about black holes and I wondered if there would be an upper limit to density of an object of the smallest size allowable if the particles are not being observed by anyone (since black holes are black)? I ignorantly wondered that classically perhaps even though an atom is 99.99% empty space or so there seemly would be a logical upper limit to the density of an object because 0.01% of that atom is not empty but in QM all is waves and probability so this might not be the case here. Please make your answers understandable (I've taken a standard 3 semester sequence course of physics and math through analysis). Thanks for your time physicists, hope you don't mind a noob question.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as quantum mechanics (and also classical mechanics with its point particles) is concerned, there is no upper limit to the density of an object.
However, nether of these theories have been tested at arbitrarily high densities and it's quite likely that some as-yet-unknown physics will come into play at some point.

So the answer to your question is basically "as far as we know QM doesn't enforce a limit, but that doesn't mean there isn't one".

It's been 10+ years since I took physics in college and clearly I've forgotten some things (thanks for being kind) but I remember the particle in a box lecture quite well (barrier tunneling). Could this approach be applied to particle in a black hole? Because when I think what in nature might qualify as an infinite potential wall I think the event horizon of a black hole might just be it.

benorin said:
Could this approach be applied to particle in a black hole? Because when I think what in nature might qualify as an infinite potential wall I think the event horizon of a black hole might just be it.
No. The event horizon of a black hole is nothing like a wall or barrier.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Would there be an upper limit to density in QM?

1. What is the concept of density in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, density refers to the probability of finding a particle at a specific location in space. It is represented by a mathematical function known as the density operator, which describes the distribution of particles in a given system.

2. Is there an upper limit to density in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there is an upper limit to density in quantum mechanics, known as the maximum density theorem. This theorem states that the density of a system cannot exceed a certain value, which is determined by the number of particles in the system and the size of the space in which they are confined.

3. What factors affect the maximum density in quantum mechanics?

The maximum density in quantum mechanics is affected by the number of particles in the system and the size of the space in which they are confined. Additionally, the type of particles and their interactions also play a role in determining the maximum density.

4. Can the maximum density be exceeded in quantum mechanics?

No, according to the maximum density theorem, the maximum density cannot be exceeded in quantum mechanics. However, in certain extreme conditions such as black holes, the laws of quantum mechanics may break down, and the concept of density may no longer be applicable.

5. How does the concept of density in quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, density refers to the mass per unit volume of a substance. In quantum mechanics, density refers to the probability of finding a particle at a specific location in space. Additionally, the maximum density theorem does not apply in classical mechanics, as particles can be compressed infinitely close together without any restrictions.