Would you see the stars in the day if blue were filtered?

• Thread starter Vriska
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary: It will make a big difference as you are attenuating the light from the stars too.Yes, this is definitely true.
Vriska
Would you be able to see stars in the day if the blue of the sky was filtered through an optical filter ? Can I make myself glasses using optical filters that'll enable me to look at the stars even in the day ? If the reason for the fact that we are unable to see stars in the day be the scattered blue light is brighter than the light of the stars , surely filtering out the blue light would enable me to see the stars even during the day .

Physics news on Phys.org
A blue filter would allow you to see the other scattered wavelengths more clearly. Why do you suppose ground-based astronomers only go out at night?

Just one point, while it might possibly help, a filter is of limited use since the scattered light is not blue - if I am not mistaken it as a full spectrum, weighted towards the blue end but not limited to a small range of wavelengths, so you wouldn't be able to cleanly remove the scattered light.

You can view some planets in daylight though (no need for a filter) but galaxies are far too faint and I doubt a filter would be of significant help. Also you do want to observe as much of the spectrum of the galaxy or star as you can.

Last edited:
wabbit said:
Just one point, while it might possibly help, a filter is of limited use since the scattered light is not blue - if I am not mistaken it as a full spectrum, weighted towards the blue end but not limited to a small range of wavelengths, so you wouldn't be able to cleanly remove the scattered light.

You can view some planets in daylight though (no need for a filter) but galaxies are far too faint and I doubt a filter would be of significant help. Also you do want to observe as much of the spectrum of the galaxy or star as you can.
What if I filtered all the colours from violet to green ? Yes , you'd want to observe as much of the spectrum of the various stars as possible to make astronomical observations but for casual sky gazing , I think , filtering colours from violet to green won't make a huge difference .

I'll ask you again, why do you suppose ground-based astronomers only go out at night?

phinds said:
I'll ask you again, why do you suppose ground-based astronomers only go out at night?
I think the answer to this could have gone without saying but apparently not. The answer is because it's much better at night. Except that is not the OP's question.

DaveC426913 said:
I think the answer to this could have gone without saying but apparently not. The answer is because it's much better at night. Except that is not the OP's question.
Fair enough.

Vriska said:
What if I filtered all the colours from violet to green ? Yes , you'd want to observe as much of the spectrum of the various stars as possible to make astronomical observations but for casual sky gazing , I think , filtering colours from violet to green won't make a huge difference .
It will make a big difference as you are attenuating the light from the stars too.
Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Spectrum_of_blue_sky.svg from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_sky_radiation, the peak is above 500nm - it's more blue-tinted white that blue really.
But the best thing to do I think is just try looking through some filters and see. You will need to protect your eyes from stray light though, so your pupils adapt to the lower intensity.

1. Can you see the stars during the day if blue light is filtered?

Yes, it is possible to see the stars during the day if blue light is filtered. Blue light from the sun is scattered in the Earth's atmosphere, making the sky appear blue. By filtering out this blue light, the sky will appear darker and the stars will become visible.

2. How does filtering blue light affect our ability to see stars during the day?

Filtering blue light reduces the amount of light in the atmosphere, making the sky appear darker. This allows our eyes to adjust and see fainter objects, such as stars, that would normally be washed out by the bright blue sky.

3. What are the different methods for filtering blue light?

There are several methods for filtering blue light, including using special lenses or filters on telescopes, using specialized glasses or goggles, or using software to digitally filter out blue light in photographs.

4. Can filtering blue light have any negative effects on our vision?

Filtering blue light can potentially have negative effects on our vision if not done properly. Our eyes rely on blue light for certain functions, such as regulating our sleep patterns and helping with color perception. Filtering out too much blue light can disrupt these functions and cause eye strain or other vision problems.

5. Is there a specific time of day when it is best to filter blue light to see stars?

The best time to filter blue light to see stars during the day is when the sun is low on the horizon, such as during sunrise or sunset. This is because the blue light is scattered less at these times, making it easier to filter out and see the stars.