Would VR cause human extinction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of people living in a full dive VR world and how many would choose to stay in the real world. The topic is considered too speculative to discuss at this time.
sciencel0ver
If we have full dive VR would there still be people living in real life apart from poeple who maintain the VR equipment ? I am referring to VR brain implants/BCIs not VR headsets, googles, etc? I am asking hypothetically since i know that full dive VR is still a while away

If you were to give a rough estimate what percentage of people would stay in the real world instead of using these devices? 1 Percent maybe

Computer science news on Phys.org
sciencel0ver said:
If you were to give a rough estimate what percentage of people would stay in the real world instead of using these devices? 1 Percent maybe
99% maybe? OK, maybe only 95%.

Likes russ_watters and Mark44
I need to pause this simulation briefly while I decide which path to take...

sciencel0ver said:
I am asking hypothetically since i know that full dive VR is still a while away

Unfortunately, this topic is too speculative to discuss right now on the PF. Maybe in a few years... Thread is closed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes anorlunda and phinds

1. How would VR cause human extinction?

VR alone cannot cause human extinction. It is simply a technology that allows people to experience simulated environments. However, there are concerns that if VR becomes the primary mode of existence for humans, it could lead to a decline in physical and social interactions, potentially impacting our survival as a species.

2. Can VR lead to psychological or physical harm that could result in extinction?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that VR can directly cause psychological or physical harm. However, excessive or improper use of VR can lead to adverse effects such as motion sickness, eye strain, and disorientation. In extreme cases, these effects may impact an individual's ability to function in the real world, but it is unlikely to result in human extinction.

3. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the use of VR that could lead to extinction?

Some experts have raised ethical concerns regarding the potential addictive nature of VR and its impact on the social and emotional well-being of individuals and society as a whole. However, it is important to note that these concerns are still speculative, and there is currently no evidence to suggest that VR use could lead to extinction.

4. Could VR technology advance to the point where it replaces the need for physical existence?

While VR technology is rapidly advancing, it is highly unlikely that it could ever fully replace the need for physical existence. Human beings have complex physical, emotional, and social needs that cannot be fulfilled solely through VR experiences. It is more likely that VR will continue to be used as a tool for entertainment, education, and communication, rather than a replacement for reality.

5. Is there any research being done to address the potential risks of VR on human existence?

There is ongoing research being conducted on the potential risks and benefits of VR technology. This includes studies on the psychological and physiological effects of VR, as well as ethical implications. As VR technology continues to develop and become more widespread, it is important for researchers and experts to closely monitor its impacts on human existence.